Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
No supermarket in Guardalavaca. I would advise you to take everything you need for the baby with you. Even if you do find a chemist, or the resort shop may sell nappies, they aren't great quality, and you may find they have run out of them anyway. Shops aren't a strong point in Guardalavaca.
Shops aren't a strong point in Cuba full stop ;)

Most Cuban families use old-fashioned terry nappies - even if they are to be had, disposables would usually be too expensive for the locals and hence few shops bother to stock them. A friend who has taken her daughter out from a very young age so she can spend time with her Cuban grandparents has always taken everything that she might need with her. She was only saying recently that getting her duaghter potty trained would make life so much easier whenever she went over.

I think that this has to be put into context - on various trips over the last 7 years there have been at various times shortages where soap, toilet paper, clothes detergent, toothpaste, women's sanitary protection, bottled water and other things that we just take for granted here couldn't be found for love nor money. I've learnt over the years that if there are things that I really wouldn't want to be without in Cuba then the only way of being certain I have them is to take them with me.

Cuban 'supermarkets' will make your local corner convenience store seem like shopping heaven. Another friend's Cuban husband, not long after he first arrived here in the UK, was enthusing about how wonderful UK supermarkets were - the wide range of goods they stocked, the plentiful supplies of everything that they had on the shelves etc. And she then very dryly pointed out that he was talking about their local Tesco Express - she hadn't actually taken him shopping in a 'proper' Tesco or similar big supermarket yet. :rofl

Seriously, I would inquire of your TO whether your toddler will have their own luggage allowance - some airlines, knowing that you will have to take a lot of stuff with you, will give you an allowance even for an under-2 that doesn't have a seat, albeit not as much as a full fare passenger but worth having all the same if you have to pack a case full of disposable nappies or formula etc,

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.