General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
never I'd say in your case. The Irish are the most generous people in the world Per capita they give 2-3 times what any British people give to charity especially when they are on holiday
Mmmmmmm love to know where you get your facts from....proof :?:
All my Irish friends do nothing but complain about how much they have to pay to get on holidays and how much it costs them since they embraced :roll: The Euro :!:
i feel this is down to each and everyones personal decisions weather they leave toileties or loose change for the maids if they feel they have had good service personally as a property owner i pay my cleaner well but its still nice when they have done a good job some people leave a bit of change or some shampoo because inport shampoo is very expensive to them so it ends up being a nice little bit of luxury but as i said earlier there is no requirement to do this and you should not feel guilty
I wouldn't dream of bringing home half empty bottles of shampoo, suncream, etc, if i was only going for a weekend i would take travel size esentials, but for my holidays i take big bottles and leave whatever we hadn't used. We went to Goa this year and left our beach towels for a lady, i left a few T.shirts and a dress for a girl who worked on the beach and my eldest left his best football top for a beach seller and my youngest left his beach shoes for another poor child who had nothing, we gave so much away, it felt great coming home with an half empty case, hardly any washing :lol:
crystal xx
When we go camping we always leave all the 'Brit' foodstuffs that we didn't eat such as ketchup, tea bags, coffee, tins of beans etc.

*Edit I have removed your post from the thread on Reps, and joined to this one which I think you meant to post on :wink Briar
I've always left my leftover suncreams and smellies - the way I look at it, is that it saves me room in my suitcase coming home and I find it's always appreciated by whoever gets it in the resort (usually our maid).
Our holidays have mostly been to mainland Spain recently. Everyone there seems pretty well off, but I always leave my smellies etc., but assumed the staff would feel insulted and just chuck it out. Do you think they keep it?
No, I don't think they do. If 'caught' with these items, they could be held accountable to their 'Housekeeping' Managers for possible theft. I think that by leaving such items to Hotels maids, you could be putting them at risk of loosing their jobs. I'm not saying that is the case, but you cannot rule it out.

I mean its all very well them telling their employers the items were left to them as a 'gift', but would their Employers believe them? I for one could not sleep at night if I found out that I was 'indirectly' responsible for a member of Hotel Staff getting the sack.

I have observered Maids when they are cleaining rooms after the guests have checked out simply throwing away items like left over pop, smellies, and snacks in the bins on their cleaning carts.

Put yourself in the posistion of a Maid, and you 'take' items that you believe have been left to you as a gift, or you accept a gift directley off of a Guest and then you are searched by your House Keeping Manager, how would you explain the items? Do you think you would be believed? I appreciate Hotel Maids work long and hard, but they do not look poor, far from it.

Just a thought.
put all in a bag with for the maid in spanish/local language and english.
I usualy leave some stuff.
I also mange to accidently leave something as well.
We sometimes give suncream lilos to others we meet there and still have a week to spend after we go home.
Leaving half empty bottles of smellies after you have checked out, will not put the maids at risk from any housekeeper...infact they probably squabble over who is having what.
The maids cannot mistake that you have left them, they have a daily list of who is vacating what room and when...and I've never heard in 30 years, of a maid being accused of theft for an half bottle of shampoo....certainly not in Spain.

If you left your leather coat hung up in the wardrobe...well that's a completely different story...but this thread is about smellies.
I have observered Maids when they are cleaining rooms after the guests have checked out simply throwing away items like left over pop, smellies, and snacks in the bins on their cleaning carts.

Anybody with any commonsense will bin food, and unless it is worth carting home and not the dredge ends, this will be placed on the top of the trolley
but they do not look poor, far from it.

You know so little of Spain.......
There is no minimum wage as such, each section of workers negotiates their terms/conditions and wage structure and jobs in the tourist industry are amongst the lowest paid jobs in Spain The average annual income for the tourist industry is 8,680 euros
Women are not paid the same as men and some of these maids are working for peanuts"¦"¦men earn salaries which are on average 30 percent higher than those of women, so a nice half bottle of Vidal whoever hair shampoo will be a lovely treat, one that they probably use on their kids hair.
One product that since the introduction of the Euro and the subsequent rise in the cost of living plus the low wages that they get, may be out of the question in the weekly shopping trip to the Supermercado.

Sanji
Sanji wrote:
You know so little of Spain.......

To begin with just WHERE in my post did I mention Spain? Anyway, that is simply not so. I know enough about Spain to know what is what. I posted my last thread because I am aware of an incident where a maid WAS put at risk of loosing her job because she was found to have a bottle of Perfume on her person which had been left to her as a gift by one of the guests whose room she had been responsible for cleaning. But the House Keeper did not believe her. I overheard their conversation IN SPANISH, yes I can speak Spanish to hear that she was going to be suspended pending an enquiry. Now maybe the House Keeper wanted to keep the perfume for herself? Of that I have no idea, but I do know what I heard.

There had been a spate of thefts from rooms in this Hotel in Spain and that is why I posted what I posted. Therefore I do KNOW what I am talking about. And with all due respect, once again this thread is NOT simply about Spain. Just WHERE in my post did I mention Spain? This could happen anywhere. I COULD have been talking about another Country. I admit I was not, but I could have been. I never mentioned Spain in my post though.

Sanji wrote:
but this thread is about smellies.
Exactley. It is not about Spain. Its about leaving gifts or left over 'smellies' behind, and not necessarily in Spain.

Sanji wrote:
I've never heard in 30 years, of a maid being accused of theft for an half bottle of shampoo....

Well I have, and I am sure you will appreciate there is a fist time for everything.
A friendly reminder guys. Everyone is entitled to there opinion but please keep it friendly and civilised.

Thanks

Sarah
I've never heard in 30 years, of a maid being accused of theft for an half bottle of shampoo....certainly not in Spain.

If you are going to edit and quote me, then at least finish the sentence off. :twisted:
Certainly not in Spain...I was referring to Spain..and my following words referred to Spain as the previous poster had also mentioned Spain.
There had been a spate of thefts from rooms in this Hotel in Spain and that is why I posted what I posted.

Oh, so you were referring to Spain then.

Does that mean all maids.? in whichever country.?

Ok Sarah :wink:

SanJi x
I was not making any specific reference to spain when I said
BHIC wrote:
I was making a general reference to Hotel Maids that I have met in all the coutries I have been to.

The poster did mention Spain, I agree, but her question was
but assumed the staff would feel insulted and just chuck it out. Do you think they keep it?
. I replied with my own thoughts. Maybe I did not compose my reply properly, but I pesonally was not making any specific reference to Spain, so I apologise for any confusion.

My point is I would not want to put any Hotel Employee at risk of loosing their job, in whatever Hotel I am a guest in, in whatever country I am visiting, over something as trivial as a left over bottle of shampoo.
Good grief you lot kill me..........you get so upset and angst about really simple posts that someone else started and then everyone has to bring it down to the ridiculous.

At the end of the day regardless of whichever country your staying if YOU as an individual choose to leave items for maids/pool people/maintenance people it's entirly up to you and yours.

There's no way I'd let someone influence me on these boards as to the rights and worngs of what I choose to do. And yet some of the posters surely believe this would happen...........as if :roll:

The advice given and received is always welcome except when as I've noticed it all gets out of hand.............Take a chill pill :shock: Sanji.......you'll probably know what's in them :wink: BTW that was meant in the nicest possible way Sanji your a great mind of info :wink:

HAPPY HOLS 8)
Take a chill pill Sanji.......

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wise words... :wink:

SanJi x
Sanji, BHIC,
Is the heat getting to you both? :rofl :rofl

Cazz. :wave
No, I've taken my 'Chill Pill' already. :wink:
we have left items,for the maids in the past, & on more, than 1 occasion,we have had to write a note,saying we have actually,gave the maids,these items,which we are more than happy,to do,to stop any possible confusion.
can never be bothered,bringing toiletries home,never got enough room,for them anyway,case is always,too full,of holiday tat,as my hubby calls it!
tracy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.