Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Snakes & Water
16 Posts
Hi -not something I have ever heard about :think
Before Sunny Beach was cleared & developed as a resort, MANY years ago, there apparently used to be reptiles in the area but not any more - the only ones that you are likely to see are those poor creatures which are used as 'props' by some photographers.

Baldur
so we are not likely to get 'caught' by anything in the water.. its kinda creeped us out a little...
so we are not likely to get 'caught' by anything in the water

Thought that's what I just said.

If there were snakes in the water, don't you think that this site would be bombarded with posts about it? ;)

Some of the taxi drivers are the most fearsome reptiles that you're likely to come across........ :tongue

Baldur
sorry you said it was like that years ago, did not state if there had been anything done to prevent it now.

thanks for that info though - i will be sure to get the fiance to bargain with the drivers !! haha
sorry you said it was like that years ago, did not state if there had been anything done to prevent it now.

I actually said:

Before Sunny Beach was cleared & developed as a resort, MANY years ago

The resort has been going since the early 1960s, so forty to fifty years ago - we used to have wild wolves & bears and still have adders in the UK but I haven't been attacked by any recently.... ;)

Stop worrying and have a great holiday. :sun2

Baldur
just did a search and the only reference to snakes is in relation to the guys trying to get you to have your photo taken with them. I've been coming to this board on and off since 2004 and not heard of any in the sea. So as Baldur says, relax and have a fab time :cheers
Tried replying to this post but has not appearred. So here we go again.
I for one, having a phobia regarding snakes, will not be on the beach this year. Last July, we saw a snake on the sands, near the pier where the leaves for Nessebur. It was about a foot long. The lifeguards were on the case within seconds, with a huge spade and bashed it to a pulp. So, my advise is try to get a bed near the lifeguards.
many years ago bulgarian government decided to build a seaside holiday resort on the black sea , the land was full of snakes ect , in order to build the sunny beach resort they imported trucks of HEDGEHOGS , which ate the snakes and made way for rthe builders to start .

we never saw any apart from a river boat trip we did last year ;)
in order to build the sunny beach resort they imported trucks of HEDGEHOGS , which ate the snakes

The hedgehogs are recalled by one of the architects of the original development, Professor Simeon Micov, in this 2005 BBC news item.

Baldur
cheers baldur , nice little read that mate
  • Edited by Glynis HT Admin 2008-06-11 09:00:47
    Please do not post in phone text ie m8 for mate - thanks
we was watching tv at hotel one night a programme called bulgaria info (before kids found out further up the channels there was cartoon network :rofl ) and it had a bit on there about them importing hedgehogs to clear the beach of snakes was amazed by it. :)

Only saw 2 snakes and they was with dude taking pics. Tried to scare me one time with no avail as they dont bother me. He only did that towards end of our stay and think it was cause we saw him twice a night for almost 2 weeks. He almost doesnt move from sitting so dont think you need to worry bout him or the snakes.

He not far from the hotel Victoria palace incase you want to move to other side of pavement :)
Hi just back today, Fantastic place. Theres a couple of guys with two snakes and a baby croc at the end of the main strip where the big bungie is. If you look interested they wil come over and put the snakes around your neck and take a foto. Best to ignore if your afraid.
Just to make it even more scary, one of them is a sickly yukky cream colour. Can you tell I'm terrified??? :(

Apparently the baby alligator has sellotape round it's mouth. I didn't look closely enough, but I don't like the sound of that - total cruelty.
your right lesley,
both the croc and snakes have taped mouths which i agree is cruel, thats why i didnt have photos taken. The lads were there for hours with them with no sign of water or anything.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.