Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I've booked low deposit with Direct Holidays and the balance of the deposit had to be paid 8 weeks later. Best to check with the travel agent concerned.

It might be worth posting the offer you have seen here in case someone can better it. Remember to include departure airport and dates.

luci :wave
hi lucy,

it isnt on an offer it is just that it has a good itinerary at a time when we can get time off work.

cheers
ian
Why not just book last minute, pay in full when you have the money and can go.
the availability may not be there though for the cruise we want.
So watch the cabins carefully, which cruise?

The other option is a 0% purchase credit card, should use a CC anyway for the protection.

http://www.stoozing.com is a good site for this sort of money would need to fund it at around 3% per month
its the OV2 14th jan cruise from barbados for 2 weeks. best price so far for 2 adults WITHOUT insurance is £3600 for a BC grade outside cabin with balcony.

anyone know of anywhere cheaper?

also a question on balconies - would you prefer the left or the right side of the ship to have your balcony?
tuppence wrote:
its the OV2 14th jan cruise from barbados for 2 weeks. best price so far for 2 adults WITHOUT insurance is £3600 for a BC grade outside cabin with balcony.

anyone know of anywhere cheaper?

also a question on balconies - would you prefer the left or the right side of the ship to have your balcony?

Ok, I don't do OV pricing that often, whenever checked allways to much.

These are the cheap weeks so that sounds a lot, expect lead in prices under £900pp for two weeks caribbean on those dates(flights might have gone up a bit)

What happened to OV pricing this year on those dates? were you checking?

I would expect plenty of availability late booking was there any for the similar trip this year

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=18518

gives you around £500pp for flights for a carribbean trip.

Why OV?

The obvious thing is how sure are you you can get this money, I would never commit this sort of expense without knowing 100% the money was available and that includes losing all income tomorrow.
I don't keep as much TXT history these days but do have some, I have looked it up on my old PC

This gives us some lead in price info

Today for the 2009 Jan date saveNsail
leadin £1335, BC £1758(£3516) so about the same as you have.

So this year for Jan cruises how did prices go in 2007

TXT on price for Jan
20070818 £1219-£1299
20070923 £1109-£1159
20071114 £675-£725
20080123 £725 (feb)

My guess is the sweet spot for availability/cost will be Nov/Dec just before Xmas.
Obviosly this does not tell us what Balconies will be avaialble but should save upto £1k by waiting might even get you into a suite for the same money.
sorry for being thick but what does that all mean?

thanks for your time and trouble.

ian
What it means is if you had been going on the cruise this year(Jan08) and booked in June-Aug 2007 you would have paid £1200pp or more , if you had waited till Nov/Dec 07 you would have paid under £750pp based on an inside cabin(scale up for a balcony) a saving for two people of nearly £1000.

My view is the same thing will happen this year, history repeats, book now you pay £1300pp wait till Nov/Dec you will pay <£800pp might be a bit more due to flight costs going up.(again insides but the other cabins will show the same pattern).

Personaly I would look for other cruises that fit your dates and wait to see which gets the cheapest but book before xmas.

You don't have the money now anyway, so waiting is your best option.
cheers

i have looked at others but nothing stands out.
either destinations we have seen before, or ships we aren't keen on.
we are still looking though.

ian
Hi Tuppence

My advice is to wait until at least 6-8 weeks before.

We managed to get 14 nights with OV1 outside cabin on 31st Dec 07 for £815 per person and we had a fabulous time.

I am waiting until December before booking

HTH
Biff
cheers for that.

the problem is that if i leave it until late (which i would do) and that cruise isnt available, i will be strung up by my wife.

i don't know what to do for the best.
OK, if we don't hear from you in the New Year will assume you have been strung up!
prices have gone up by £150 since i checked a month ago.
is this the norm?
This does happen with all cruise lines as the prices with all the BIG US companies price by supply and demand. If I were you I would still wait and you will DEFINITELY find something to suit both you pocket and your remit. Don't panic!!

Sue
The other option is a 0% purchase credit card, should use a CC anyway for the protection.

Slightly off topic, but the "handling charges" levied by many tour operators always puts me off paying by credit card.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.