Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Amy be careful with the parcel. I sent one last year to a friend in Goa and he never got it. Never found out why but it mysteriously went missing after landing in Goa. If you're gonna send you might be better sending recorded and it's not that cheap.
Not sure about the address other than the Bardez bit which is correct.
We never seem to have a huge problem with post... Most things arrive - some of our volunteers have received things within a week... I guess a couple of things have gone missing (that we know about) but I'd say 80 - 90% comes through... (that we know of)...
I have sent letters and very small parcels to private addresses in Candolim, and they have always arrived with just the name of the recipent and the street name (no house name or number). Just got the latters weighed at the Post Office counter.

Moira is a village, this link also mentions one of three wards in the area called Raint - maybe it's one end of the village?
http://www.goacom.com/village/moiravillage/index.html

Mentioned here, under "deaths" - sounds like the name of a village also (Moira Raint) http://www.goacom.org/news/news2003/feb/msg00015.html
I've sent things over to Goa, they only ever get there if they are in a brown envelope that looks flat as if it only has a letter in it...if its going to be more than a couple of pounds you're taking a big risk! Claire
I went to an Indian/English wedding last year and sent some photos to the grooms Mum who lived far away in another part of India .As Ive never met the lady I thought it would be nice to send her some English biscuits in a very pretty tin to munch while she was looking through the wedding album I had made for her .When the parcel arrived it had been opened, the biscuits had been eaten,the tin was empty.But by mistake I had spelt the grooms name on the front of the album with a y instead of an i...and the cheeky thief had changed it with green pen...I didnt know wether to laugh or cry...in the end laughter won. :rofl

When Ive sent just photos Ive written on the back of the envelope that there is no money inside and how many photos are inside .The last 4 lots have arrived ok

Good luck
What often happens with parcels is that they get returned to the post office if the postman is unable to deliver (say for instance if the recipient is out). In Goa the postmen don't leave cards to say that they've tried to deliver a parcel - it's up to the person concerned to check with his or her local post office - this can result in parcels being left un-claimed at the post office for months!!
GFF xx
I have got to know our local postman, he puts a note in the letter box if there is a parcel. I collect it the next day at the local post office. Fortunately it's just around the corner. He only has a bicycle so he doesn't carry parcels anyway.
I always write "card only" when sending birthday cards. Friends who have got a "proper" house/address have had no trouble receiving these (also some cd's we sent over - but oH did write that their was nothing of value in the package - may have been just lucky this time). Some friends of mine who live in a 3 roomed shack in Calangute have never received anything I have sent so I now send their cards/letters to someone else who then delivers them for us. I take gifts, money or whatever when we visit. The wife of another friend works at the Post Office in Mapusa so maybe this helps sometimes :que I have a couple of rain capes for a friend and when I offered to post them to him in readiness for the coming monsoon He said to bring them when we come next time so I haven't bothered posting. I think the postal service is very "hit and miss" in Goa. If its something important, I would deliver it yourself when in Goa - not worth taking the chance.
I sent some CD's to a friend last Monday, not arrived yet.
Will update when(if) they do arrive.
Cost of postage was aroun £3.50 for 3 cd's and wrapping etc. NOT recorded and sent 2nd class.
I sent a letter 2 weeks ago and that's not there yet !
If you can contact someone to let them know to expect post (particularly if they don't have a "proper" house address) then you can send it Poste Restante to the GPO (General Post Office) in Panaji (addressed surname first, and this in large capitals and underlined), where they should hold letters for 30 days. ID required to pick-up.

In essence, address letters
POSTE RESTANTE (otherwise, CARE OF POST-MASTER)
SURNAME, first name
GPO (NAME OF TOWN)
STATE

Other Post Office's e.g. Mapusa should be able to facililtate this service too. This service has been in existence for years, but, in theory, can only work if the recipient is expecting the mail and alerts to postmaster or keeps checking within the 30 days.
I have always sent birthday and christmas cards to friends in Candolim (business and private addresses - along with photos and very small birthday presents. Always write "photos" on it and they have always been received with no problem. Surprisingly not that costly - roughly £2 or £3. I would never send anything of any real value (monetry of sentimental) though.

Hope this helps.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.