Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
You should be a writer, you have described it perfectly [Loved the throwing of the children on to the suitcase] Can't wait for the next installment.
Fiona will let you I'm sure.
Nice account of your opening gambit to Goa...Next!!!
Altogoa2006

Thank you for part one of your trip.

I am going in four weeks two days time.

When you were describing the airport etc, I could see the place clearly in my mind's eye.

The thing that made me chuckle is the fact you have to show your passport so many times. I had forgotten about that. I sometimes wonder if they do that as the chaps have nothing else better to do.
This is great hurry up with part 2 :lol:
come on then!! Let's have part 2!! :lol: I love reading reports!
Please, please please dont wait too long to post part two i go on friday morning for first time. I cant wait to read next bit :hyper . Fab review!!
The suspense is killing me...Part 2..part 2 :bow
[bump!]

arltogoa2006

I am awaiting part two with extremely bated breath!

We fly out on saturday for 2 weeks, also with JitC, also staying at Royal Palms Benaulim with our two children... What's the hotel like?!

Maybe we'll see you there :)
Wow, Thanks for your comments, they're really nice. I'm working on this account during my lunch hour at work so it could be a few days between each part, so stick with me unless it gets too boring, then tell me and I'll stop! Here goes the first walk"¦"¦

THE HOTEL and FINDING OUR BARINGS, GRIPES and HYPES!!!!!!! - PART TWO

The heat was getting up now, Elsie told us we were second stop, the first was the Nanu resort it looked nice and like it was in the JitC brochure. I was recognising some of the restaurants and guest houses that we passed, from what I scoured on the net for the last 8 months. Then the Coach pulled up!

The Royal Palms looked like it did in the brochure; I breathed a sigh of relief. We were 1 of 2 parties for this hotel, I woke my bleary eyed one and she came round as bright as a button. Ry (eldest son) jumped off the coach and helped the driver with the cases, 3 bell boys came running "no sir, no sir I'll take that, it's time for you to relax".

The hotel itself is numerous blocks of 8 apartments, nice walk ways and gardens, there is a games room with table tennis, pool table, games, books and colouring pencils for the children. There is a small provisions shop which we realised hiked the prices of things up by 100% a day or so into our holiday.

We met Joel in Reception who told us not to worry about the paperwork he would come and see us later. We were given the key to our room 8 (8), the bell boy took us to our block, humped the cases (which were very heavy) on his back and started to climb! Up and up we went, "Surely not the top floor!" I thought. Sure enough it was, 4 flights of stairs which were spirals.

Now, I'm not a drinker, very often! But my first thought was blimey! I won't be able to get drunk on holiday because I'll have to carry the sleepy one up the stairs at night!
We got into the room and the bell boy shot off to get the rest of the cases.

"Well where's the 2 single beds?" I asked a tired and jet lagged Hubby, "Don't worry about it lets get breakfast and deal with it later". We had paid for 3 adults and a child but only got 10% reduction for the child, I was told 2 single beds would be in the living room, instead we had a double sofa beds table and 4 chairs. Was this misleading? I thought so, and told Joel so when he came up.

We were given a breakfast coupon for our paid 28 days of paid breakfasts and went down to the restaurant by the pool, I was pleasantly surprised it was very clean and a good choice of breakfast though the bacon didn't look too appetising (and from my good friends on HT I didn't want to eat it anyway! :D

We were all excited so straight after breakfast and putting the money and passports into a safety deposit box we ventured out of the hotel!!!

We walked to the gates at the hotel, the security guards were all smiles! No wonder, as soon as they closed the gate we had "Hey madam want to look in my shop!" she walked with me, Big mistake coming up"¦ I said "maybe tomorrow" to get her away from me. "Hey, Hey sir, you want taxi? Taxi sir? I do good trips; you want to see the Dolphins? Spice trail, Anjuna flea market?", "Madam you have a look at my nice things", "Come eat at my place sometime", " You want a scooty?" on and on down the stretch of road to the beach, calls of sellers and restaurant owners trying to make an impression on the newbies. A right impression they made I didn't buy a thing.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/gallery/Benaulim/DCP_1046_001

As a family we had made a pact before we came away not to buy anything the first week apart from essentials. By the end of the 15 minute walk to the beach, my nerves were a bit shot! But I was starting to see the funny side of it; after all they're only trying to earn a living.

Next instalment .THE BEACHES< SHACKS AND EVENTUALLY OVER THE JETLAG!
This is brilliant I feel like I'm there, beats Eastenders any day.

Keep it coming it's great!!! :)

Donna
XX
Brilliant..Ill be checking back for part III :)

As a first timer myself (soon,but not soon enough) you are giving an excellent insight on 'Goa the Experience' :lol: :wink: :D
This is a great report, well done, maybe Fiona will sticky it when its complete its very informative for newbies.
Great report- don't worry about how long it takes to write- mine seem to take a week or more!
( I changed the title so members are aware its a trip report and not questions)
I want more, the most interesting post in months, and so accurate

Lin
Fab report, can't wait for the rest!!
cant wait to read more,its like being back at goa the first time,
xxxx
THE BEACHES, SHACKS, JET LAG AND FEELINGS ABOUT THE BEGGARS AND HAWKERS - PART THREE.

The sky was the most amazing blue; there were no clouds at alland the tempreture was about 95-100 degrees. We walked into a large car park where rickshaw drivers were trying to get 100 rupees for taking a couple back to Royal Palms, Hubby and I decided to earwig"¦"¦

"It's 100 ruppees, sir" said the rickshaw driver. "On 'yer bike mate, I paid 30 ruppees all holiday" said the man. "Oh" the rickshaw driver did that wobble of the head from side to side "Okay then 30 ruppees".

HINT: never accept the first price! Find what you deem as acceptable and be prepared to walk away.

As you walk through the car park there are a few beach shacks to your left, Johncy's is the biggest and the South HT Meet up is supposed to happen, (It never did). But I was there and got the royal urine taken out of by my family every Sunday! After that Coco's Shack is next (try the stuffed Squid with Prawns and Garlic) Yummy stuff! Then another 2 or 3 shacks never tried them though.

We sat at Johncy's and ordered Orange Juice (fresh) for the kids, sweet lime soda's for me and hubby, egg & chips, Beef in oyster sauce, mussels in oyster sauce & King prawns & chips. "how many King Prawns would you like madam? One ? two?" said the waiter (wobbling his head as they do). I hesitated thinking Cor! That's a bit stingy and it must of showed on my face because he said " No, no madam don't imagine" and ran off with a smile on his face.

15 minutes passed, various waiters came up pinched my little girls' cheek and asked her name and laughed when we told them ( I thought it a bit strange, but decided to leave it.

Our waiter "Bobby" came back with a tray of shellfish, The King Prawns were at least 25 cm long! "ermmm I'll have one I said". The menu specifies no price for certain fish as it depends on the size, I knew I should have asked the price but "SUSEGAD" means the Goan way of Life or taking it easy.
Our meals came out and they were lovely the crunchiest meatiest KP's I've ever tasted, every body ate and then we asked for the bill - 795 ruppees! That's just £10 for a meal for four. I'm going to like it here, I thought.

BENAULIM BEACH
A little busy as you get on to beach but walk a little way to the left and it gets quieter and quieter, the next beach along is Varca (where all the 5 * resorts are).

There are a number of beach sellers who would like you to have a look at their "Cheap Rubbish" as they like to call it. DON'T DO IT"¦ unless you want 12-15 sellers around you trying to get money out of you, if you ignore them they just sit on your sun bed until you either buy or tell them to go away. Half the stuff falls to bits anyway (but what are holidays for if not for buying tacky rubbish?). And how can you remember every seller's name anyway "remember me it's Primadonna", "my name is Mena" " Don't you buy off anyone else, they sell rubbish, mine is good".

Try using "MaccaNacca" it means "I don't want to buy" in Konkani, I found out about this on my return home so didn't get chance to try it out. A good word we found to use was "JOW" it means go away, it's best used on the beggars on the beach.

(Rob may tell me off here, but everyone is entitled to an opinion) There should be no beggars on the beach, Goa as a state is very rich in comparison to the rest of India, Goan nationals/residents have to pay to send their children to school, out of state Indians who come in to Goa for the tourist season get education for their children for free (so I'm told). There are a lot of alcoholics in Goa; it must be the local Fenny! What I found out was that alcoholic parents send their kids out begging for money or even dangerously walking tightropes for the tourists, these are not professionally trained (like we would all like to think in our little safe worlds) but have been forced to do it from an early age. The first 2 weeks, I tried to feed any beggar that came up to me putting their hand to their mouth for food, as soon as they realised I wanted to feed them and not give them money they sauntered off.

Benaulim beach is lovely and clean, my little girl and I spent hours chasing crabs into their holes and trying to make them forget where they lived. The star fish are very pretty too. Some tourists from Tibet were absolutely amazed at my daughters bucket and spade and sat making sandcastles and giggling.

The sea itself is about 80 degrees it can be quite rough and my 15 yr son loved crashing into the waves. The under current is strong and it's not recommended to go out further than waist height. There are dolphin trips available, The odd jet-ski and body boards available to hire. It gets very busy with locals on Sundays and bank holidays and some may stare or try to take photographs of you girls in your bikini's but just get the nearest bloke to go and threaten them with the police and watch them beg the offended lady's forgiveness!

Walk right for about 20 minutes on the beach and you get to Colva, it's a lot busier, lots more shacks and water sports, there is a fab Ice-cream parlour called Baskin 31 Robins in Colva too.

Walk left for 45 minutes and you come to Varca Beach, fewer shacks, nicer food, 5* hotels and the beach is sparse, and so clean. It's one of my favourites.

We were jet-lagged (all though with the excitement of being there, we didn't realise it). We went back to the hotel and climbed our mountain of stairs ready for a kip.

A great big Kingsize foam mattress was now lying on the floor of the living room with a clean sheet thrown over it. The Sofa bed was pulled out and made up. The table and chairs were still there. We couldn't walk in the room, we couldn't get in the fridge. We couldn't complain again surely! Yes, we could but it could wait until tomorrow, time to sleep we had been up for over 36 hours.

COMPLAINTS, EXCURSIONS, COOKING LESSONS, AND MEDICAL EXPERIENCES - PART FOUR to follow
:D That's it I'm hooked................I can't wait for part 3. Your report is so descriptive and an absolute pleasure to read..............more, please!! :wink:
Scruffyish
This is so much better than telly...Fantastic report!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.