Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
you'll need to check the paperwork or the confirmation email. It should say there.
No mention of low cost that i can find.
The final balance is due Oct 26th.

Please note: Your final balance will become due 8 weeks prior to your departure date.
Holiday total £3098.00
Amount paid £190.00
Includes credit card charge£0.00
Amount oustanding £2908.00

All holiday bookings need to be fully paid 8 weeks prior to travel. If your departure date is later than 8 weeks then at this stage you will have paid a deposit only and will be required to settle your outstanding balance 8 weeks before travel. Please refer to our How to Pay section. You can even pay your balance now if you choose. Alternatively, we will send you an email reminder nearer the balance due date, to this email address, and advise you again of the methods of payment.
Can't you switch your holiday to a 1 bedroomed apartment (or even a studio as less under occupancy fee's) that way you'll transfer your deposit over. Your friends then pay the remainder of their deposit as THEY are the one's who are cancelling?
I tried that but there are no 1 bed apts left.Its from 21st Dec till 04 Jan so its a popular time of year and all Apts are booked solid.The other couple really dont want to have to pay this money either.How can they justify taking 2 sets of deposits from people as they will clearly sell the holiday on again no problem.
Your original post says you booked on the Thomas Cook web site, a quick look in the T&C's and it states the following:-

Low deposits
£50 deposit per person is applicable on shorthaul bookings and £100 on longhaul and Select bookings for all Winter 2008/9 and Summer 2009 holidays departing 1 November 2008 to 31 October 2009. On selected Summer 2008 holidays (departing 1 May to 31 October 2008) a £50 deposit per person is applicable on shorthaul bookings and £75 on longhaul and Select bookings. These deposits apply to the following tour operators' holidays: Thomas Cook, Sunset, Airtours, Aspro, Panorama, Manos, Club 18-30 and Escapades. Offer may be withdrawn at any time.

Direct Holidays:
£30 deposit per person is applicable for Direct Holidays on selected bookings departing 1 June to 31 October 2008 and all bookings departing 1 November 2008 to 31 October 2009. The balance of the full deposit must be paid 8 weeks after booking. In the event of cancellation the full deposit of £120 must be paid.

See http://www.thomascook.co.uk/pricing-terms-conditions/

It clearly states that in the event of cancellation the full deposit must be paid so unfortunatley you are are contractually obighed to pay, have you thought of asking them to move the booking to next year when hopefully circumstances have changed, this may be a cheaper option for you all.

Dave
They kept that well hidden there should be warning page telling you of this.
Might try asking about the following year but its not ideal as who nkows what circumstances may be 18 months from now.
"The balance of the full deposit must be paid 8 weeks after booking."

We have never been asked to pay this and its now 5 months after we booked.
Have you asked about a studio? You'd have been better with a studio anyway as you'll be hit with under occupancy for a 1 bed apartment.

If not then you are going to have to pay the remainder of the low deposit, you friends will have to go halves I'm afraid.
I appreciate your problem - I also would consider if there was any way that I could switch the holiday.

A great number of the complaints we read here on HT are covered in the T&Cs - small print as some say - but it really is important that people do take the time to read them.

I also think it is time that TOs as well as other businesses considered highlighting the major points in T&Cs just as they do with the plus points of the holiday or product they are selling. It would, in my opinion, save a lot of the hassle that TOs get if they could point to them when people complain, rather than it being buried half way down page three.

But then would people read them?

fwh
Silver, is there another couple or friends who could take their place? That way you would only need to pay for name change.
There are no studios or 1 beds availible.And Direct would still want the £190 from our friends.
Its enough to put you off going on holiday when companies scam you like this.
Silverback you posted same time as SandC so have you considered their option?
No edit buttons here :D
I may try and sell the holiday it would mean £30 each name change but still cheaper than £360.
Its a popular time so might be an option.
I did consider that and another couple would have went but only for a week and that would obviously leave us with under occupancy charges for a full week.
Would you not consider changing to a week? Better than loosing the whole holiday? If there's availability on the return flight then you should be ok. This will incur an amendment fee for you and your partner however.
TBH Glynis we are sick of the whole thing and just want to end this and maybe book something for july or aug and forget the xmas hol this year.But would like to get this sorted first.We will look into it on our own next year.
thats the problem with booking for more than one family. We also have had members who have found that as lead person they are liable if anyone drops out- hopefully your friends won't give you that problem. I hope you will use our site to check out summer destinations :)
If you look for July August then see about a change via your current holiday via Direct Holidays.
Bit of an update for you.I advertised the holiday and was inundated with calls.
Could have sold it 10 times over but when i called Direct to change all 4 names they insisted that one of the names had to remain
on the original holiday ! Whats the point in that none of the original 4 can go !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.