Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I read on another forum that swim nappies are hard/impossible to come by?
may be worth making sure that you've got enough to keep him going for the duration of your holiday
also may be worth finding out if there's a Boots at your departure airport and whether they stock them?
I would make sure you have one of those plug in mozzie machines and some repllent suitable for young children preferably one without DEET. Maybe some Calpol just in case. Have a wonderful time, I wouldn't think food would be a problem especially if he likes fruit and then of course there is always plenty of bread and the meals are often buffet style with loads of choice. Turks love babies so I'm sure they will rustle up things just for him if needed and if you get really desperate there will always be a mini market near by.
Milk is sut and usually long life although you can get fresh in some places but it is usually quite expensive. Yogurts are easily found.
I lived in Turkey when my daughter was a baby and there wasn't really much I felt I couldn't get there. I would advise you to take baby sun cream though as you can't always get that, or it is expensive. You can buy Calpol in any chemist.

I used to use johnson's Off insect repellent and Johnson's baby cologne to keep her cool.

Prima are Pampers, just a different name. I used Turkish brands though as they are cheaper and just as good - Can Baby, Evy Baby or Molfix. You can now buy Huggies swim nappies but you would need to go to a big suprmarket, or buy one of those reusable ones form Mothercare.

You will also only get fresh cows milk in big supermarkets, look for Taze Sut (fresh milk) or Gunluk Sut (Daily Milk). It doens't last as long as milk here though so make sure you keep it in the fridge and use it within a couple of days or it goes off. You can get baby yogurt and fruit pots.

I'm sure you will find something to feed him at your hotel, if not I am sure they will make you something up if you ask, Turkish people are very accomodting when it comes to babies.

If I can be of any more help just ask.

Kedi
From my experience I would say definately take some ear-drops incase of infection from a pool or just incase he gets sore ears from being in the pool more often than he is used to. There is nothing worse than a baby with a sore ear.
You may be better off taking some babies powdered milk from home, at least as a back up. I think that's what my daughter did.
As others have said most milk in Turkey is long-life, it might not be that easy to get fresh milk, and if you can't he may not like long life. Our grand daughters have always had UV suits and hats to protect them.
Ive taken my kids on holiday since they were tiny, youngest still only being 3 now.
When he was just turned 1 we went to an AI in turkey, im lucky my kids really eat anything so i found feeding him no problem atall.
Breakfast....cereals, fruit, bread, cheese, meats, eggs etc etc
Lunches.....jacket potatos, toasties, fresh pizza, fruit, yoghurts
Mid afternoon they did pastries like croissants which kept him going until teatime.
Evening meals he ate most stuff but there was always pasta and sauces, bread, meats veg etc and plenty of puddings, normally a soup on aswell.

Routine wise with turkey being 2 hours different i kept him to his normal plus 2 hours ish
So normal was 7am brek, 12 lunch, 5pm meal, 7pm bed
I did 9am brekk, 1.30ppm lunch, 4pm snack, 7pm tea then in his buggy to sleep all night.

nappies honestly i always take my own just line your cases with them its so much easier than trying to get out and but some.
Swim nappies are a must....... you can get washable ones i find them more convinient.

Pepeny sunshade was the best thing i bought for turkey it was 30pound but well worth it. just google and you will find ewhat i mean.

sun protection swim cuits are fab and take the hassle out of full body creaming.

Enjoy my 2 always love being in the sun, roll on Aug for me !!!
Oh milk wise, my 2 never like foreign milk to be honest so i kept him on sma progress and took it with me in small ready made cartons as it didnt need to be kept in the fridge.
Then any holiday after ive just not bothered, ive given them plenty of yoghurts, milk products for calcium and just juice to drink but they will have milk in the restaurant with cereal just see if its liked or not.
a plug for the sink - a tip for any age as there are rarley plugs provided
The reason why there are usually no plugs is because its a moslem country and one of their customs is to wash in running water, which they believe to be cleaner.
We took a standard UK plug to our apartment when we first bought it but it didn't fit, so you may have that problem in the hotels. We now have a universal plug which is like a rubber cover that fits over a plug hole, we got it from one of those catalogues that have household items that you get through an agent.
My youngest is 3 now but I always took hand gel, Baby Nurofen, metanium cream which is really for nappy rash but is a brilliant cream for cuts etc. as it coats and heals really quick, and a pushchair with a clip on tray. The tray is brilliant if you go out and about as you don't need a highchair.
The other brilliant idea for when you are eating in restaurants which we used with our own daughter and in later years with our grand daughter, is a seat that screws on to the table in the restaurant - you can get them in mothercare. We have found them a godsend, they are also light and fold up small and flat. The child can then join in sitting at the table and isn't lower than everyone else, and is more likely to want to eat, because they are at the same height as the rest of the family.
Thank you everybody for all your help I feel a little more at ease now and will take everything on board. Only 5 more sleeps yipee xx :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.