Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Thanks for starting the new thread.

I think there are a lot of us surprised about how quickly tourism has changed Goa. Maybe we should all not become TOO attached to this wonderful destination and explore other areas of India.

2 years ago you would have been 'flamed' on this forum for posting perceived 'negative' or 'cynical' remarks regarding the future of Goa (North). It's interesting to hear ALL angles on how tourism has affected Goa. It's funny that this all seems related to North Goa.

Whoever is in charge of Ministry for Tourism has obviously been watching too many episodes of 'Dad's Army'.
Thats what i like to see honesty,there is a few who think it is a crime to say any thing bad about goa,i have been going there for a lot of years,i talk to more locals than tourists,they say there is not a lot of crime,that changing, theres a lot of turf wars going on and it can get nasty,the infrastructure is callapsing of what there is,the goans are great people its the outsiders,where theres rich pickings it draws in the crime,goa is still better than most countries and more safer,i have had the best years out of goa and feel guilty saying these things.I would like to see different areas oppening up,its india i love.
Goa
We went to Gambia in Jan had a lovely 2 weeks . Hot sun, no visa probelms, shorter flight, same time zone, nice hotel, nearer A/Port, cheaper by a mile, after the farce this year still waiting for visas I know where we will be Jan 09
I expect theres some Gambia fans who think the same of Goa Alan
i don't really want to lock this but lets talk about Goa- not Gambia
The problem , I'm afraid, with this topic, is that it seems, one cannot be critical of Goa without some people attacking you. As someone who has visited Goa and India for the past 50 years I feel entitled to put my point of view without being called to order. And no Tony, I've never been to Gambia in my life, and have no intention of going there, but I respect the point of view of ALL who have visited it, Alan
For a bit of " the good, the bad, and the ugly , on Goa have a look at this.
http://www.goaguide.org/
Alan
it isn't the critical posts on Goa that is the problem for me- its all the Gambia comments. If we can stick with discussion on Goa and not post only to comment on another country then I'm happy for it to remain open.
Fiona I agree entirely, India is a vast and varied country and we personally have loved the travelling we have done using Goa as a base, as you know last year we travelled overland to Varanasi and all over Nepal and other areas of India and it was amazing,and the year befoe Kashmir by train (NO a/c) but did we meet rhe people and stayed with a family, living in basic basic conditions the best times I have evr had and we have done some 5 star hols over the years, but this beat everything
I find being in Goa for the full 8 or so months can be a little lazy for me!! and a bit of adventure is such fun!! but Goa is only a small dot on the map (albeit a wonderful small dot!!) :) I love it ... and always have over many years and still enjoy it.... but yes,there is a lot of world out there to explore ... :)
chilly
Just got back yesterday and having read the recent comments here, can only agree. This was visit number 12 for me and like you, I love Goa - but it has changed and not for the better. The friends we have made there remain the same (thankfully) and largely we go to Goa to see them. Sadly, North Goa is not what it once was and some of the youngsters coming up through the hospitaility training ladder just see us as a means to an end and don't see the need to "give that little extra" we have all experienced in the past - that little extra attention to detail" and that "little extra friendliness" - all of which made us feel special and they in turn increased their meagre wages with a "little extra tip". Attitudes to us foreigners has started to change. As others have also mentioned, the infrastructure is collapsing under the weight of tourism. More buildings going up all the time - so much over development everywhere and more rubbish. Sinquerim beach badly eroded as is coco beach. We did notice some improvements to overhead electric cables and transformers etc but it's still a shambles. We had some very long power outages whilst there with the majority of Goa being switched off in phases during a serious storm. Several tourists badly hurt having fallen into storm drains in the dark (broken ribs etc). Also, more light heartedly, there was more cows on the roads! Apparently they have stopped rounding them up and taking them to the cattle pound. although it was nice to see, the potential for further/increased accidents and injury was all to plain to see. Speaking to some newbies, many could see through the "rough" and loved it but others thought it was a "S*** Hole", hated the food and could not see why anyone would rave about the place. Locals commented on the increasing crime rates and traffic chaos (in Calangute). What else can I say, we will continue to visit Goa although we leave with a little heavier heart each time now, feeling great sadness for the Goa we loved and which is now all but lost. Thankfully though there remains some wonderful, happy, entertaining and interesting people in Goa still and they continue to make our visits worthwhile - for now.
Fizzy, has it changed much since last season? We went in March and we were hooked! Will I be disappointed going back there next March?
I cant see it changing 'too' much in one season.
Although i do agree as years go by some of the people are getting greedier.
That's what I was thinking Yummummy, it's just that we had such a good holiday this year it would be really sad to return and be dissapointed!! Oh I'm a worrier!! :oops:
Lozza, as yummymummy says it can't change that much in a season. We were also there in March 07. However I was surprised by the building that has taken place some was under construction in March and now completed some started since. They seem to be filling any available space. This was only the second time I have been in November and being that it was Divali, there was probably far more indian tourists than in March and it was very busy in central calangute. Also as has been said, the majority of shacks were not there. Some had been put up in readiness for the season only to be demolished by the police. It also did seem dirtier than in March. I don't think it has been the best start to the season for the locals any more than it has been for us with the problems we have had with the visas. The locals know about the visa issues and I think they are very worried that we won't be coming. Anyhow, its early days, the season is not up and running proper for us Europeans yet - lets just wait and see what happens. You will still enjoy yourself and in my opinion March is the best time to go anyhow - can't say if you will be disappointed or not as its all down to the individual and personal expectations. After all I have said, I still wish I was going back in March so if you have a bit of space in your suitcase, let me know :lol:
Thanks fizzy! I know I'm just worrying over nothing (and it probably sounded like a bit of a pathetic question), you know what it's like you work hard all year looking forward to your holiday, you want everything to be just right!

Unfortunately there is no room, as at least 5 of my friends are fighting over the space in my case!! :lol:
our trip in february will be our 4th and we dont think its changed but then we weren't going ten years or so ago.we did go to majorca for a quick week away in september and found that had changed in the ten years since we last went -expensive and staff who weren't bothered if they served you or not!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.