We booked a cruise with Thomson in December 2015, to travel on 14th July 2016. Last month, I was diagnosed with cancer, and sadly, had to cancel our booking. Fortunately, we had travel insurance, so I initiated a claim with them, and then phoned Thomson on 18th May to advise I had to cancel. I followed this up with an email that same day, thus giving 57 days notice, which resulted in a 50% cancellation charge, as stated in their brochure.

However, I heard nothing from Thomson, and so on 1st June I emailed them again, then phoned them, to ask why they'd not responded. The first staff member confirmed they had actually received my original email, but the branch manager insisted they hadn't. In the meantime, the cancellation charge had increased to 70%. The branch then sent a cancellation invoice dated 1st June, but they won't backdate this to 18th May (although the manager did point out that I was unlikely to lose out financially, because my travel insurance would cover the difference in the cancellation charge!)

I have calculated that by Thomson "not receiving" my email, they have saved themselves almost £500, a cost that they are suggesting will be met by my insurance company. But as I made my insurance claim for cancellation mid-May, I'm worried that I'll be left to foot the bill for the additional 20% cancellation charge that Thomson are suggesting. I've kept the insurance company informed, and have kept copies of emails, but feel this is verging on 'sharp practice', and it's the last thing I want to be trying to sort out, given my current state of health!

Does anyone have any views, advice or prior experience of this, please? Any thoughts will be much appreciated!