General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I had to laugh at your post, Sanji. I have had similar trouble, once with a holiday but the confirmation email had gone to my spam folder and once when I did a large grocery shop online. Just entered my bank details and the page disappeared and I had no idea if my order had gone through and it was for New Year's Eve.
But it was the smoke alarm which really got to me. We live in a Sheltered Housing complex and if a smoke alarm goes off, it goes right through to the fire station and the Fire Brigade have to turn up, even if we assure them everything is OK and then we have to wait for a Care Worker to come and turn the alarm off and reset it.
On Tuesday night, I had browned lamb chops in a pan, removed pan from the heat and turned cooker ring off,, transferred chops to a foil lined baking tray and put it in a lowish oven. Five minutes later the alarm went off. I have no idea why. Nothing was burnt, there was no sign of any smoke. THe firemen were puzzled too but of course my OH blamed me and asked me last night "What are the firemen having for their dinner tonight?"
It is so embarrassing when the Fire Engine complete with sirens pulls up with a screech.
Oh dear Helen - what an embarrassment! I'm very grateful the fire brigade don't turn up every time my smoke alarm goes off as it has done so several times, leaving me standing underneath it flapping a towel, with the front door and windows wide open as I can't reach to switch the blooming thing off. :yikes
:offtop
That's what we are here for, to respond to every emergency and bit of burnt toast :D seriously though we would rather come out 100 times to a bit of burnt food than respond to a real fire and all the distress that causes.

I can't reach to switch the blooming thing

That might just save your life one day, so remember to check it regularly and change the batteries every 6 month unless it is wired to the mains, also if you have an extension on your vacum cleaner you should give it a clean every month.

Fire Safety talk over

Graham :D

ps remember to empty any ashtrays in a safe manner, unplug appliances at night and have an escape plan :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.