Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Pool towels are provided.

Gala night - people will wear both, so whatever you feel most comfortable in.

Transfers - you'll collect your own luggage and put it on the coach and you'll then identify it on the quayside with a sticker but it will be delivered to your cabin for you.

(I haven't done the Spirit, only the Destiny but it will be the same kind of system).

Regarding the excursions:

Villefranche - we did the Thomsons trip to Monaco/Monte Carlo but would DIY next time, Villefranche looks lovely to walk around, but have read how easy it is to do Monaco DIY. Nice is also nearby.

Livorno - we took a cab to Pisa for 125 euros (between 4 of us was cheaper than the Thomsons excursion), the cab driver was very good, very proud and informative about Pisa and he sat outside a bar and waited for us while we looked around, as long as we wanted. So ideal if there's 4 or you can join up with others, and means you aren't stuck to the Thomsons timetable which in that instance was handy as there was a world cup England match that afternoon that the others wanted to get back and see (note to all: it happens, some cruisers like to watch football, please don't judge us ha ha)

Civitaveccia - we didn't go to Rome as the others had already been, but stayed in the local town instead, so can't help you with that.

Olbia - we took the Thomsons shuttle coach to a beautiful beach, £15 for a couple of hours with a guide.

Mahon - easy walk from the ship, once you get up the steps.

My mum is going on the same cruise as you, and this will be her first single cruise. (She travels alone every year, on long haul tours but has never been on a cruise alone before). So if you see a little old lady looking lost and lonely, please give her a wave to brighten her day!

Ha ha, I'm sure she'll be fine, but you know what its like to worry. However if she looks like she's had too many sherries and is dancing on the tables, you have my permission to walk past! Its not likely, having had two hip replacements, but you never know what these oldies get up to on holiday! :cheers
This might help - info and prices of the Thomson tours in each port:

Villefranche

Livorno

Rome

Olbia

(no details available for Mahon)

These are subject to change though and shouldn't be taken as gospel but give you a fair idea.
Civitaveccia....there is a nice market. When the bus drops you at the port ,cross the road and head up the hill by the McDonalds and go down one of the roads on the left. It will take you to the market.
Again, thanks to everyone for the advice, greatly appreciated.

Jess, I will keep an eye out for your mum.

Gerard
Thanks, and have a great time! Bon Voyage for tomorrow.

Hbrac - I also recommend that market! :-D
We always get a little something from there. A bag, sweatshirt, cheap bracelets to take back for the kids in class.
Gerard,

We did these ports of call in July. See my post on Cruise Review and Discussion Forum for the Destiny.
Took a lot of advise from the more experienced cruiser on this site and then decided on what I wanted.
I did the DIY option. Saved a pile of money. Rome - they were looking for £96 for the full day excursion. We did it for 45 euro each in a taxi. Towels supplied in your cabin for the pool area. They are a different colour from the normal bathroom towels. Ours were orangie/yellow. Changed them as often as you like. Leave them on the bathroom floor - this tells the cleaner you want them changed. Captains night - 95% men and women and kids got dressed up (great to see) some in White Tux some in Black tie some wearing suits or just Shirt and tie. Great night.

regards

Colin B Northern Ireland
Hi -

I've just come back from a Thomson Spirit cruise and was wondering if it is possible to get in touch with someone who works on board (or have my number/details passed on?).

This is a bit embarassing but I have to admit I'm totally smitten with this young lady - she was the highlight of the cruise for me... we talked all the time and spent the last night dancing together. I wanted to send her some flowers (and confess my undying love!) before I went, but she was away visiting family on the last day and the celebrations (flowers etc.) desk was closed all day.

I know this all probably sounds a bit sad(!), but I can't think what else to do... if she isn't interested, fair enough - at least I'll have tried/let my feelings known.

Anyway, she said she's on the ship (Thomson Spirit) until October and will then be back in England...

Any help etc. would be really appreciated...

Cheers!
Has any one been on this ship recently and noticed the extent of the vibration often complained of by passengers on this ship. The cabins available on the cruise I would like are all on deck 1 and 2. Any advice welcome as this would be my first cruise.

Mrs T
I have cruied on the spirit a number of times as well as the other Thomson ships. It has a slight vibration but nothing you will notice unless you are looking for it. I have stayed on both deck 1 and 2 and noticed hardly anything. I take 2 or 3 holidays a year, and since we went on our first Thomson cruise in 2006, we have become hooked. and you will have the best holiday of your life.

We could never go in a hotel again. The spirit is not as large as the modern ships but it is jut brilliant.
Thank you John for your reassuring reply.
"Has any one been on this ship recently and noticed the extent of the vibration often complained of by passengers on this ship. "

There is some vibration, as there is on the Celebration, but after a while you don't notice it. Some passengers moan but they are the ones that moan about anything and are best ignored. Think of it as part of the ship's character!
Stevie on the cruise news there was always a contact for the ship why don't you phone them?
Hi Suzanne! I've looked on all the daily news sheets and the Thompson Spirit guide but couldn't find any contact number... I've also been on the phone to Thompson (trying to send flowers) but the best they could do was forward a card. She probably won't get it for weeks, but at least that's something, lol.

...who was it who said "the course of true love never runs smoothly"...? ;)

Cheers,
Steve
there was a tel no on the back of your boarding card too if i remember right
good luck!
...yeah I noticed that, thanks - but it says "Emergency Number". I don't think they'd be too happy if I used it for something like this, lol.

Oh well, I'll just have to hope she gets my card (she'll probably have a boyfriend anyway!).

Cheers.
Hi All
We have booked the "Pearls of the Aegean" on the Thomson Spirit for May 2010 & I noticed, in the brochure, that there are no cruises for a 4 month period from November to February. Does anyone know if the Spirit is due for a refit during this period?

Derek :que
Hi Derek

Looks like you could be right but four months is a long time for a refit! but lets hope it is, we go after you so you can post the details, long way of i know but we have two cruises to get in first so i will ask the staff when i go on my next.

Roger
I don't think the Thomson Spirit is ever offered during the winter. This is therefore probably just the normal winter break. When they refitted Thomson Celebration last winter, it only took about a fortnight, not four months!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.