Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi and welcome to HT :-) Where did you hear/read about reports of violence in Tunisia? And where are you staying? The only references I can find to recent unrest are to fairly isolated instances in the northwest of the country close to the border with Algeria. This is not only an area which the FCO has always advised visitors to avoid for some years but also for which special permission to visit has to be applied for in advance from the Tunisian authorities anyway. Similarly the FCO has long advised UK citizens to also avoid the area bordering Libya to the south. This advice long pre-dated the 'Arab Spring' and hasn't changed since and hence perahps why the FCO sees no need to update their advice.

Both areas are a long way from the resorts frequented by tourists on the eastern coast such as Hammamet and the PEK/Sousse area and Djerba in the southeast is even further away from El Kef.

At the moment, this is comparable to visitors to the UK last summerbeing put off visiting the tourists areas on the south coast because of trouble in London. The majority of us here in the UK at the time knew that we weren't in any danger and even if we lived relatively close to where the riots were taking place had the sense to stay away from them. The FCO advice to avoid areas bordering Algeria and Libya and to stay away from any demonstrations is sensible and in the same league. In other words don't go looking for trouble and it is unlikely to find you. Any protests and demonstrations, just like out riots last summer, are more likely as not going to take place in the big cities and/or industrial areas where tourists are very unlikely to venture anyway'.

I was only thinking over the weekend that this might be the year to try and get a bargain late deal and re-visit Tunisia after some years away and I've found nothing so far that would make me change my mind.

SM
Thanks! Greatly appreciate that. It'd been the trouble reported with the Salafists in Jendouba. Feel a good deal better about it now. Staying at the Dar Khayam. Been to Tunisia in 04, 05, 06 (Bel Air, Hammamet) and 07 (Soviva, Port El Kantaoui - nightmare!) but not since so looking forward to going back.
Jendouba is the far northeastern province of Tunisia and the provincial capital is approx 130kms from Hammamet - in others words a little closer than Eastbourne is to central London. Would you have been put off going to visit Eastbourne last summer? Yes, things could change in the next 4 weeks and it would only be sensible to keep an eye on the FCO advice but unless their advice does change then I wouldn't fret over these reports.

When the time comes I wish you a great holiday and do let us know how you get one and what you think of Tunisia after 5 years away.

SM
Will do! Wouldn't have been put off Eastbourne, but given how trouble had spread during the uprising of last year to the likes of Nabuel and Hammamet it did give me a bit of concern. Looking forward to our holiday, thanks.
The Salafists (hard-line Moslems) have been causing trouble for some time but it hasn't spread to the main tourist areas and is unlikely to do so. I have been out to Sousse a few times since the revolution, the last time in March and there were no signs of any trouble. You do see more ladies wearing the niquab these days, but there is a feeling that it may be more of a fashion statement than a religious one. Life for tourists goes on as before though there are less of them about so you will be made very welcome. During the revolution all the tour companies pulled their clients out and didn't start again until some time later, though BA never stopped flying there and I went out just after.
More trouble, now in Tunis. Getting mightly concerned now!....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18416328
  • Edited by David 2012-06-12 21:35:53
    Post edited for copyright reasons. Weblink inserted to replace copyright protected material.
I've just heard from a Scottish friend living in Hammam Sousse that the curfew has been reinstated from 9pm - 5am in the governorates of Tunis, Ariana, Ben Arous, Manouba, Sousse, Monastir, Jendouba and the delegation of Ben Guerdane, due to clashes between Salafists and police. Al Quaeda have told the Tunisians they should accept nothing less than sharia law. The government are against it and so the bearded weirdos are causing problems the length and breadth of the country.

You will see that Hammamet isn't mentioned and in the areas where the curfew is in place it will really only affect tourists if they want to go out in the evening as they will be quite safe in their hotels. During the troubles last year the tourists were never in any danger and this is likely to be the same this time, I, like most Tunisians, are getting thoroughly fed up with their antics. as they will bring the country to its knees if they kill off the tourist trade. Tunisia did not go through a revolution to have a corrupt secular dictator replaced by dictatorial religious loonies.

I will keep an eye on the situation via friends in Tunisia and post any further news I get.
This is awful news,Such a shame after the revolution last year.
I am off to Thomas Cook tomorrow and would still go if they have something at a decent price for next week. :tup
What a dreadful shame for all the oridinary Tunisians who just want to get on with life and have a peaceful existance, i'm sure this isn't what they were hoping for. :(

Doe :sun2
I'm trying to get more information. Heard this morning that someone was stopped in Hammamet last night but when the police realised he was English there was no problem.

As you say Doe it is a shame, or actually a disgrace that this is happening. It seems that the government is between a rock and a hard place, as they were elected as liberal moslems but seem afraid to jump down too hard on those with another agenda.
I know people are saying not to worry, but I am concerned as I'd rather not be taking my wife and our one-year-old son into a situation like this. As it is there's no apparent threat to tourists, but these things have a habit of escalating quickly and they've begun to spread from isolated incidents to now curfews and into other towns.
I can see your point of view as when you have a young child (or any chidren) with you it is essential you feel safe at all times. Unfortunately you have limited options when you book through a TO, as unless or until the FO advises against travel to any country they are unlikely to let you change or cancel at this late stage without losing a lot of money. It would certainly be worth contacting your TO to see if they would let you change destination, though it would undoubtedly cost quite a bit extra. Last year the TOs pulled out of Tunisia quite quickly once the FO advised as they were afraid of having to repatriate guests, whereas BA continued flying throughout and indeed I was back in Sousse in the March long before TC and Thomsons re-started flights. I wish you all the best. If you are unable to change I wouldn't worry too much. The weather is fantastic in Tunisia at present so if you have to spend most of your time on the beach or round the hotel I am confident you will still manage to have a good and safe holiday.
Thank you for your reply, appreciate that. I do feel for the people of Tunisia who want nothing but peace and prosperity, hopefully they'll see that soon. Not in a position to change our holiday now unfortunately, but at the same want to go to Tunisia. Been there five times before and loved it though not since 2007.

Do you think the weather will hold incidentally, due there in two weeks?
Unfortunately I can't find a weather forecast for Hammamet, only Sousse and Tunis, but here's a link to Sousse for the next month: http://www.accuweather.com/en/tn/susah/321052/june-weather/321052 (sorry I can't do nice neat little links) and I've also checked Tunis and it is much the same. I have, however, put in a firm order for continuous sunshine with the Clerk of the Weather out there, especially for you.
Just back from Sousse a couple of hours ago , all seemed quiet there last night, the first we heard of it was at the airport this morning, when people had had worried txts from friends in the UK. We were staying at the old Tej Marhaba, no trouble at all exept the Hotel has been swamped by Russians. It looks as if their tour companies seem to use few holels, but keep all their customers in big groups in selected ones No real trouble but a few shouting matches, and quite a lot of ill will being built up I fear.
Alan
I spoke to a friend in Sousse this afternoon and he says it has all been quiet today though there was some trouble last night. I didn't get any more details but from what Gramps says it would not appear to have been widespread but probably restricted to a few areas.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday gramps, despite the Russians. Taken as individuals they can be utterly charming but a nightmare en mass.
Latest update from Hammamet today - hot, busy and not a salafist in sight. The curfew has been lifted everywhere as far as I know so it seems things are looking up. :sun2
Hia, although it was last year, when the trouble was on while we were there, I can honestly say, we felt very safe (family worried about us going) they had a helicopter flying over the hotel and along the beach daily (we stayed in the Sol Azur) yes, there was army trucks on the streets, but they gave us a wave as they went by, we never once felt uneasy, sadly I felt this had a major effect on people going to Tunisia, as the hotel and surrounding areas were so so quiet. I hope this easiers your mind a little even though it was last year, I have not heard of any trouble this year.
Have a fab holidaybobs :-)
Hiya again, just re read my message, and I hope it didn't come across like we were in a war zone, with me saying about the helicopter and army trucks being on the street, if it did come across like that I apologize, it was hard to believe that whilst we were there last year, that there had and was trouble going on. The only effect I feel that was had, was it was quiet and tourism was badly affected.
I hope you, your wife and baby have a wonderful holiday :-)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.