General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I personally would always try and get insurance - you never know and although healthcare is apparently good in Goa (if you pay privately) there are times when you just want to go home. I have made enquiries of my own usual insurance company and they do offer long stay insurance provided - haven't checked the price yet because I do not need long-term for a couple of years.
most annual travel insurance policies will give you 3 to 4 months any one trip, if you explain to your broker/agent that you want to extend the trip by x amount of weeks they shall charge the appropriate premium. i am an insurance broker and over the years you have no idea how many people have come back to me and are so glad that they have taken out their insurance. a friend of mine took ill in delhi and the hospital would not treat him until i had faxed them to confirm that we would pay for the treatment (not a lot of money about £200 but they still insisted that we confirmed it to them)

dont go without it, its peace of mind and you never know when you may need it.
If you do a search for backpack insurance (they normally cover log term insurance upto 2 years I think, depending on cost difference it might be worth getting a longer one if you think you'll do the same next year..

Another point to remember is that the insurance is unlikely to cover you for riding bikes etc, especially without helmets/insurance etc....
My friend had terminal cancer and went to Zante for 5 months. The first quotes she got were over £1000, but she got a list of companies from the Association of British Insurers and eventually got cover for only £67 (sixty seven) with Citibond. If she had needed treatment related to her cancer she would have had to pay an increased excess of £250.

Check out the list of recommended companies in the Travel Insurance topic at the top of of this forum.

luci :wave
Hi Frank and I go to Tunisia every year for 6 months and always get our insurance cover from Direct Insurance. We don't pay for luggage cover as this is covered by our house insurance. We have paid a little over £100 for the 2 of us this year. (Papers packed in my handbag in the store room, so cannot be exact. Sorry.) Please do not go away without insurance - it really is not very wise - anything could happen! :shock: Have a lovely holiday. Jenny :D
I have recently put in a claim for a lost digital camera whilst on holiday.
All paperwork requested was sent off,police report etc.
For some reason I didnt include baggage to my insurance.The insurer is not paying for this reason.
Doesnt cameras etc fall under personal items.
Baggage is to compensate you for lost/delayed luggage in transit ,isnt it?
Ive tried to log on to the insurance web page again to check details,but it keeps coming back page not found.
Hi pipefitter ... depending on the insurer, a camera may be considered as a valuable or a personal possession. But it is possible that cover for valuables and personal possessions may be incorporated within the Baggage section of the policy, and may not just apply to cover while in transit.

If you did not have Baggage cover, is it possible you only had cover for medical expenses, curtailment and cancellation ?

The only way of verifying this may be to consult the policy or access the web page.

David :wave
Hi

We are thinking of going on an 80 day cruise with P & O and have looked into taking our their recommended travel insurance. The premium, as you can imagine, is quite high.

I have looked at other insurance companies on the internet who do long stay holidays, but have not found one that has the cancellation / curtailment limits any higher than £3,000-£5,000 each. As our holiday will cost a lot more than that, we are very reluctant to take any of these options. Maybe the only option would be to take out P & O's insurance.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Sue
I have just booked a late deal for the end of October. Can anyone tell me the best place to go for holiday insurance that also provides good cover?

The post office want £40 for 2 adults for a 7 night holiday.

Many Thanks
Try
http://www.insureandgo.co.uk

We use them and have had no probs at all and the 1 time i had to claim it all went through no problem.
I also used insureandgo the last two years for my travel. The price was excellent and you can navigate the website easily to find out exactly what your cover includes.

However I have never had to claim (touch wood) and you only really know how good they are if you have to do so.
Hi, Nichola. We are just back from holiday. The last 2 holidays we booked insurance with Direct Insurance. We as a couple were charged £21 total. I have compared their cover with other ins. companies and they definately cover things like hospital cover with twice the cover of most other companies. My hubby is now 65, and he was not charged any extra for that.
Nichola, should have mentioned the £21 was for 2 weeks holiday.
Agree with digby we have used direct insurance about 5 times over the last 4years this year it cost us £24 for the 3 of us (1child) for a week and that was there top insurance. could of got the lesser one for about £16 and as said they cover the same as most of the big companys infact the insurance you get of them is through axa

yours the fatboy
Does anyone have the web address for direct insurance or any recommendations for cheap insurance for 2 weeks in Mexico? Thanks
Shirley ... links to recommended insurers are shown on page 1 of this thread. I'm not entirely sure about the Direct Insurance company mentioned by Digby and Fatboy, as there are various similar named companies such as Direct Travel Insurance, Direct Line Insurance, etc.

David :wave
Hi, ShirleyH. The travel insurance that I mentioned can be found on http://www.direct-travel.co.uk. I always feel that the cover they give is way beyond what the holiday brochures offer. Lucky you preparing for your next holiday!
I'm in the same position as PearlDavison,hubby had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and had a stent fitted. Currently we are not insured if anything happened on holiday.We don't travel until may.I rang insurance company(GO) and they said they couldn't do anything at the moment but to ring back about a month before we travel and they would see if they could do anything then.Anyone with any experience or advice would be much appreciated.Thanks x
Hi. We've taken out insurance through themoneysupermarket.com at an excellent price. 2 weeks for 2 people worldwide insurance for £30.60.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.