Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Twanny,Was the young couple sitting in seats that were actually allocated to you and your family?
Most airlines I have travelled on will only allocate the front seats as medical seats.
This couple may have paid for extra leg room seats at check in,so they will have been given boarding passes with your seat number on.
I was on a Thomas Cook flight to Turkey where a man who had a steel plate in his leg couldnt sit down for the flight because his seat was occupied when he boarded the flight!.The couple occupying his seats wouldnt move because they had paid for a leg room seat.Only Thomas Cook can give out the same seats to 2 lots of passengers!.
Twanny
I can appreciate the distress this experience has caused you but I'm finding your post a bit confusing as well as overloaded with (quite understandable in the circumstances) sarcasm and irony.

You say you've complained to Thomas Cook, did you do this in writing in a calm manner or was the complaint worded in the same way as your post?
What exactly (if anything) are you asking Thomas Cook to do?

Am I right in deducing that you were more than happy with the hotel, it was mainly the outbound flight that was the problem?
Did you book it as a package or as hotel & flight separately?
When you booked the holiday, were you not aware that the flight was a night flight and would involve a long day prior to departure as well as a very early arrival in a country that was 2 hours ahead of the UK?
All the holidays I've booked have had the flight departure and arrival times clearly stated - we always steer clear of night flights for the reasons you detail.
Unfortunately, flight delays do happen.

I'm lost on the issue of the seating.
Did Thomas Cook allocate the SAME seats to both your family and the couple who were sitting in the seats when you boarded the plane?
Or were you just promised 'medical' seats at check-in but when you boarded you found out that the seats were just 'normal' ones.
I can also understand how unhappy you were, but really the complaint can be condensed down to one basic thing. You required medical seats and you weren't given them. Was this a flight where you sit anywhere, so when you check in you don't have a seat number, it is like the budget airlines where it's first come first served? When you phoned them to book medical seats what procedure did they perform at that time?

They do need to sort that out as it is apparent that this is not an unusual practice.

So far as the other things go, well that's flights and that's holidays. I would pursue the incidence of the outward flights if only to make them see how their system clearly isn't working but you have no claim for anything else.

Plus I believe you did have a lovely holiday. I don't think it's worth getting this worked up about myself, as you said you won't use them again so they have lost business.
A 3 hour delay on a night flight that was knowingly booked as a night flight. A pain but delays happen.

Seat pitch on the aircraft the same as every other UK charter airline like thomson and Monarch. Have you used charter aircraft before ?

Possible issue on pre booked seats not available. Unclear if you paid to book a seat or just asked at check-in for one to be allocated.If not allowed the emergency exit aisle then all the seats on the aircraft are the same.

Is it me ? There seems little here to complain about. Any wonder real complaints take a long time to get answered.

Kind Regards
Stewart
Gateshead are you refering to me, if so I am not being sarcastic. I think this complaint is minor and does not justify the long rant. A flight delay and a possible seat allocation mix up.

Kind Regards
Stewart
I understand you being unhappy. Unfortunately with overworked planes and crowded runways it happens quite often. Seats are cramped on most planes many only provide a 28-30" seat pitch, TC probably no worse than a lot of others. Research on seat pitch can help before booking.
The only complaint I think you have is the fact that your wife was not provided with a special seat, and then only if you had prebooked and paid for it, which isn't very clear from your post. If you had prebooked and paid for this seat then you are entitled to a refund.
Gateshead are you refering to me, if so I am not being sarcastic. I think this complaint is minor and does not justify the long rant. A flight delay and a possible seat allocation mix up.

Kind Regards
Stewart
Aye

We aren't all perfect
Unfortunately I do agree with the others in that there really is no ground for compensation unless you have paid a fee for the actual seat.
Anyone who has any medical complaint can not be seated in an exit seat. These exit seats can only be booked at the check in. Like all Charter and some low cost Airlines they charge a fee for this.

I now stop to wonder if this rant is real and not simply a means of getting all of us to respond. The response that someone is sarcastic is uncalled.

So don't use TC again end of story!

Sue
Gateshead,

I really haven't got a clue what you are getting at. I am just adding my opinion to the post or must they only agree with your opinion.

Kind Regards
Stewart
Unfortunately the manner of posting does not help any of us to offer meaningful advice.

Yes there is the issue of the seats but it is not clear if you booked and paid for these, or simply made a request. The answers given by others cover it adequately in my opinion.

A long sarcastic posting makes it difficult to know if it is serious, or just someone getting it off their chest.

If you have a serious question then I would suggest you post again without the histrionics when members may be able to help you.

Members of HT do try to assist where they can and are also entitled to their own point of view.

If anyone does not agree then no purpose is served by rubbishing what they say. We really do want HT to be friendly.

fwh
hear hear....fwh.......lets keep it friendly on here.......
I think as the OP has not answered any of the points various members have raised and has only made 2 posts (both very negative to Thomas Cook), I think it's more than likely that we'll never get to the bottom of this story.

Stewart
I think you raised a valid point in your initial post regarding seat pitch.
In my original reply, I also asked whether the OP knew it was a night flight. I too was confused with the tirade about night flights: time spent packing, length of journey to airport, 3 hour check-in, arrival country 2 hours ahead.
Also, the OP wasn't clear about allocation of the seats.

Unlike Gateshead61, I personally couldn't see any sarcasm in your post, just an observation that many (but not all) of the OP's issues seemed to be his/her own too-high expectations of charter flights, coupled with a strange decision to book a night flight then complain about it.
Was this your first visit abroad? It certainly sounds like it!! Regardless of which company you travel with there is a minimum of 2hours check-in before hand and of course your journey to the airport. Nothing at all to do with TC! Unfortunate about the delay but, hey ho, we've all been there. Also, ALL airlines charge for any extras they can - drinks, snacks, headphones, even blankets nowadays! Most resorts in Turkey neceesitate a fairly long transfer time but you could have researched this before booking. Methinks a 'home grown' holiday may suit you or maybe you could try a cruise. But don't forget, there will be travelling time to allow for

:que
I realy think Twanny done this for a laugh if not why have there been no answers to question raised, all its has done is stir up a few people. Come Guys and Gals there are many more important issue to comment on than this time waster.

:whoops
A medical seat doesnt have to be paid for but is not guaranteed if someone has booked these seats.They are usually the front row and 12A and 12F depending on the aircraft.They dont always have more legroom than a normal seat especially seat ABC in row 1.
When you book them at the Special needs department they usually ask for your Blue badge number and your medical condition.If you havent got one its unlikely they will give you a medical seat.
No one can pay for a leg room seat in row 1.If they havent been booked by people requiring a medical seat they are usually allocated last at check in.
I'm sorry if some of you think there was an inadequate delay in responding,
whilst I note others, decided instead, to squabble amongst themselves.
Unfortunately, my wife took very ill, just after the posting and is now
in a serious condition, in hospital. Hence the delay in posting!
It has become very obvious to me, that posting such items, relating to total
unservice by TC to reserved seat paying customers is greeted with nothing but gratuitous
lip service in this area, as well as those who appear to glorify in their
own, egotistical manner, with no sense of purpose to the topic in hand.
I'd appreciate if you post no further comments in this topic as it is
distressing enough to note that my wife's illness has not been afforded
any relief by your adverse and sometimes, terse comments.
Good bye and thanks again, for nothing. :(
Sorry to hear about that.

Perhaps best to close this topic.

MarkJ HT Mod
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.