Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Dont buy it out there as it is expensive - all toiletries in the DR are expensive so make sure you have plenty of medicines and suncream before you go. I used nothing less than Factor 30 when I was out there and still managed to burn a little while on the beach one day. The sun is extremely hot out there, and with a breeze you dont realise you are burning. Piz Buin I used - its worth paying for a decent brand. I used prob a bottle and a half during 10 days there. Nothing would be worse than sitting on a plane for 9 hour flight itching and burning from sunburn, so be careful!
How expensive as we dont like carrying all that stuff in the luggage,not too bad before the liquid restrictions as it went in hand baggage.If its only 5% more than the uk not too bad.
Lets just say very expensive and not easy to purchase, not if in particular you like brands you are used to in the UK. We took all ours in luggage with no problems, just stick the lids down and wrap in several carrier bags in case of any spillage. You can leave them there then for the maids so you dont have to bring them back home in your luggage, will save a lot of cost and hunting around for them when you get there.
If you buy them after security at Boots you can put them in your hand luggage.You also get a small discount if you are going to a non EU country.
I saw somewhere the other day where Nivia is Cheaper in the DR than in the UK cannot remember where it was,it was on the net.Here.

http://www.valueclick.co.uk/news/press_releases/050714_pricerunner.pdf
we always take all our toiletries with us as they are soooooo expensive out there. I think a sun cream you can buy here for 6.99 was about $35 in the hotel shop.

We have always carried them in our suitcases and had no problems. I have just about mastered the art of packing for the carribbean - no jeans etc, 1 pair of heels, no towels as the hotels provide their own (usually), minimum amount of clothing.

As long as you pack them in your case in a plastic bag, well packed in between clothes you should be fine.
I usually take approx 10 different sun creams ( it's like spf bingo, i have all the numbers!!) plus aftersun and shampoo, cond etc. loads of tioletries!!

We also leave what we dont use for the maids.
I arrived back from the Dom Rep this morning - Please buy all your toiletries here!! £15 from a small Nivea and that was the cheapest we found :yikes We did not take enough and had to buy some extra, £30 for 2 bottles that you can get on BOGOF in Boots for a 1/3rd of the price (it is incredably hot out there at the mo!!)
Buy your toilettes at the airport after you have gone through Boots have loads of BOGOF on, saves weight in suitcase put in Hand Luggage
I don't know where Pricebuster got sun lotion at that price but it certainly wouldn't have been at any hotel shop. You do have to remember that the hotels in the DR are mostly very isolated so their shops can charge what they like, you're a captive consumer. :yikes

If luggage weight is really a problem it will be cheaper to buy it all at the airport after security and put it in your hand luggage than either paying excess or buying it there. Make a list so you don't forget anything though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.