General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I wondered about this when we left Crete as we had so many almost full bottles that i didnt want to risk spilling all over my suitcase,we just left them in our bathroom so hopefully someone made good use of them.
Marilyn i always do the same. Always worry that suitcase will be too heavy so leave all toiletries behind. I too hope someone could make use of them
Well the hotel staff earn such little money, I thinks its the least we can do.

:)
I always do. Also last year we were self catering and had stuff left in the fridge that we gave to our "favourite" maid. My sister also left her a travel kettle and fan because she felt she'd had her moneys worth out of them and didn't want to trail them home (she had to sign something in reception though stating she was leaving these items).
I always do it too, anything i have left over i give to one of the staff, they always get an iron off me too, i dont like travel ones so every year i buy a cheapie one from the supermarket and give it away when i am done.

Loulou
It's brilliant to read about so many generous people. :wow

I leave whatever I don't need & always leave a tip for the maid, but I know many people who are so mean spirited that they leave nothing at all.
I just feel that what isn't much for us probably means a great deal to the local population.
You've restored my faith in humanity!!! :pele
I always leave half full bottles for the maids and a tip at the end of the holiday, along with a tip for barstaff and the restaurant staff.
Our hotel had a piggy bank on the table in the restaurant, by the entance, but we never saw many people putting anything in!! :cry: Even the jar at the bar was empty most of our fortnight.
I gave suncream to the animation team in the Club Julian as they said its amazing how many parents send their children to the clubs with no sun protection.
I always leave the toiletries left over. In Bulgaria I left loads of clothes I had not worn because the women often only had one change of clothes. A work one and a going out one. We found this out when one of our friends asked a Bulgarian girl out, she turned up for the date with a football shirt on as she had nothing else. Hope its changed for them. That was off topic but we don,t realise just how poor some of the people who work in the holiday hotels are.
Margaret
we always leave stuff behind.. and last time, we sent a thank you card to our 2 favourite staff leaving a small tip inside.. and oneof them came into work on her day off ( which was our last day) to find us and thank us for being so generous. She thought it was a tremendous amount of money but it was actually only about £10. She also worked approx 15 hours a day, 5 days a week as the pay was so bad...
Hi All

We also leave shampoos/ conditioners etc behind and as we always go SC they normally end up with any food we have left and the odd bottle of wine. However when we went to Jamaica we literally left them the clothes off our backs and shoes as well. One of the fellows who worked in the pool bar came in one morning and had a really bad eye. When we asked him what he had done he said he always gets it as he has to sleep on the concrete floor of the hut where he lived and often caught a chill in it ( his wife and kids slept in the only bed they had). The effect of my husband giving him some clothes and a couple of pairs of shoes had the same effect that I would imagine winning the jackpot on the lottery would have for us

Regards Jackie
i just don't think we realise how well off we are compared to others.. lets face it.. we are on holiday and those people need us to earn a living, however meagre. Stuff we take for granted is a luxury item to them..i for one will now try not to moan about how much tax me and rob get battered for every week... we live like kings compared to people in some holiday destinations..
We went to the dom rep a few years ago. What a poor country it is. My husband ended up giving sandals, shorts and tshirts away. We gave the maid of our room quite a large tip as she always left us flours and our towels were " origamed" every day. We didn't realise how large it was to her, apparently 1 months wages. We don't know how lucky we are, do we.
Having not gone on package holidays until the last 5 years I was informed by my daughter that whenever I go on holiday take large bottles of toiletries then leave behind for the maids as she had been chatting to them in greece and they told her how expensive they were there at first she was confused then realised though the prices were similar to uk their wages were not !
On the other side of the coin, and whilst I applaud the generosity of the above HT members, it should be noted not all of us can afford to buy things only for it to go to waste or to be given away. I always buy 'travel-sized' toiletries which are sufficient to last me for the duration of my holidays, with no left overs, and no wastage.
About 10 years ago we were holidaying in Bulgaria and had read that a very useful present for the maid were bars of soap. This was because the local soap was so terrible. So we took some bars just for presents. When I gave them to the maid she was over the moon . Next day, in return, she gave us a couple of those large and delicious beefsteak tomatoes she had grown in her own garden.
I didn't mean to imply everyone should give away things, though not rich we are comfortable, and far from throwing things away I am a member of 2 Freecyle groups stopping useful items going to landfill so I do try to do my bit for the planet
In a recent thread entitled "What do you do with your left-over foreign coins"B.H.I.C.wrote:-
I give mine to Charity if it amounts to more than £10.00.

In this thread he writes:-
it should be noted not all of us can afford to buy things only for it to go to waste or to be given away. I always buy 'travel-sized' toiletries which are sufficient to last me for the duration of my holidays, with no left overs, and no wastage

Is this the same B.H.I.C.? [b]OR
Are there two B.H.I.C.'s? OR Is someone playing Devil's Advocate here?
No, that is me. There is only ONE BHIC in as far as I am aware. :hmmm (and that is me, I think?) But with all due respect I do not see the comparison between coins and left over shower gel? I'm sorry, but I simply do not see your point. Because as you will note I said "IF" it amounts to "more than £10.00", which it very seldom does.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.