Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Hi Ana
we are going to Corfu for the first time at the end of May. Purely because Thomson have a Superfamily complex there. No tour operator has a club for under 3's , but some have creche facilities. I know Thomson's creche is for under 4's. Last year we went to Spain and our 2 year old thought it was great.
Jo
Ana, you will not find a children's club for a two year old. The insurance costs are just too prohibitive for them to be run. You may be able to find babysitting/creche facilities at the large hotels where the major tour operators book but the chances are you will have to pay extra.

If you can find some sort of service be careful as to who is actually carrying out the duties. Is it a suitable qualified english speaking child carer or a local girl? I don't have a problem with local sitters now my chiildren are older but you may feel that you want a properly qualified carer for a child so young.

I wouldn't worry about your children having appalling table manners. Fortunately most Greeks don't have the same problems with messy children as Brits do in the UK. As to the other holiday makers, why care?
Don't worry about your childrens' table manners - the Greeks love kids and do not expect them to be perfect. Unlike England, where they are considered a nuisance, Greek restaurants and tavernas positively encourage children. As to other holidaymakers, those without children will never understand anything about them and they are a minority and those with children will remember and sympathise. I always worked on the basis that God intended spaghetti bolognaise to be eaten with the fingers!
As to heated pools - why? We have visited Corfu with our children since my son (the youngest) was 4 - they don't feel the cold. I do, my husband even more so, and we are quite happy with unheated pools in Greece in May.
See if you can find anything in San Stefanos, NW Corfu - the beach is perfect for kids, sandy, gently shelving into the sea, perfect for sandcastles. Plenty of restaurants, almost all the swimming pools are open for everyone and it is really friendly. I'm not sure if there are any big hotels with childrens clubs but try Thomson as I have the feeling it is them who have just built a big new hotel right next to the beach. We go privately now - http://www.nondas.co.uk - and have been for the past five years, the kids love it.
Can't help but agree with what both Bookworm and Magster say.
However we prefer the N/E side in Roda. It's flat, beach AND rockpools,
and safe. (lifeguards on beach) We stay at Hotel Aphrodite in Roda,
(Direct Holidays)and a more friendly, family orientated hotel, you will
never find. The staff love the children, and us older generation can
sometimes get served, if we can drag them away. 99% of us have had
children, and know (and enjoy) what to expect from them. Easy to say,
don't worry, but you and your family are on holiday.Relax and enjoy.
Incidentally, the beach is twenty yards away, and the pool (not heated),is
fifteen yards away. Bus to Aqualand, and all excursions, will pack you up, and drop you back at most hotels.
Once more, completely relax, you'll probably rarely see the children.
Hope this helps, and gives you a new idea. We have been going to this Hotel for 6 years now, and wouldn't change.

Ian P. :D :D :D
now if you want to do as the Greeks, I would stay close to Corfu town to a place like Kontokali hotel (about 100 Euros per night for beach front.) We stayed there last year with my two year old and loved. Most last hotels have a daycare center and childrens pools. The locals of course take their childrent to the main centre sqaure (esplanade) and let them run loose for a couple of hours between 5 and 8pm. Adjacent to this wonderful square there is a little know old playground called Bosketo. Every little corfiot kid has been there.

Good luck
Kassiopi_fan
I would agree with prev posting San Stefanos is great we first took our daughter when she was 2 shes now 13 and still visits every year. The beach is excellent soft sand gently shelving. The locals are so friendly and remember you from year to year. It has all you need a few bars friendly tavernas and as in all of Greece the locals love children. Do your research though the hill is a bit of a killer - pushing a buggy when when you are horizontal is not fun. There is a lot of accomodation on the flat!!!
San Stefanos n.w is Wonderful for kids - the beach is safe and i have accom. with enclosed rear patio-another with swings. The Athena hotel has a toddler play area ( shute, playhouse ) and most pools have baby pool.
Although i think they are to deep for 2yr olds.

read the text on http://www.ionian-gem.com a good insight to the village.
Just to let anyone who knows San Stefanos know, Dimitri Lissaris who ran Jazzmine's Restaurant last year has moved back up to Elpitha's Bistro where he was before; complete with his chef Nicky of course. Seeing as we are staying at Nondas (INVALID URL where the Bistro is situated we are really chuffed - arguably the best food in San Stefanos back on our doorstep and not far to stagger after one Metaxa too many!
i know i should`nt advertise but i got an e.mail re excellairways.com
and i love a bargain they have a special spring holiday price 2 adults /1 child ; all three from 219pnd flight only
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.