General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
this could be down to your terms of settlement in the family court on your divorce.. If you have been granted SOLE custody then a copy of the documents should in theory be fine,
IF however Joint custody was given EVERY time you travel out of the uk you are required to obtain a letter from your ex giving permission to travel up to the child reaching 18yrs, [so far you have been lucky but you could be refused travel/entry to many countries including some EU member states]

wizard
Thanks for your reply....

He should automatically have joint responsibility when we were divorced as we were married when my son was born. However as i have no way of getting his permission am i not ever allowed to take my son for a holiday again until he's an adult? Seems so unfair, and im sure i am not the only parent in this situation :(
I know as i re-entered Birmingham airport last year from Cyprus, the lady at passport control had a right go at me because i didn't have any 'proof' that he was my son. Hopefully his full birth certificate, my marriage certificate and divorce certificate will be enough proof...... :(
Hi

I was wondering the same thing, however, I did read that with the child having its own passport I didnt need to get a letter signed. So Im just going and hoping for the best.
michelle45

if your child is UNDER 18 then by British law they are a child and you should follow the rules

bostonbadgirl
He should automatically have joint responsibility

not necessarily it depends on the terms of settlement
Hi

Sorry, my reply didnt come across correctly. My son and daughter go away with me every year and they do have their passport. Anumber of years ago I was going to Mexico but the rules stated that I needed an affidavit signed so that I could take them out of the country so I never bothered and went to Turkey instead. Checked again this year and it just says that as they have their own passport nothing else needs to be signed etc or I have read the website wrong. Hope not as I only have 2 weeks to get things sorted. :really

Michelle
Which country are you going to Michelle, and can you remember where you read this? If this is correct then it sounds like what the person at the Mexican Consulate said is correct (not that i'm saying he is wrong, but why does so many websites state that we do need written permission to enter Mexico???) :que
Think we are going to be ok after all :)
Just spent the last hour this morning reading so many stories about Mexico refusing entry beacuse of various reasons and still lots of other sites stating again about this letter of authorisation from the absent parent...... BUT i've just read on the Thomas Cook website: (this is the link) http://www.thomascook.com/travel-info/before-you-go/passports-and-visas/

"If you are travelling with children then please note that since January 2005 it is no longer an entry requirement that minors travelling alone or with one parent need a notarised letter from both parents. Minors only need a valid passport to enter Mexico as tourists."

Still won't stop worrying until we finally get through the Mexican officials and on our way to finally enjoy our holiday at last :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.