General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Policy states you must have been resident in UK for last 12 months, or if you live in Eire, you can pay an extra premium for cover. So residency seems to be the key but they have a helpline, so you could always ask them.
You also get 14 days to cancel the policy once you take it out.
Pat
:glynis
Sorry Pat I should have said we are in Belfast so are UK citizens but we can hold either passport or both, like us.

We are seem to use our Irish passports more now and just occured to me is the insurance still valid.

I will give them a call and check
Thanks
:D
having had a heart attack and a stroke 10months ago and diabetes,im looking for travel insurance to cover me for 2 weeks.all the ones i ring up will cover for 1 or the other of my conditions not all 3.1 quote came to more than my holiday :shock: ..seems there trying to put me off travelling abroad..can any-one help????
Have you tried the ones recommended in Page 1 of this topic for pre-existing conditions?

luci :wave
Try the Post Office - my dad always uses them

Rgds Jackie
Hi.

I am going to the USA for 28 nights (June 30th - july 29th).

I wonder if you can assist me, my dad has terminal cancer and i dont know how to insure myself incase anything should happen to him whilst we are away, or on holiday at the time. I am going with funway holidays but so far havent got any insurance. They state that i should tell the medical team of my dads illness before i go, and that every insurance company will be the same.

Is there any cover out there that will reimburse the cost of the holiday if i have to cancel, the trip is in excess of £5,000. I am not sure what to do.

Please help.

Michelle and thanks.
Can't help with the insurance I'm afraid, except to suggest calling the companies on page 1 that cover pre-existing conditions.

However, if you have booked all the hotels direct and not through a third party, they will have a cancellation policy which states that you can cancel up to 24 or 48 hours before arrival without penalty.

luci :wave
WE are going to Spain in october.My husband had a triple heart bypass in january - his gp has said he is fine to fly & not to worry.However we have tried to get insurance but it is going to cost more than our holiday!Friends have told us not to bother with insurance as we covered because spain is in the eu.Can anyone advise us or tell us where we can get resonable cover.Thanks.
Hi, Iam going on holiday to lanzarote in 3 weeks, however I have just come out of hospital with what was suspected appendicitis. Fortunately they did not have to operate as it settled down with rest and fluids, however the doctors have warned me that this could happen again and if it does my appendix would almost certainly have to be removed. Iam now concerned about my travel insurance, will they still cover me for this in the unlikely event that it flares up whilst Iam abroad or will they treat it as an existing condition?
Hi stace ... from what you say, I am assuming that the condition was not known or diagnosed at the time you took out the insurance, in which case the insurers are not aware and have not accepted this as a pre-existing illness.

To ensure that you are fully covered, you really must speak to your insurer, as it is most likely a condition of cover that you inform them of any hospital admission or treatment received since the date the policy came into effect.

Depending on the insurer, they may ask for a 'fit-to-fly' letter from your doctor, but I would hope that cover would still be provided in relation to that illness, perhaps only with an increased excess for any claims which are directly related.

Please also ensure that you have a valid EHIC card.

David :wave
Hi , sorry for the delayed reply. I havent yet taken out the insurance so I presume when I do I have to declare it. Was unsure because it was never officially diagnosed as the doctors were not 100% sure that it was my appendix the official diagnosis on my notes was unknown.
Yes you will need to declare it. They usually ask whether you have been an inpatient in the last 6/12 months of if you have been on a hospital waiting list.

Kath HT Admin
O.K thanks that clarifies what I thought.
I'm not making any rushed decisions, but it might be that we will be unable to take our holiday in Turkey at the end of October. We will have to play it by ear and see how things are in in a couple of weeks or so.

Hubby suffered a heart attack at the weekend.

So, bearing in mind all health issues should be declared before insurance is taken up, I presume I need to inform the insurance company of his this?

Will this now cost us more on the policy we have already taken out?

TIA

Pearl x
Hi Pearl ... I am sorry to hear that and hope hubby makes a fully recovery.

Yes, you will need to inform your insurer. They may apply an increased premium, or they may just apply an increased excess for any claims directly related to his heart condition.

Hope everything works out okay.

David :wave
Thank you for that, David.

I'll update if I encounter any problems.
Just a plug for Direct Travel insurance. My wife has recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure and now takes medication to control it so I was expecting either an increase in the premium or at least an increase in the excess. However, when I rang Direct Travel for an annual travel insurance quote, as long as I took out their Premier European annual travel policy, there would be no extra to pay to cover her condition. Total cost to cover me, my wife, my 20 year-old student son and 16 year-old daughter for a year was £68 which I think is pretty good. My kids are also covered for any trips they go on independantly (up to 21 days) on the same policy. Cover is good (underwritten by AXA) with a standard excess of £50. Excess waiver would have been a fairly steep extra £54 if I had wanted it.
I believe I've got Travelcare Gold insurance...can't find my documents at the moment....everything is still very much up in the air at the moment so I'm not making any decisions to cancel or not until I know a bit more about his condition etc.

He's waiting on an angiogram (spelling?) and that could be up to another 7 days.
Robbo 11,

Thank you for the plug for Direct Holiday Insurance.

Travelcare have given an emphatic 'no', even if he does get the all clear to travel.

DTI have been brilliant and have said, provided the all clear is given, they will cover him.

Its quite a hefty premium, but I think its more than worth it as we need this holiday even more than we did before after everything that has happened.

I have to say hubby is being a complete pain in the proverbials since angioplasty and subsequent discharge, but who can blame him for just wanting to get on with living.....

Thank you, again.

Pearl x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.