Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
We have taken our children to Turkey in August and they were fine but my oldest grew up in Turkey until she was 18 months so maybe she was more used to it, they are also quite dark being half Turkish. The heat never really bothers them that much. we are going back this Ausgust too.

It obviously depends on your children really. Are they very fair skinned, does the heat bother them a lot?

If you do go then buy them those UV suits for the pool and the beach and lots of sun cream and don't let them play directly in the sun during the hottest part of the day. Also make sure they drink plenty of water and have a hat.

Kedi
I have travelled to Turkey in August and it was far too hot for me. I wear factor 60, a hat and always cover up and still was ill with heat stroke. Personally, I wouldn't take children to Turkey in August. I am going the beginning of September and already beginning to be concerned about the heat. The evenings and nights don't seem much cooler. When my children were younger, we always went to Northern Spain - shorter plane journey and not too hot.

Regards

Janice
I wouldn't go to Turkey in August and I'm 35! :rofl

I can't imagine doing it with young children.

I went once in August and it was far far too hot for me. Maybe I'm just a wimp. I prefer May and the end of September.
I have taken my daughter to Turkey in July since she was 15 weeks old (she is now 5) and the heat has honestly never been an issue for her. (some days the temperatures passed 50 degrees). My daughter is blonde haired, blue eyed and very very fair skin, I've always used those UV suits with long sleeves and legs, hats and factor 50 suncream. She has never caught even a hint of the sun! Poppy spends most of her day in the pool, I keep her well topped up with drinks and ice creams, the heat has never bothered her for a second. As long as you take precautions, I don't think it is an issue at all
I would say that in my experience children cope with heat a lot better than some adults. We have always taken our children to hot places in the height of the season, and now our grand-children come to Turkey July/August. It doesn't seem to bother them at all. As long you're sensible with hats, uv suits, plenty of water to drink etc., they seem to be fine.
we've been taken our daughter to turkey in august for the past 7 years (she 13 now) we always use P20 on her and a high factor "top up" suncream and she also wears a t-shirt in the pool and she's always been fine

but as alot of things whats good for us isn't always good for somebody else but hope this helps a little for you xx
Thank you for all your replys. My children are both very blonde so very fair, we are going to spain on the 24th August, so i think i will see how they cope this year.

Thank you for all your replies xx
We always go last 2 weeks in August with the kids and have never had a problem
I've been to Turkey (Side so slightly hotter as further south) in July, August/September and October. Also been to Ephesus in late June. My kids are now 16 and 10, the youngest they were is 13 and 7. Thermometers that were in the sun reach 55C at a bar last year (but they were in direct sun so not totally accurate....but it was still HOT).

Neither of them are too bothered by the heat. The youngest spends all day in the pool, apart from the one hour we drag her out to eat, re-suncream and rest. The eldest lies in the sun with her ipod, or floats around on the pool (until we decide she is overheating ;) and the inflatable needs overturning :rofl ) They avoid icecream during the day, as its so cold it makes them feel ill. We also don't refridgerate our water as otherwise its too cold (though keep it out the sun though, as warm water is not pleasant!). It isn't much cooler and night, and they are both slightly more uncomfortable then (more so as the teenagers has got older and my input into 'cooling' clothes has been ignored :que ). But not too uncomfortable, we fill a handbag sized spray bottle with water (and a drop of some essential oil) to spray on the backs of the necks. Thats nice and cooling. Also putting wrists onto a cold glass is nice. Keeping the airconditioning on if you go out at night makes the room nice and cool for coming back to (shut curtains in the day).

BTW, both of my girls have long hair, and they tend to be much cooler if its tied back away from their necks. The eldest is also very very thick, and since she has refused to wear hats she hasn't overheated. Ok, probably not the best thing to do, but she makes sure her scalp ins't exposed to the sun by clipping her hair back over her parting.

HTH :sun2
About all mediterranean coasts are hot in august. Approximate temp is about 35-38 degree in south of turkey. i guess it is not that hot and every year due to climate change, the temps are going down.
So what are the average August temps for both day and night then ?

According to various websites it looks like it could to be anything from around 38-45 by day and around 28-30 at night ?

:que
Rotterdam,

Like anywhere, temperatures can fluctuate but August is one of the hotter months and 35-40C is common through the day and up to 30C at night. That's why I normally go in September when the edge has come off slightly, but we've still had over 40C in the day in Sepbember with around 27C at night. Just as an example, this was about average last September on the beach front in Icmeler:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/IMG_5268.jpg

Daily temperatures are posted by Chelsea Boy on the WEATHER: reports, news, Q&As topic.

Darren
Yes average is around 35-40 degrees. If you are really worried about the hot, then you should visit on June or September. July and Auguts is hot in all mediterranean countries. Also June and September are the cheapest months for accommodation than July and August.
June or September is not really an option .
There is a thing called School Holidays .

Go in July /August take care , get out of the sun at lunch time .

The eldest is also very very thick

A bit harsh :rofl
:whoops Knew I'd type something stupid once the post got to the end of the box and I couldn't see it......obviously I meant she has very very thick hair :duh
Glad you cleared that up . or I was calling the NSPCC !
We have school age children & so always go in August with no problems. It goes without saying that you wouldn't want to go there on a hiking holiday in August but children want to be in the pool anyway, so that's that problem solved. :lol:

Stick to the obvious (high factor cream/sun hats/parasol & plenty of time in the pool to cool down) & there will be no problem. Our children were aged from 3-8 when we first discovered Turkey in 2004 & this year will be our fifth visit.......and they wouldn't want to go anywhere else.
In june it cools down at night but in August it just doesn't!.

AC is a must in your apartment and lots of water and high suncreams for during the day. Just be sensible and you will have a lovely holiday. It is the people who aren't careful that end up looking like a burnt chicken and trust me, there is alot of them about in August :rofl
We went to Turkey in August last year and it was very, very, hot, but then my family are all sun worshippers, happy with temperatures that melt tarmac. My daughters are all grown up now but whenever we holidayed in hot countries when they were small we just made sure that they drank plenty of water - not fizzy sugary drinks for these will just make them hyper and so dehydrate more rapidly - covered them in sun-block and made them wear hats, also it is best not to be out at mid-day so try to get them to take a nap at this time with the promise of staying up extra late as a reward.
Also, take some anti-bacterial hand gel, the sort that you can use to wash hands without water, because when on the beach or next to the pool kids tend to handle everything then want an ice-cream or snack and fresh soap and water are not always available.
Basically it is just down to good old fashioned common sense.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.