Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Yes Rick, I see the Clerk of the Weather has got my order and you've got sunshine all the way. Have a great time. :sun2
Well, just back this morning after a lovely week in Tunisia. No hint of any trouble and the weather was fabulous. Couple of down points though. Was disappointed to be conned by an employee of the hotel into going to his house in the Medina in Hammamet to sample some mint tea only to find out it was his "sister's" shop and we received the hard sell. Felt genuinely fearful as we left and were pestered all the way out of the place! Food in the hotel was sadly repetative, but as I say, the weather was brilliant.
Welcome back Rick and I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday and the glorious weather. I was saddened to hear of your experience with the hotel worker as it will have left a very sour taste. Even in my early days of visiting Tunisia I never had an experience like that, though I have often been brought a cup of mint tea in a shop and still left without buying anything and without being pestered. I have heard of others having problems however and the trick is to be very firm and just walk out. If that is difficult, simply make a lot of noise, say very loudly SHOOMA (meaning roughly 'you are a disgrace') and that you will notify the police. Please let us know which hotel you were staying at so others may be warned.
Guy said he worked in the hotel and recognised us, could've been a set up I guess but we were at the Dar Khyam in Hammamet. Did feel quite ill at ease which I know is unusual for being in Tunisia though I did notice even near the hotel there was a lot more hassle from shop owners than we ever had before. Not everyone was like them of course, just our experience.
Thats an old ploy, I have had it tried on me in several countries, if you are AI and have a wristband that is a give away, they can even tell the different hotels.

I bet it started off something like 'Hi remember me I work at your hotel' :D
Sorry Rick, but like Kiltman says, unless you actually saw him in the hotel it seems you probably got taken in by one of the oldest tricks in their repertoire. The usual advice when told "I'm a waiter at your hotel" is to respond "Which hotel is that?" but it's not infallible as they may recognise the wristband, guess right, have been tipped of by a taxi driver or actually seen you coming out. Another suggestion is to greet them warmly and say "Yes, I know, I lent you 10 dinars yesterday and you were going to pay me back today so may I have it now please?" That is when they suddenly realise they were wrong and had mistaken you for someone else. :rofl My problem is that I have been going out there for years and lots of people recognise when I don't always recognise them so I'm always worried about appearing rude by ignoring them. :roll:
I know. Only thing I can think of is he recognised the wristband colour as the writing would've been too small. Thought it was strange he was there just as we got out of the taxi, but I did think I recognise him at the time. Bit foolish I guess, but it's dissapointing that a lot of good, honest folk are tainted by people like that. Won't ever happen again though!
I always remove my AI bracelet when I leave the hotel.
I do this by asking it to be put on above my watch when I check in and usually I can remove it.
If I cant remove it I cut it and slot some narrow elastic through the holes and secure it with a small safety pin.
A bit of a faff maybe but worth it! :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.