Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
There is also the new Abbey zero card which now does not have the conversion loadings.

It is worth having one of these cards it you travel.

Most TA's when pushed will drop or reduced the CC fees.

If the TA acts as an agent for the cruse line(most do) then it will be the cruise lines fee policy since they are the ones that should be taking the money NOT the TA.

On-topic,
don't worry too much about the prices going up, many cruiselines do this partly because they have sold quota and partly because they have deadlines for early booking and incentives and need to change the prices(UP) to make the early bookers feel better. OV always drop the prices again leading up to Xmas, there is a dead period for bookings over Xmas so they need to get those Jan cruise sold out.
On the conversion applied to your card X now has a part on their Xpress pass that you fill in prior to the cruise. You need to check the appropriate space Do it on line so if ever they did charge you then from what I have read on CC they have refunded the charge. This is happening to Canadians and probably many others.
They shouldn't do it but sorry to say it is happening all the time. For me I have enough cards and continue to use my Nationwide card without a problem.

Sue
i will be paying by cash or debit card, probably november/december.

will prices have dropped in november for a jan 15 cruise do you think?
Who knows for sure. I think you need to keep an eye on things and if you see prices fall then consider booking. I don't think you need to worry too much right now.
I booked for the QM2 last November. Prices for the Caribbean and New York were favourable and had been for a couple of weeks before I booked.
Probably October will see prices hopefully falling.
Again think about using your CC for the protection it gives or Visa some Debit cards will cover you. Last thing to use is cash in my opinion. If booking on line you will need to use a card of some sort. if you use a CC and pay it off in total when payment is due you will not incur any interest. I have a direct debit for all my cards and I collect air miles American Express cashback Nationwide and points for vouchers with M&S.

Sue
it is likely to be booked at thomas cook so cash/debit card will be used. i don't have a credit card.

i wont have the money until later in the year anyway so am not too worried about current prices.
although wouldnt want them to keep rising.
I am wondering if you will be able to get the best possible deal using TC shops in the high street. Sometimes it will be OK but other times it may be that the best deal is to use an Internet TA.

Sue
Yay!!

we have taken the plunge and actually booked a suite for the ov2 cruise 14/01/09.

we managed to get it on just a £20pp deposit and also saved over £1000 based on thomas cook prices for the same cruises just 2 weeks ago.

maybe would have been even cheaper waiting a few more weeks but did not want the availability to go as had set my heart on a suite for the first time in my life (and probably the last) and at time of booking only 3 suites left (now only 2 ;) )
plus all manchester flights had gone so had to pick birmingham but that knocked £200 extra off so that will be used to get to brum.

all in all well happy.
big thanks to everyone who offered advice on this.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.