Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I think its a mixture of all of those things. But a big factor for us is that the prices are so reasonable. With a teenage family (2 boys) it can be very expensive keeping them occupied in England or Europe but in Turkey the trips and activites don't break the bank. And if the kids are happy then we are happy. Di. :)
what i feel is that turkey is not all hustle and bustle as say the likes of benidorm ,when i have been to places like that i feel as if i need a another holiday , although you can still get the buzz in certain places in turkey ,i think there are far more places to chill out and relax , only my thoughts .

bluepeterno1
Its the kindness of the locals that makes Turkey special.When we went to Side 13 years ago we made friends with a local family who invited us and our friends to their home for a birthday party.They lived in the old town and had tables and chairs arranged outside.We went back to see them in March with the photos we had took back in 1993 and they were delighted to see us and gave us a lovely photo of their daughters wedding.
I think Turkey is a wonderful place too and the people are out of this world. I have never met such a happy and friendly bunch of people in my life. Once you have met them once, you are treated like an old friend.

This July was my first visit to Marmaris and I returned in September. I am going back again the first two weeks in May and I cant wait. I too am having the blues awaiting my return to Marmaris.

I keep in touch with a few Turkish people we met there on our 2 visits and we email, text, msn video together. Its just a fantastic country filled with fantastic people.

Mary x
There is a Turkish saying, 'you drink Turkish Coffee together and you are friends for 40 years'. Really it doesn't even take the coffee. I find that people remember me a lot more often than I do them, I get people asking me how my wife and kids are, my parents (often by name) and I spend the whole conversation thinking where do I know you from. Then later I will remember that I bought a T-Shirt from them last year or ate in their restaurant once.

What make Turkey is the people, pure and simple. You first come for the sun and the price, you come back for the people and atmosphere.

In the UK people you met once or twice you may only share nods of hello, here you meet them once and you are friends and passing on the street becomes an event.
forgot to mention the people,they are great ,i have met and bfriended plenty of them and they never forget you one guy who works in the hotel we go to in belek calls me his uncle and says i am his fathers brother , he tells me all his worries as he works all season miles from his family ,and i consider this a great honour.
It's everything about the place, the good weather, great food, beautiful scenery, warm sea, the lovely people and the warm welcome. It can be all things to all people, busy, quiet, hustle and bustle, or chilled. There are so many types of holiday you can have that's probably why it suits so many people and lots come back for more. :D
i totally agree with you chris, for us its a combination of the lovely warm friendly people, the stunning scenery, wonderful food, great weather, fab shopping and prices, lovely beaches and warm sea, i like to get out into the not so touristy places, and the scenery, beaches are out of this world , restaurants fantastic once you get away from the touristy places, so many places to see and do in this big country wonderful, aswell as all the historic things to visit, we never get tired of it
Not much more to add. All of the above plus the wonderfull days out aboard a gullet ship taking in the sun, swimming in the deep blue sea and sampling the food and drink whilst getting to know fellow holidaymakers. Bliss!
Agree with everything that has been said so far. For us too it's the people that make it the place it is.

Wilson :wink:
The people,they really go out of their way for you, now dont get me wrong
I'me not soft, they are out to make a living but they do it with a smile and a joke, you would not get such good service any where in England.
They are genuinely interested in you as we are in them, when they say you are my family they mean it !!
I agree with most of the remarks on the site they never forget you, you feel really welcome, we love to keep intouch with our Turkish friends (family )
The whole atmosphere takes you over, I cry when I have to come home, I feel I am leaving true friends behind, roll on June, going for a month,Yippi !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
We were told by a Turkish person in Icmeler that the Turkish people only remember good people, people who afford them the time of day and give them respect. The others are instantly forgotten. I have said this many times in my pieces but to make a friend of a Turk is to make a friend for life. Turkey is the only country that we are happy to return to time and time again. We have been to other countries and enjoyed them and said that we would return to them at a future date but have not done so. Cyprus is the only exception whereby I was stationed there with the R.A.F. and was told that if I didn't return there within ten years then I would return there at some point in my life. This has been the case as we've had two holidays there and are considering going to the Turkish part in 2007.
The land of a thousand and one kindnesses and a million memories.
Margaret
i think its everything we have lost in the uk now with our fast living and not having time for our family and friends, so when we are given a bit of friendship and people are really glad to see you it makes a whole world of a difference, i hope it dosn't go the same way we have
Hi all, for 1 i agree it's the hospitality of the people, yes they are paid low wages and work for tips but they go well out of their way to make your holiday enjoyable, have amazing memories of things you cannot remember :oops:, spoil you for 2 weeks and end up genuine good friends.

2. It's the simple way of life, the things that we have past forgotton with all the health & safety measures (some understanable, some ridiculous) in this country. Could you imagine risk assessments in Turkey, it would spoil their whole way of life.

3. The transport system puts ours to shame, where in this country could you stop a bus that passes every 5 minutes and then stop it where you want to get off.

I visted Marbella in Spain in early October and could not find anywhere to change money (you can change it at 3 in the morning in a supermarket in Turkey), couldn,t find anywhere for a full day and the Spanish people were so unhelpful and impolite. Not again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.