General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
The dreaded cold
12 Posts
Try some Vicks First Defence, you have to use it regularly but it seems to halt a cold or at least reduce the symptoms pretty well.
As you say it's only a slight cold!!! Why should this make any difference to your holiday and why take a week off work for a cold????????????? :think
Never been ill in the run up to a holiday (it's not allowed!) but on our hols 2 years ago both my husband and daughter picked up a sickness and trots (can't spell the 'd' word) bug which was awful. Think they picked it up from a really dirty water park we visited. Me and my son ended up having to entertain ourselves for a couple of days till they recovered. Then last year my son took a sickness bug that only lasted 24 hours but it was the longest 24 hours ever. Hoping for an illness free holiday this year. Hope you feel better soon and that the gunk has cleared so you don't have problems with your ears on the flight.
Took medication right away, there was no way I was going to let the cold spoil my holiday

Plenty of rest, liquids, plus time of has allowed me to start cleaning my flat, and start packing my suit case, so come sat get my hair cut, and then relax at the week-end, get up mon morning and head to airport

A work colleague last year, came down with a bad cold just days before there flight, they didnt really enjoy the first few days of the holiday
Friend went to docs with recurring cold they suggested Vit C tabs (Those dissolve ones. ) Instead of normal 1 x 1,000 to take 3 tabs (but check with pharmacist first). Also Echineachia (sp) tabs help with immune system but again only take for a few weeks at most without consultation.

Best bet have chat with herbal chemist also.
Lucky you being able to take off the extra week from work! I'm one of them that would just muddle thru' I'm afraid, if it was full blown flu it'd be a different matter of course but for a slight cold I'm not sure I'd want to waste a week's holiday when it'll more than likely be well and truly gone by the time I would by flying. Each to their own mind.
joeseptuk wrote:
With less than a week to go before I go of on holiday, I have picked up a slight cold, now luckily I had been taking vitamins, have taken an extra week of work, to rest, just to make sure it dosent get worse

Anyone else have the same problem, with less than week to go, you fell unwell

At the moment in my work place, XXXX our shop has no real ventilation, and it is extremely muggy in store, this is where I got my sore throat and cold from. There was no way I was going into work this week, especially if tempertures going to hit 28-30c, just to warm for me to work, and a lot of female colleagues have been fainting
  • Edited by MarkJ 2009-06-30 10:05:18
    To remove name of Company
It is horrible having a cold before you go away on holiday but at least you know you will feel better once there!

Our problem is that we came back from holiday and within a few days, developed a full blown(!) cold that has lasted nearly 3 weeks. This often happens with us when we go away - my Husband thinks he catches it on the plane and then he passes it on to me (bless him!!) - I'm not sure but all I know is that we are fed up with it and could do with another holiday!!!!
Hope you are better soon.
SomersetSuzie wrote:
It is horrible having a cold before you go away on holiday but at least you know you will feel better once there!

Our problem is that we came back from holiday and within a few days, developed a full blown(!) cold that has lasted nearly 3 weeks. This often happens with us when we go away - my Husband thinks he catches it on the plane and then he passes it on to me (bless him!!) - I'm not sure but all I know is that we are fed up with it and could do with another holiday!!!!
Hope you are better soon.

I am a lot better now, but my work place, XXXXX is one of the worse places to pick up something, cold, flu, virus

Xmas/New Year 2007, 40 work colleagues including myself, came down with sickness and diarrhoea bug, wasnt nice
  • Edited by MarkJ 2009-06-30 09:34:54
    To remove name of Company
:offtop I work for the same company and when working with the public you are more prone to pick up any infection going also in our place you get people coming into work absolutely loaded with the cold, coughing and sneezing and spreading their germs about. So it's like a double whammy. Happily though out place has air con and I work in Admin so even better ;)
JimnLiz wrote:
when working with the public you are more prone to pick up any infection going
I work in a primary school - lots of small grubby people with unwashed hands! I spend most of my winter with colds which then develop into tonsillitis/sinusitis/ear infections etc...
Anyway :offtop
Back on the subject of holidays - within a few days of getting back from Fuerte after Easter I had a nasty chesty cough (no other symptoms at all) and this lasted for about 3-4 weeks. I also had the same cough within a day or two of arriving in Crete last summer. I blame the recycled air on the plane - 4 hours breathing in everyone else's germs :yuck can't be good for you!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.