General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Bellacasa suites were on this morning. :yikes Is this hotel in Bodrum or Gumbet :que
The family got moved to the Art hotel but she wanted to see the hotel before she moved.
It seems the programme is from Turkey and Crete this week.
Digby,That must have been awful for you.
We went in May 1994 and would love to go back. :tup
Really enjoying this programme and some good little tips too. One thing im finding though is that its not doing any favours for Turkey. Seems to me that the accommodation is very below standards in some parts so some serious research would be required for anyone wishing to go (never fancied Turkey myself for some reason :que ).

It makes me glad that I choose to visit the same places year after year (not hotels necessarily but resorts). I know what Im getting each time.
I think the programme went into Marmaris and Bodrum handing out leaflets asking if anyone had any complaints.
Most of the hotels featured are cheapish AIs although the people paid quite a bit for them being July.
The programme yesterday was complaining about a hotel in Marmaris that has been slated on lots of holiday websites.
Even if people havent access to a computer someone they know must have so they didnt check before booking.
The scenery behind the male presenter was shot in Icmeler despite the complaint being in Marmaris.
They are in Egypt next week so any guesses which hotels will feature. :que :rofl :rofl
I'm suprised people don't read the brochures the 3 girls in stalis who thought they were a 5 min walk from malia and they thought they had aircon but brochure says no aircon. Also the shower - to be honest greece can be quite basic thats whats it's like.
Should we start a new programme - "Don't get done, get educated" ??
I was wondering if some of the TO's were some of the lower cost ones.

And the couple in greece today with lots of H&S issues and the rep considering them "professional complainers" without seeing the issues they are complaining about :que
It's all very well naming the bad hotels but why not name the British holiday companies sending people to these awful places? Cheap A.I. 3* would set alarm bells with me anyway. Interesting programme though, especially now that no holiday programmes apart from cruise hols are on TV now. How I miss them!
People need to start taking responsibility for themselves and taking a bit of initiative! I bet a lot of the people never even asked about air con an just assumed!
Also doing the sums a lot of them paid about £400 - £500pp for 14 nights all inclusive in '4*' during peak July season which would ring alarm bells for me!
im playing catch up... on i-player [well some of us have to work when its on] i have watched the first 3 episodes so far, the common thread on all the complaints that i have seen so far is... NON OF THEM have done [or admit they have done] any research on the hotel or resort..

wizard
Wizard HT Mod wrote:
im playing catch up... on i-player [well some of us have to work when its on] i have watched the first 3 episodes so far, the common thread on all the complaints that i have seen so far is... NON OF THEM have done [or admit they have done] any research on the hotel or resort..

wizard

Yes with you there on that one Wizard.

It is a shame they dont mention the TO's as I Would like to know just how much these people paid etc etc.

Also the couple who were hurt in the ballooning? did they not have insurance to cover this??
I would not be surprised to find the Turkish one are the late [but not lamented by many] Gold-trail
On the first programme,featuring the Litera Relax, when the woman was speaking to the tour operator in the UK she must have been told that no one else had complained.She then replied saying "so if I look on the review sites in the UK I wont find any bad reviews?"
This makes me think they knew about the bad reviews before going but the way the programme was canvassing in the resorts encouraged people to take part.
I have also read that they were paid to participate.
It would be interesting if anyone was in the resorts at the same time this programme was filmed and what was actually on the flyers they gave out. :que
Been watching it on the iplayer as well, have watched episodes 1-4. I feel for the families that've had holidays from hell. :tup to Monarch for giving the lads on episode 4 flights home for free.

I've only had two bad holidays in my lifetime, the first in 1984 when my brother was taken ill, airflighted home but passed away about 3 hours before Dad & I got home with my grandparents who were with us on the holiday. To give you some idea, we left Bordeuax the monday morning, Dad drove the whole way up to calais where we got the ferry to Dover and were at my other Nan's house in Norfolk 6amish on the Tuesday.

The other holiday was February 2008, my husband and I were in Portugal with my parents when we found out that my Nan had died, that was tough as I'd had many holidays with my parents and Nan & Grandad out in Portugal during my childhood (parents had a timeshare). We were going to places that brought back happy memories which hurt a lot.
ive been watching this series with my fingers crossed that none of the hotels ive booked for my holidays is on there!!! I really do feel sorry for the people whose holidays have been ruined but do wonder whether they have done any research before booking :think I do quite alot of digging around before i book a holiday so fingers crossed my holidays dont end up a holiday from hell.

lilyflipflop :sun2
Lilyflip flop, welcome to Holiday Truths. You may have noticed at the top of the page that you can review the hotels you've booked. I hope non of them get a bad report. Enjoy your time on H.T. I find everyone on here very friendly and helpful,so if you have any queries you only have to ask and you will be surprised how much help you'll receive.
Digby

Thanks for your welcome. I have looked at the reviews for my hotels on this site and a few other sites and all seems well ;) so heres hoping!!!

Im sure i will be asking plenty of questions for my forthcoming holidays. I am thinking of taking a holiday in italy next year (forward planning eh!) Ive never considered italy before but i have decided its a place i would like to go, so i will be doing some research and asking plenty questions as i no very little about italy.

:wave: lilyflipflop
Most of the holidays featured seem to be booked with internet companies,not mainstream holiday companies that also have websites that you can book a holiday with.
There also seems to be no rep available and the presenter has to phone the UK to try and resolve the problems.
All of the holidays featured have been AI and all of them have bad reviews so I suppose the people featured could have saved themselves a lot of heartache by looking on the review sites before booking.
I wonder how many people pre internet days asked to see the 'truth book' in the travel agents? A publication of reviews by inspectors. We used to ask for it when we booked our holidays and the difference between that and the brochure was sometimes stark - certainly enough for us to change our minds in a few occasions.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.