Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
valentin son bou
12 Posts
Yes, there's a thread lower down where someone else asked similar here

You can read than and take a look at my own pics and comments here on my own page.

The hotel has got a website its http://www.valentinhotels.com/en/hoteles/sonbou/

There ya go, plenty to be reading. Have fun.
I've just come back today from a weeks stay at the Vaentin Son Bou. What a great holiday - fantastic hotel, friendly staff, good food, good with kids (mini-club), big pool, plenty of sunbeds and 6 out of 7 days we were blessed with glorious sunshine and temperatures around 25-31 degrees.

I really could not praise this hotel enough - it is the best we have stayed in by far over the past few years. The hotel is up a steep hill but a courtesy bus runs every half hour throughout the day to the main resort and beach. In the evening you would have to walk or get a taxi if you did want to venture out.

I would recommend going All Inclusive. We booked flights with Thomson and the accommodation with checkin2.com. AI was not much more than HB when we booked and was well worth it for us with 2 kids to keep happy with ice cream lollies and pop (not to mention a few beers for me and the wife!)!

Not sure what deal you have got, but may be worth checking checkin2.com or alpharooms or medhotels until you get the best price - they can vary by a few quid and sometimes you can save a few quid just by spending 20 mins comparing website prices. We never book through agents now as their commission has become our spending money (and it can be 25+% of the total cost of the holiday!)

If you need to know anything else, just post a reply and i'll log in later and let you know. I could go on and on and will be writing a review at the weekend in any case!

Cheers, Colin.
Thanks for the link to hotel Siftersam.

I've added this hotel to our review site.

If anyone has stayed here please assist your fellow holidaymakers by writing your review Click Here

Many Thanks :wave
Thanks for the info, we have found this hotel via a link for 1/2 term 2007 though cannot find flights yet!
Prices for 1 week are from sc £137, hb £340 ai £460.....what did you pay?
Would it be worthwile to pay sc price on booking, then upgrade when there?
I know end May can be lovely, but do the nights get cold, and being up high, can it get windy??
We have 2 kids that will be 7 and 6 next spring, is there enough to keep them occupied for this short break that will also allow some relaxing time for mum n dad?.....never been to menorca before.

Many thanks,

Mark
Sounds like a good deal! We paid about £500 for the AI accomodation. I think it was 26 euros a day to upgrade (per adult), I assume it would be about 18 euros for children.

The weather was between 21c and 31c whilst we were there, improving as the week went on. On the last day (30th May) it was overcast but looking at the forecast now I think that was just a blip. You are not 100% guaranteed the weather but it should usually be good. Nights were not cold at all. it was breezy (more during the day), but this was quite refreshing.

Your 2 kids will love it. The hotel run mini-club would be great for them. Regular actibities during the day (every day) and a mini-disco at night. There are plenty of kids in this age group, so they should make friends and give you some peace! All the staff are great with the kids, from the bar staff, to entertainers and receptionist - they make you all feel very welcome.

The hotel is featured in the current Thomas Cook brochure and this will provide you with more info about the hotel (and the savings you can make by booking it all yousrelf). A taxi from the airport cost us 26 euros each way or you could hire a car relatively cheaply.

All in all I would highly recommend it. We plan to go back very soon!

PS - where was the link for the prices you have found for next year - they seem pretty good!

Anything else you need to know, just ask.

Colin
http://www.quickrooms.com are the bookers that quoted the prices
AI is cheaper than I said before!!!
Dont know if anybody is cheaper, and you cant book direct with hotel yet.
26e per adult per day upgrade works out expensive, when the difference between sc & AI when booking is >£300 which includes kids.
Think if I can book flights cheaply, then we'll be going......
Dates put in 25 may 07- 01 jun 07

Mark
Hi

You say valentin is not in hotel listings. I have just checked, because I knew it was there, wrote a review in 2003, it is still there! BUT the hotel is called San Valentin Hotel - not Valentin Hotel - maybe that is why you could not find its listing.

Have stayed there many times, always try and stay once a year, have not booked yet for this year! but from other postings it seems they now offer AI, so is this new for this year? does anyone know. Sorry to see they have done this, having experienced an AI hotel once (not in Menorca) sadly it attracted adults who drank from morning till night every day, and were a nuisance to all the other guests.

This hotel has always catered mainly for couples and families, hope it stays that way.

Have always highly recommended it to everyone, hope I still can after this year.

Regards

Lena
Hi

You say valentin is not in hotel listings. I have just checked, because I knew it was there, wrote a review in 2003, it is still there! BUT the hotel is called San Valentin Hotel - not Valentin Hotel - maybe that is why you could not find its listing.

Have stayed there many times, always try and stay once a year, have not booked yet for this year! but from other postings it seems they now offer AI, so is this new for this year? does anyone know. Sorry to see they have done this, having experienced an AI hotel once (not in Menorca) sadly it attracted adults who drank from morning till night every day, and were a nuisance to all the other guests.

This hotel has always catered mainly for couples and families, hope it stays that way.

Have always highly recommended it to everyone, hope I still can after this year.

Regards

Lena
Lena

When we went All Inclusive last week, we found that roughly a third of all guests staying were on that basis. As it is Menorca and this is more of a family type hotel, most were using the All Inclusive option to get soft drinks during the day and a few alcoholic drinks during the evening.

There was never any trouble at all and if there was, it seems to me that the management at this hotel would stamp it out fairly quickly.

I know you cannot book AI through Thomas Cook, but you can through some of the direct websites, as I mentioned earlier in this discussion item.

I recommend you don't let this put you off and book again soon - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Regards,
Colin
We have just returned from a week at this hotel Monday 29th to Monday 5th June.
We found the service and accomodation to be excellent, but just to warn you that the weather can be unpredictable at this time of year. We had 2 days when it was very overcast and there was a very cold wind, so much so that all the guests either went out or stayed inside in the bar/lounge, there was no one by the pool and it was freezing even to walk to the onsite supermarket! That said, we did have some beautiful days, although apart from the final weekend there was a cold wind almost constantly and unfortunately it was too cold in the outdoor pool for the children to swim although they did brave it a couple of times. The children used the indoor pool alot and the mini club reps (Gio and Abi) did a good job keeping them occupied inside).
I think this weather was unusual as many guests returned year after year and said this had not happened before.

We were AI which cost approx £10 per day per person, the only drawback was that you could not get lunch at the poolside bar between 12 and 4.30pm and you had to go inside to the main restaurant buffet which was basically the same as the evening, but with slightly less choice. On a hot day this could be a nuisance as you would have to get dressed at lunch time. The other negative was that quite afew drinks were not included such as hot chocolate and cocktails, but all in all it was probably worth it if only for the convenience of not having to carry cash.

We had a great holiday despite the weather and would return.
If anybody wants to book this hotel direct with the owners, you cannot go through the their website as it is not set up foor bookings, just info.
If anybody wants n e-mail address direct to the director of e-business of the Valentin group, just pm me.
He has promised me that he will keep 2006 prices for those wishing to book 2007, and you have 3 options s/c, hb or AI.

Mark
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.