Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I wouldn't say Kusadasi is real Turkey and you are right Gumbet has changed dramatically in the last 15 years! There are some other lovely places around the Bodrum peninsular though which aren't so commercial, my favourite place is Gumusluk, it is a very small resort, very scenic, a few nice fish restaurants and a small beach. Other places include Torba, Turkbuku and Ortakent.

I know there are lots of other places such as Kalkan but I haven't been there, although I am sure others here will have recommendations for around that area.

Kedi
jill

if you want the real turkey then avoid any of the main tourist areas especially kusadasi, im a similar age to you and we love akyaka its unspoilt, lovely beach, handful of bars, restaurants etc, it also has a lovely riverside with restaurants, have a look at the photo gallery i have put some photos of akyaka in there, its only 50 mins from dalaman airport, and as its in a conservation area you dont get any high rise hotels, akyaka is mainly a diy holiday as i think only antatolian sky do packages there, its a beautiful place in a bay with fab scenery, look at some of these links

http://www.akyaka.com/

http://www.turkuaz-guide.net/gokova.html
Akyaka, Dalyan, Kas, Kalkan for real real Turkey try Gumasluk nr Bodrum easy to get dolmus back and forth if you felt like some night life and nice shopping
I wrote about Datca on an earlier thread mentioned by mehmeh1. Datca fits that bill exactly. You'd need to travel independently but thats easy enough to do. I can pass on the phone number of a reliable and legal transfer company. It has a very Turkish feel and you would be unlikely to see all that many Brits there. If you look on holiday lettings web sites and the other similar ones or just google Datca villas you will find apartments and villas for rent.
Thanks everyone for all your help, Datca looks gorgeous and i think i might go there if i can find a reasonably priced apartment / hotel or villa. Just wondering if a hire car is the best option? My husband is the driver and doesn't seem too keen on driving in Turkey, how difficult is it? Once again thanks for all your help and if anyone knows or nice accommodation in Dacta i would be very grateful. Jill x
driving in turkey is great , the major towns can be stressful but once outside the countryside is beautiful
have a look here... http://www.marmarisyellowpages.com/rent.asp for accomodation only 15 mins from marmaris but situated in a real turkish village with 11 restaurants 2 beaches.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.