General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
mitchellclr wrote:
Im not really too keen on spain, well its not so much spain..more the Euro ;)

Sorry, but the Pound is fairing no worse against the Euro than against the Turkish Lira!! I keep reading about people avoiding the Eurozone as they think it's too expensive now as the FX rate is poor but no one really grasps that it's the Pound that is weak, against most currencies.

Euro has risen from approx 1.5 GBP/EUR to 1.2 GBP/EUR. A 20% movement over the last 3-4 years
TRY has risen from approx 3 GBP/TRY to 2.4 GBP/TRY. Also a 20% movement over the same time period.

Avoiding the Eurozone isn't really helping...

http://www.advfn.com/p.php?pid=staticchart&s=FX^GBPTRY&p=8&t=37

http://www.advfn.com/p.php?pid=charts&symbol=FX^GBPEUR
mitchellclr wrote:
Hello... Can anybody recomend where is good last 2 weeks of october

im thinking maybe Tunisia or Egypt, also hoping to find something cheap and cheerful... has any body got any input?

I've got to look at late October now as g/f is a teacher... As we like the sun, we narrowed it down to Canaries, Egypt, Morocco or Cyprus.

Cyprus and Morocco should just be warm enough but we've been to Cyprus several times and Morocco we've been once and didn't really like. Similarly with Egypt, too 'all inc' for us, we like to wander around at night without too much hassle. So Canaries it was and Gran Canaria in particular.. October is hottest month on average there !!
well i went to Tunisia the last week of Oct last year and the weather was really good , in fact we wereswimming in the sea , and sun bathing on the beach , but as for bars and clubs then you will be disappointed , as all entertainment seems to be hotel based and everything was closed by about midnight
Sorry, but the Pound is fairing no worse against the Euro than against the Turkish Lira!! I keep reading about people avoiding the Eurozone as they think it's too expensive now as the FX rate is poor but no one really grasps that it's the Pound that is weak, against most currencies.
(sorry not sure how to paste and copy properly) :whoops

I see your point phil.. im just going by prices last year, we went to salou and paid £20 for 2 english breakfasts with a glass of pop each, and in turkey it is less than a tenner...

Thanks lindy... think that rules tunisia out then, im going away without the kids in october and donnt really want to be tucked up in bed by midnight lol..

I dont mind going A.I, because i dont stay at the hotel for every meal, its just good to fall back on if we run out of spends, which is normally the case for me!
in one of this weekend's red tops [sorry cant remember which] a travel article listed the best short haul destinations for those self catering [i cant remember the list but] Greece [euro] came third Spain ,Portugal,came further down as did Turkey.. add to this the puond/euro has increased by 18% in the last couple of months [interbank 1.254 tourist around 1.2] this makes the euro an acceptable currency area

wizard
We went to Kefalonia late October 3 years ago. What a stunning place!!!!!
O.K. it WAS quiet, but there was still plenty bars and restaurants open. (Lassi)

We're going to Turkey this year, but only because hubby fancied seeing Turkey for a change.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.