General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I think I probably do as you do Helen, I start off adding stuff that I know I am not going to need now, new toothbrush etc, beach towels etc, then as time gets near packing gets more serious and list checked off as go, then the night before and morning double and triple check everything, including passport, tickets money housekeys etc.

Have a brilliant time :cheers
i write a list about 3 months before we go, and i throw everything in our suitcases from the list, this includes toiletries,cloths sun lotions the full lot really. then about 3/4 days before we go i sort it all out iron the cloths, wrap all the sun lotions individually in cling film (two bottles got bust a couple of years ago and went on my best evening ware) so by the last day everything is in the right suit case and my list is all re checked off. tickets, money, eu cards, passports ect.... are all in individual envolpoes in the house safe ready to be put in the flight bag :tongue
We fly Sat morning and my case is still empty!! :yikes
I fly next sunday very early, so will pack allday friday and saturday, just gotta get my euros this weekend, and I have everything, I also have done a list of what I am taking, I have to be organised incase I forget somthing. :cheers
We don't leave until a week today and I've already packed my hand luggage. apart from the important documents which will stay in the safe until the day before. My case is already packed to level and I've got hubby's shirts and a couple of his trousers left to iron and 5 dresses and 2 linen trousers of mine to put in. By the time I've finished, I might have to use the extended bit :que There was more to go in than I originally thought, as I was intending loading hubby's hand luggage. Unfortunately, I've just realised that he'll have to take a smaller bag, due to size restrictions.

I will hopefully have packed most of it by Sunday, with only the odd couple of things left to put in on Monday. I can guarantee by tea time Monday, I'll be all set and the time will be mine for beautifying and enjoying a glass of wine :really Yes, just the one!
I pack on the day or night before. Will have started to lay out some things in my dining room for packing.
Shirley and Helen - Didn't you say you only had 15 kilos luggage allowance?
If so, I bet you use up just a litle bit of your Partner's.
Think most of us do though.
I remember reading your posts when I joined a few months ago - hasn't your holiday come around quickly?
We go early Monday morning and i've packed nothing! Cases aren't even out yet and I think we need to buy a new one at the weekend. I always leave it till the day before to pack and always wish i'd started earlier, maybe if we had a spare room to put them in it would help. I have six of us to pack for, I have to do it cause it drives me mental if other people start putting things in the case :rofl

So Sunday I shall be a total stress head! :yikes
Suzie - I use more than my hubby's share- he says he only needs 5kg - probably right too!
I do it in "sections" too, ie, do a bit one day and than a bit more the next.
The dear old Guardian had some helpful ideas on Saturday:

"send eveningwear to your destination in advance, so that the villa staff have time to steam the creases out of your Valentino"

OK, they weren't being very serious but see their rather more usefui advice HERE
I just pack the day before and I have to pack for 4. :yikes do try and get the clothes prepared the week running up to the hols and request that folk dont wear anything they wish to take away, but this rarely works so as well as packing I am normally washing and tumble drying a few favorites that have been worn at the last min but must be taken. :really

Used to always stockpile the suncreams/aftersun for weeks before, but now tend to buy at the airport along with new toothbrushes (always seem to have to have new ones for a holiday lol) to save weight in the case.

One thing we all look out for though are holiday reads so that we have something enjoyable, great now as me and DD can double up on books as we both like similar stuff.

Doe :wave
We would starting packing a weel before to stop clothes being worn before we go but there is no room to put the cases, so its the night before.
I'm a last-minuter in a way. My 10/11 kg for a week doesn't take long! The hand-luggage mainly holds my books. These I have ready a couple of days before.

I once got woken up by my taxi-driver at 4 a.m. after a few glasses of wine, threw my clothes on, and threw stuff in a case (make-up in make-up bag ready the night before!). The only necessary thing I arrived in Greece without without was my toothbrush, bought one when I got up. Not bad going I thought. It helps that I have a standard list of things to take on a Word document, I just print it off, and tick off the items as I chuck them in a case.

My other half is much more methodical and prepared - he'll be packing for a good week, and takes a lot more than me.
Everything gets done in my head more than anything. New stuff bought and put away, toiletries the same, existing clothing and footwear found and washed/ironed etc.

Packing is done on the day or the evening before if I'm up early for the flight. I never pack anything in my holdall/case in advance of that.

Why get stuff creased in advance of your hols when everything could be hung up?
Used to always stockpile the suncreams/aftersun for weeks before, but now tend to buy at the airport

That's what we're doing this year for the first time. A thought occured to me in bed last night - Won't the cabin pressure affect the bottles. I wouldn't want them bursting and making a mess :think

I'm far too organized for my own good. I've only got my best dresses and hubby's shirts and trousers left to go in. I'm itching to get it done and we don't go until next Tuesday - I can't stand the thought of not feeling up to it the day before and becoming all stressed out. I'd much rather be ready way before time, even if it means one or two things becoming creased. The shirts and trousers are here waiting to be ironed but I'm putting it off, as I know once they're done, I won't be able to resist putting them in the suitcase :really

As for the allowance Somersetsusie, you're right I normally take much more clothes than hubby but this year I've cut right back - only got 8 dresses and 2 linen trousers for the fortnight. Also, I'm only taking 2 pairs of shorts, 2/3 kaftans and 2 pool skirts. Once I'm all packed I shall be crossing my fingers when the case goes on the scales :duh
Hi Helen

My suncreams/aftersuns have been OK in the cabin Helen, but I tend to buy boots soltan, nivea or ambre solaire (whatever looks like the best deal) in either shake/squeeze bottles or those type of pump bottles they have that aren't pressurised so I guess thats why. Not sure if things like spray deodorants would be OK to buy ? :think tend to get roll ons for hols as they take up less space and buy them in advance and pack in the case.

If it's 4 of us for two weeks, I would need 4 or 5 bottles of sunscreen and an aftersun as minimum, so definatley saves weight in the case. I don't like to buy in resort as often it's expensive and looks like it has been hanging around for yonks, so I worry about it's effectiveness, although I guess it depends on where you are travelling to.

Doe :wave
Thanks Doe. No I wasn't thinking of buying any sprays - I was just thinking about a plastic bottle of water I had in the seat pocket with me once. It didn't burst but took on a flattened shape as though all the air had been taken out of it :que
I'm looking forward to my visit to Boots in Gatwick :)
i've been packing for a couple of weeks now not my good stuff though that gets puts in at the last minute.
but towels shoes bags and suncreams are all packed now plus swimwear all 14 bikinis :whoops
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.