General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Jackie
I think I may be in the minority but I do most of my packing very late.
We don't even get the suitcases out of the loft until about 3 days before we go (it spooks the cat when he sees them as he knows he's off to the cattery).
I put in stuff like books, shoes and towels a couple of days before, but all the clothes go in either the day before we travel or on the actual day (depending when we're leaving for the airport).
However, I DO have everything hanging up on those extended hangers over the wardrobe doors a few days before and undies, swimwear etc on the bed.
To me, the hardest part is deciding what you're taking, and washing & ironing it.
After that, packing is a doddle.

Polly
I often start packing about 6-10 weeks before we go! But I think I'm a minority! I have managed to lower it to 4 weeks last year... which is very late for me! We're not going for 22 weeks to Australia but I am already putting some stuff together!
day before ! although i may lay things out on the bed the week before .
All electrical stuff and adapters, toiletries, bits and bobs, chuck them in about 10 mins before we leave !
I know my method isn't for everyone, but it works for me !
I make lists about a month before I go. Get the cases out about a week later and then start putting in the swimwear, underwear, flipflops, suncreams etc about 2 weeks before we go. I always pack too early and tell myself every year that the clothes will be less creased if I left it until the night before before putting them in but I worry about things like, what if I'm unwell a few days before we go - I won't be able to pack. I have to be so organized to make sure everything but the Kitchen sink goes in and I have to do it all myself. Invariably everything's packed, ready and waiting about 3 days before we go, with only things that I need to use on day of departure left out (e.g. hairdryer etc). I have these items written down on a piece of paper on my dressing table to make sure nothing's left out.
I'm a last minute person, I usually make a list out then have have a try on the day before the trip to decide what I am taking, then lay it all out on the bed and pack either late the night before or early in the morning depending on what time I am leaving home.
I normally do it the day before. Just can't bear the idea of the cases being out for weeks before hand plus loads of ironed clothes that I cant wear, because they are being 'saved' for the holiday. I do collect a little stash of toiletries, bying a few bits and pieces each week for about 4 weeks prior.

Doe
After one holida, when evberything is washed and dried, I just put it all back in the suitacase, except stuff I didn't wear as if I didn't wear it that year I probably won't wear it the next year, and sort it all out again about 6 months before the next holiday.

My case is already sorted for this year, and I don't go until end of Aug! How sad is that?
everything i buy for holidays is stuffed in suitcase so i know were it is when its time to iron and pack ....always do it on the weekend before i go then dont need to worry about it at night when i come home from work.
I'm another one who does it at the last minute, either the night before or even on the actual morning if I'm not flying until later. If I did it any earlier I'd be sure to change my mind as to what I wanted to take, so would probably end of doing it twice at least.:rofl Things like adaptors, travel iron and kettle stay in the case from one trip to the other and I usually put things out on the bed the day before.
Things that i have bought new i throw in the suitcase to save room in the wardrobes
then about 10 days before departure get it all out see whats going and whats not iron and hang in spare room , usually pack the night before .
We are off to the Maldives in just over 2 weeks time.Have bought a new suit case this year to acompany the new one we bought last year.Started packing about a month ago.As a kitesurfer one case is for used for all my stuff and the other case for our clothes etc
Being limited to 20kgs per case careful packing is a must.
Went shopping today and found that superdrug sell 1/2 size cans of shaving gel,tiny tubes of tooth paste etc etc which all helps keep the weight down.
I have a list of items that I tick off the list as i pack it.Sounds a bit sad perhaps,but I just dont want to leave someting out.
The passport,tickets and money goes into the hand luggage and on the day of departure i check about a 1000 times that i have packed them :) before we leave for the airport.
I sometimes watch that programme call "Airline" amazed to see how many people arriving at the airport to find they have left their passport or tickets at home.
I pack last minute - day before if I'm leaving early or sometimes the same day if I'm not leaving home until afternoon. However, I have everything organised in my head - holiday clothing tends to be located in the same place so I look out everything and get it washed and ready a couple of weeks before (plus trying on in case my size has changed since the last hol!). Same with all the other stuff that I have to take. Passports and so on are checked some months before or on a regular basis - basically I move things from their permanent homes to a transition home before packing last min. Leaving things sitting in cases for too long only means more ironing and I do not iron on holiday if I can possibly help it (rolling things up like sausages usually helps keep things crease free).
I always have great plans to be more organised each year and pack early but in reality I just can't seem to do it! I'll end up packing the night before and then popping last few bits and pieces in the case minutes before we leave the house. I'm always really stressed when getting everything ready...having to pack for the four of us. Does anyone else insist on having the house nice and tidy and beds changed before you go? Why do I do that? But I'm sure I'm not the only one that does!
I usually start about 4-6 weeks before we go laying out stuff on the spare bed and making the kids try on things to check they havent grown out of them.

I do have a list as well but that is for passports, tickets, insurance docs and stuff like that then i know i have them if they are ticked on the list...(i'm sounding abit obsessive now :rofl )

But i dont actually pack until the day before we go as there always seems to be more stuff to add to the cases and then taken out again when we go over the weight limit ;)
Last minute for me too, the night before if we have an early flight, same day if it's later on. I also have stuff on the spare bed or hung outside of the wardrobe. I'm also guilty of not wearing half of what I take, but the weeks before I stress out about what to take, then panic and put stuff in "just in case" (pun there lol). Last time I took 4 pairs of black cropped pants, why??? well my argument was that 1 pair had pockets, another was more comfy, 1 pair slightly shorter but there was absolutley no need for them 1 pair would have been fine! I think with me it's a case of having to decide what to take, as opposed to just opening the wardrobe at home and choosing, lol. I know if I did my packing well in advance, I would forget what was in there and end up doing it all again :yikes Linda.
I always pack far too early, then keep checking, unpacking and re organising each case :que

I always allocate a case per person or 2 large ones with ours clothes in one and boys in another. However someone told me once to mix all the clothes in the cases so that if any get lost, at least we would all have clothes in another case.

I hate packing - but never would feel settled doing it last minute
nicJW - We also ensure the house is clean and tidy and unplug all the electrical appliances including the sky box an TV just in case,check the gas is off at the cooker.
Ensuring that all the windows are closed and locked well before we leave the house.
Then a final walk through to double check.
Not quite obsessive complusive disorder but I like to be sure :)
Beach Lover

Think I may have a holiday related form of OCD! I check all the things you've said at least 3 times. Check my bag for tickets, passports, money before I've left the house, on the way to the airport, and then once again before the taxi leaves us. My husband gets really frustrated with me. If we go away in this country I always take bacon sarnies for the journey and then fret all the way 'Did I turn off the grill?'. Hubby turned back once so I could check, it was off, but then I knew it would be, but then again...
I end up needing a holiday to get over getting ready for the holiday. It's strange because once I'm there I never give these things a second thought. Perhaps I need help!!

Nic
Think I have holiday related OCD as well. I am obsessive about checking everything over and over. Everything is switched off and unplugged that can be switched off and unplugged and then I send each of the bairns to check before I do a final sweep again myself. All food that will be out of date is chucked out, bins emptied, bleach put down the loos and then I check them all over again. Cases are packed the day before we leave but I do start a holiday 'pile' that gets put on the spare bed about a week before. All clothes, toiletries etc are put in this 'pile' until I'm ready to pack the cases. Travel bag is packed the night before with all the travel documents, passports, money etc and it is checked a thousand times before we even leave our street and then periodically on the 4 hour trip to the airport. I too can never understand how people could get to the airport to find they have forgotten their passports. Doors and windows are locked and then checked again. I feel physically sick before we get to the airport worrying about losing my travel documents or wondering if I have forgotten something essential. Hubby laughs at me and says we can always buy anything that is forgotten when we get there. Touch wood I haven't had to do this.....yet!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.