Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
i had to buy nappies when recently stying in alcudia, pampers are so expensive! but if you use the spanish make they are cheap and just as good, didnt really see any follow on milk but some of the larger super markets had baby hienz jar foods etc, also your pushchair is counted towards your lugage allowence but if you keep it back and let the staff take it of you before boarding they dont weigh it!
hope this helps

alcudia is a fantastic place - enjoy :wink:
we've just returned from can picafort and we were able to buy huggies in the local spar shop for around 11 euro's which is more expensive but not by much. We also bought cow and gate baby food (stage 2) at the same shop but also saw it regularly in other shops and supermarkets. Failing that we bought some spanish food (Hiero - I think) and that was equally ok.

Didn't have to buy powder so didn't notice that really.

Buggies do not count as luggage but can't be over a certain weight. We put our buggies in buggy bags which worked well as we could put the beahc tent and parasols in there aswell.
I suppose it might depend on the airline with regard to pushchairs. Not too worried about nappies as will take just enough for a couple of days then buy there, it's really just being able to get the milk really.

Many thanks for your reply
There's a large supermarket behind Sea Club apartments - about a 10min walk. Don't know address but Im sure somebody wil be able to direct you.

Quite a wide selection of nappies, milk etc.

Have nice time!
The Spar shop in Can Picafort, How near to The Holiday village Viva??
there seems to be loads of spar shops all over the place. You shouldn't have any trouble at all getting nappies, food, milk etc.
Thanks for your replies
All airlines will aloow you to take your pushchair on the plane as luggage and it does nto count as your part of your holdall luggage mind you the best thign top do is to use the pushchair right till you get to the plane then they take it for you and out it on the back of the plane
Someone in an earlier post said the same about using pushchair up until boarding and staff will take it off you. That would be really handy actually. I'll check with check-in when we arrive just in case. Thanks for your post
A few years ago whilst in Sa Coma, we bought powdered milk (it was a foreign version of SMA) from one of the Pharmacies. Problem was though, it upset our babies stomach and we couldn't find the UK type of SMA brand anywhere. We actually ended up having one of my work colleagues send 2 tins over via DHL and it arrived in 2 days!!
When we travelled to Majorca with our 7 month old twins we took our own milk just in case we couldn't find it in resort. Have to say it saved on worry which may be something for you to consider even if weight is an issue. Ours was Cow & Gate in the sealed foil bags so easier to pack admitedly but we had double the amount of a singleton and it honestly didn't make too big a dent in our weight allowance.

I'll be honest I never saw any follow on type milk but I'd say if anyone would sell it, it would be the local pharmacia and they stock jarred foods as well - written in Spanish but you get a good idea of what's inside by the pictures on the front :D

As far as buggies go - they're not part of your weight allowance and I don't think there's a weight restriction either (the Germans take their big Emmaljunga prams which way a ton). You can take it to the aircraft steps and it will be put in the hold but if you are wanting it back when you land, be warned that if you have an airbidge to greet you at PMI you'll not see it again until baggage reclaim and it's a long walk to get there (you think you'll reach the sea first). If there's a bus waiting for you you can ask for it back at the aircraft steps and then as soon as you get into the terminal you can put your little one in for the short walk to baggage reclaim. You won't know before you board what it's going to be when you land - what I'm trying to say is look on the bad side and if it's a bus waiting for you it's a bonus!

Pampers & Huggies as brand names are available in a lot of supermarkets BUT they are VERY expensive. You'll see DODOT nappies and they are actually Pampers - same nappy different packaging and MILES cheaper. We've used them for our twins and their older brother before that and never had so much as a leak.

Hope that helps - happy holidays!

Tis
Thanks very much to all of you for your replies. I think that we will now be taking milk with us as opposed to trying to find it there. Nappies not a problem as there seems to be plentiful and pushchair queries seem to be resolved now.

Thanks again
Kim
When we travelled the first time with our daughter I had much the same worries as you. The only difference is that we had already weaned our daughter onto cows milk so the powdered milk wasnt an issue. As far as nappies were concerned, I took half a packet of my usual brand as hand luggage (not in the wrapper but loose) with the remainder plus a whole packet of nappies placed in and around the suitcases (again all loose). Its surprising how many can be slotted into the little spaces between clothes and down the sides of the suitcases :wink:. We then had enough for about 3 days and like Tisonlymoi, when we ran out, we brought the local nappies which were equal to Huggies/Pampers and half the price.

Have a lovely holiday. Alcudia is a big "family" resort and I am sure you will have no problems in purchasing many of the items you need. And as someone once said to me, "Spanish women have babies and children as well and they manage ok". Quite a logical comment when you think about it :roll: . Enjoy :D
Sarah :)
Thanks Sarah. I know it seems silly wondering about things like that and after all they are not a 3rd world country. Just didn't fancy panicking and spending holiday getting stressed trying to find a particular thing. I'm calming down a bit more now with all the reassurances from everyone and determined to have a stress free building to hols and stress free holiday.

Many thanks
Kim
I know its easy to say, but try not to worry too much about it Kim. I was exactly the same the first time we went with our daughter. We've been 3 times since she was born and I cant imagine now what I was worrying about that first time.

Have a lovely holiday :D
Sarah :)
Thanks Sarah. I'm sure we'll be fine. Its just the unknown really, not having been away with a toddler before. Thanks very much
Kim
Don't know if this is any use to you but when we went to Bulgaria last year we took SMA Progress sachets of powdered milk that we'd bought from Boots. They hardly took up any space in the suitcases and were very convenient for the flights as well.
Thanks. I'll have to have a look in Boots. I know they do the cartons but they will weigh alot more than just taking a tin of powered milk.

Thanks again
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.