Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Hi Joe
The new hotel is opening next year but up to now information and photos haven't been available. The area where it is supposedly being built is very remote but the beaches are fabulous. It looks like you will spend most of the time in the hotel but there should be the usual trips I don't think mozies should be a problem but take everything you are likely to need as its very Third World away from the hotels and prices of imported items in the hotels are extortionate. I Look forward to your review as I hope to try this hotel at some point in the future.
Click on the My Media link to the side there are a couple of slideshows that may be of interest to you.
Thanks for that Nick, I will post my review and also my photo's on return.

Cheers

Joe :tup
Hi Joe,
We have booked the Riu Touareg too and can't find out which beach it's on/going to be on(!) Would you know please? I've donwloaded a map of Boa Vista but can't find any location more exact than 'Boa Vista in any literature'!
Its on playaLacaco the Southern most part of the island. Suspect it doesn't look much like its promo video yet. Loads of Cape Verde info on this link:

http://www.boavistaexperience.com/
Hi nickmackuk

We've been considering going to Sal in October for a couple of weeks now and looking at your media pictures has inspired me.

I've just booked to go in October. I worship the sun but my OH needs shade. If we don't get up early enough (and we probably won't) to get a thatched shade on the the beach, is there anywhere else we can get shade on the beach or should we buy a parasol and take it with us.
It can be difficult getting shade but if there is just the 2 of you I think you will be OK. We did take one of those beach tents that serves as windbreak and shade if required :sun2
Thanks for your prompt reply

There are only the two of us so we should be OK.

We're Cape Verde virgins, fancied a change from Goa, got far too busy and too much hassle now to get visas.

Should we take Malaria tablets? I know the risk is low but I'd rather hear from someone who has travelled there before.
We didn't take any malaria tablets visited Sal in Feb no mozzies and Boa Vista June there were a few mozzies the second week when the breeze dropped.
The medical advice may have changed since my visit its always best to check what the latest recommendations are.
Thanks for your advice, I'll check with the Doc.
Thanks for your advice, I'll check with the Doc.

Take a look at this excellent NHS Scotland website for the latest advice http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx :tup
Hi folks
Just found out that the hotel's opening has been delayed by a week to the 6th May 2011, I'll be taking a keen interest as we go on the 19th May, as nickmacuk says the hotel is located at the southern end of the island, development in this area is going to be manic soon, whole area is being developed as a golf and country club with the RIU Touareg at the eastern end.
:)
joe
Hi

Glad to here you are trying out Riu Touareg, we are going in October as for tipping we stayed at Riu Guroupa on Sal last year and tipping is not expected at all in the hotel. Outside the hotel the island was pretty sparce but the local towns are worth a quick visit. The locals are friendly and the Euro is widely accepted everywhere although you may get change in a mixture of euros and Cape Verde Escudos

We are going as a couple and have gone for the Adults only upgrade which at £138 extra seems to represent good value with own pool, upgraded wine at dinner, mini bar in room, exclusive use of a la carte restaraunt and free wi-fi in room ( internet costs in the hotel lobby are expensive)

Hope you have a great time I look forward to reading your review

Kev
Hi Kev
I will try to give an unbiased warts and all review when we return, I will also try to take as many photographs as I can, with many fellow travellers trying this new hotel out for the first time and us arriving 13 days after its opening we feel quite privileged to be able set the scene.
We are also looking forward to the adults only section not that we hate kids.....but those days are over and our kids wouldn't want to be with us anyway ;)

Joe
Hi ali

Photo's show that things are getting done and yes we are getting excited too, just hope the opening is not put back again as there would only be 14 days from opening to our arrival.
I would not be nieve enough to expect a fully up and running hotel without glitches but as long as the main features are running then all should be well.
Hi Zwartekatten

Sorry I have not replied yet, as previously mentioned by others this hotel is located at the southern end of the island at the locacao beach, there will be a lot of construction in this area due to the new golf and leisure complex.
Transfer time should be 15 minutes.

joe
Me and my husband have booked the Toureg for September this year. I have stayed at the Karamboa twice (Dec 2009 and May 2010) first with my husband, and secondly with a friend. I absolutely love Boa Vista. There are excursions like sand buggying, tour of the island, boat trips which aren't too costly about £40. There are other excursion to travel to the other islands but they can be pushing £250 each. Staying in the Karamboa the sea was awfully choppy and the red flag was often up, signalling no one was to go in the sea. So when we went on a excursion of the island and found this beautiful beach and were then informed by the tour guide that a new hotel was to be built on this side of the island we jumped at the chance.

The people of the island are so happy and carefree you would never imagine that in some parts of the island they don't even have electricity for more than 12 hours a day. They are so kind, and employees of the hotel actually remembered me from my first visit (mine and my husbands name) and made me and my friend feel so comfortable.

I have told all my friends about this island and advise everyone I know to go before it gets over-run with hotels. The first time I went the Karamboa was the only hotel you could see when flying into the island. That had changed by May last year and I'm sure there will be more by the time we go this year.

I do like the thought of the "adults only" section but to be honest there were never many children around.
just booked today to go on the 23rd family of 4 two rooms all inclusive for £3000, it was 3600 last week.
was not going to wait to see if it dropped any more.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.