EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
saint mehmet, not sure what a BMC Austin 3.0 diesel is as both BMC and Austin brands were discontinued in the UK a long time ago.
If your car is of recent manufacture I assume that it is not made in the UK, I have seen some trucks in Turkey carrying the BMC badge and I assume that this is the same manufacturer.
I have also seen Austin Ambassadors in Goa, but think that these have Peugeot engines so will not be 3.0 litres.
If that is the case then the guide will not show prices as it is for vehicles available in UK only.
I would be interested in seeing a picture if you have one.
Hi del949
My Van it is 2006 model has got a stamp on it (British Motor Compony UK)
and they charge a lot of import tax to me :?:
i saw it on catalog before i buy it the steering was on the right side in pictures.
if it is not English where does it come from :!: :!: :!:

http://www.bmccyprus.com/images/290v_kombi.jpg
Never seen one of these before!!!! certainly not on british roads.
must be bigger than picture looks if it is 3.0 litre

The BMC badge is the same as I have seen on trucks in Turkey, can't remember the model of the truck , but in the UK a few years ago they were Leyland Clydsedales.(in turkey they are mostly yellow with a red and blue stripe down the side of the body.
the trucks may be "fatiyha" or something similar to that, but were definately a British designed truck, but your car/van is not.

I can only guess that your vehicle is in fact made in somewhere in europe but am fairly certain that not in UK. (maybe under licence in India?)
Maybe the right hand drive version is intended for marketing in Hong kong, etc

this link takes you to what is left of what used to be BMC
http://www.ldv.com/gb/newmpt.asp

the headlights are different but could be the same vehicle, but are only built as commercial vehicles in UK

gotta get to the bottom of this :D
it is very interesting :!:
everybody think it is English manufacture :(
is this truck you saw?

http://www.sezerlerhafriyat.com.tr/tr/rsmlr/galeridetay/resim20.jpg
The BMC trademark is registered (1564704, E1118348) to MG Rover Group Ltd in the UK. BMC is also the name of a commercial vehicle manufacturer in Turkey, formerly the Turkish subsidiary of the British Motor Corporation. It is belived that Nanjing Automotive may have purchased this from MG Rover, however the brand has not been re-assigned as of 17 July 2006.

from what I can find it appears that BMC (turkey) was created as above.
Apparently it is now owned by the CUKUROVA Group and produces vehicles in Turkey and possibly Iran.
There also seems to be some kind of link between this company and Volvo but that is very confused.

Still, as long as you enjoy you car it's not worth worrying where it came from :D
Still, as long as you enjoy you car it's not worth worrying where it came from :D

unfortunately it is not enjoyfull :(
if i was living in UK i could buy a VOLKSWAGEN CARAVELLE instead of BMC :!:
I lived in Turkey for a few years and although I loved being there we decided to move back to the UK 2 years ago. My husband is Turkish and he worked in tourism so spent 6 months with no time off at all and then 6 months with no money, which made things quite difficult. I wasn't able to work because our daughte was just a baby at the time and it is very difficult to find work legally anyway, you need a work visa and they are hard to come by.

I think Strawberry has covered most points previously so I wont repeat them.

I did love my time in Turkey and I wuold love to buy a house there so we can spend time there when we want but we feel more secure and better off living in the Uk. I also think British schools are better and the standard of educatin is better here. My husband doesn't rate the Turkish school system at all.
Hi
Some good replies here, best one is by Strawberry !

We are thinking about it, but my wife is not so keen as me !

She has just learned English, so learning Turkish she is not so keen on, although we have met a few Russian speaking people out there.

Personally, I just want to go as soon as possible !

Geoff
Whilst Strawberry has some things right quite a few things wrong:

Medical insurance 600 GBP per year for family of 4 isnt expensive-
Electric average 30 GBP per month family of 4 in 180m2 apartment isnt expensive
water 8 GBP per month isnt expensive
Car average family saloon a bit more expensive than UK but servicing etc cheaper.
house hard to heat in winter NO my house on coldest day here without heating on was 13 degrees so dosent ake a lot to bring it up to comfortable and please compare that to your UK house temps- also our winter is about 90 days long- agean coast longer winter admittidley but shorter than UK
Rates here 60 GBP per year Yes year not Month.

Strawberry is right about working here in that you will not earn a decent livingcompared to uk but if you are retiring or have financial security then life can be very good here.
one thing you can't put a price on is the quality of life. Not having to constantly rush around with no time to call your own. Not feeling threatened by gangs of chavs in the street. People taking the time to actually talk to you. Being free of a government that tax the living daylights out of you. Buying real produce at a market without the EU dictating size and shape. Living in a society where elderly people are treated with respect.
There are more but you get the drift, it's easy to highlight material things but not so easy to examine the real things that matter.
Hi Bryn,

Well I know of people paying up to £100 a month on electricity - maybe when they have to put the air conditioning on - I know that eats it up.

As for the homes not feeling cold in the winter - I (and nearly everyone else I know out there) felt more cold indoors than outside in the winter! But don't you live in Antalya? That's quite a bit warmer than the west isn't it?

On the subject of cars - all anyone need do is look at the prices - they're FAR higher than in the UK! And secondhand ones are ridiculously expensive! We have to agree to disagree on that one - and let people decide for themselves by checking the prices out.

Someone else mentioned about one of the upsides of living in Turkey is not having gangs of chavs on the street, and I suppose I'm fortunate where I live in the UK as we don't have that problem round my way; so yes, if I were to live in a part of the UK that that sort of problem I would feel inclined to move out too.

Strawberry
Strawberry if people are paying 100 per month for electric they need it checked. Like I said we have a 180m2 apartment (thats real space) , I have two teenage boys who think that the because there a power station on the end of the electric supply and a resevior on the end of the taps then they must use as much as possible!! but our bills arent anywhere near that and we do run the aircon for a lot of time in the summer.

Cars here my Toyota corrolla cost me about 1000 GBP more here than UK brand new but I get a higher resale value and it does not rust out.

Bottom line is with a family of 4 we can live on 10K gbp here very well and I couldnt do that in the UK, so if I had to go back I would have to tear up the passport claim to be an asylum seeker and get everything of the social :D
thats good to know, as im still pondering on the idea whether to move to turkey or not, i have looked into it a fair bit and have to agree with car prices being a lot higher, and motor bikes too, my hubby got quoted £2000 more for a basic suzuki bike that was older than his and without all the extras his has,ie private reg plate, titanium exhaust etc over a grand of extras , so a big difference in motor bike prices. but looking at housing costs this seems where turkey is loads cheaper, electric bills, water bills, council tax etc are so much cheaper than the uk. we were wondering if we could manage on around 14-16 grand a year to live off for 2 adults and 1 small child so if you can manage on 10 grand looks like we should be ok, thats loads less than what we are spending living in uk. ive asked a few people and most have said we should manage 800-1000 a month easily, oh decisions ,got to sell this house first and see what happens re buying in turkey
Whilst not wishing to put a damper on your immediate plans Ellie-Meg, what are you hoping to do long term? We've been out in France now for 16 years, and whilst we would not choose to come back to the UK (no family or ties and friends are now dispersing/dying off) we couldn't actually afford to come back unless we took a dramatic downturn in accommodation - it's too expensive to return to and we could never in our wildest dreams return to the house/area we left.
not 100% decided yet but we are definitely keeping a small house going in the uk if we decide to move to turkey, we might only rent for a year in turkey to see if we like it before buying something, we are only in the discussion stages at the moment. fed up of living in the uk, everything is getting so expensive here , kids arent safe here i darent let my youngest out of my sight, crime seems to have increased, people were i live arent friendly just feel the need to try and better our lifestyle , move to somewhere with nicer people, and better weather and better standard of living, but as i said earlier we are only thinking about it
Hi Karen,

I think you would be very wise to try and keep on some kind of accommodation in the UK. I work with someone who moved to Spain for a period of 8 years and fortunately kept her ex council flat that she had bought & rented it out to her grown up son. She bought it for about 20K if I remember correctly this was years ago but by the time she came back in 1995 it was worth about 105K, might have got the exact figures wrong, but you get the picture. She said she would never have been able to come back, if she hadn't kept that flat. She came back for family reasons wanting to see her grandkids grow-up & be around her own grown up kids, nothing against Spain or anything, my own family had a place there for some years.

The other thing I always wonder about when considering going abroad with children, is what will Ellie's career prospects be like when she is 16 or 18 years old ? I am just not sure how well British born fair abroad in the job market. I do think that the UK is one of the few places that doesn't necessarily put it's own people before immigrants (although I do appreciate that most better paid jobs are held by Brits here before people and any immigrants jump down my throat). Would that be the same in Turkey, I assume most jobs would go to the Turkish born? I don't know your circumstances, so you may be able to set her up in business etc.

I am just thinking out loud here as one Mum to another really.

Chris
yes chris ellie is our main concern. i have been told my other brits living in turkey they can carry on some uk education via the internet or maybe when she gets to the 16 we could bring her home for last 2 years of education, again we need to look at this in more detail , ive been told that private english teachers are well paid in turkey so maybe she could do something like that etc as she will be able to speak both languages. she might decide she wants to come back to the uk as her older brother and sister dont want to come with us as they are adults now so thats their choice but it will be hard to leave them here, emma has left home and ben is still living with us so we could let him live in the house we buy but we wont be able to buy were we live as prices are 1 of the dearest in the uk grrr so even a tiny house is dear, so will have to look slightly further away. its something we are mulling over until we sell this house we cant do anything got a viewing this after so fingers and toes crossed lol
Fingers crossed for you Karen. Properties round here are sticking on the market a bit although this is the SE & I don't know where you are, it might be better. I do think that unlike many you know exactly what you are getting into & are not doing it with rose tinted specs, imagining it will be one long holiday & that Turkey is some sort of utopia & therefore it is much more likely to work out for you. You know their wont be an M&S food bit or Debenhams on each street corner and that most drivers have 'bought' their licences. LOL.

Hope you didn't think I was interfering but I was just thinking what I would consider as a Mum emigrating with a youngish child. People moan & moan about our Ed system then go elsewhere & suddenly say it wasn't as bad as they thought after all. It's only when you experience something worse that you get a bit of perspective. That said some friends went to Athens for 3 years and their kids went to the International School there and it was a brilliant standard of Education perhaps you might be able to find something like that. One of the boys was fluent in spoken & written Greek (which apparently is really difficult) by the time he left.

Hope the viewing goes well. :tup
hi chris

nooo i didnt think you were interfering, thats fine. its good to hear everyones opinion good and bad. yes ive been going to turkey for about 26 years now so know it pretty well and up to 5 times a year different times of the year and my mother lives there so hear good and bad from her. we still are unsure what to do ,think we will make a decision once house is sold if it sells, we live in warwickshire so prices here are pretty high, but we do get some london people buying here to commute as its about 1hr-90 mins from london and slightly cheaper than london prices i guess

karen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.