Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Prague!! Saw it covered in snow in February and it was romantic and magical, like Disneyland except Real!! Budapest is beautiful but having been to both, Prague is the one I am revisiting shortly :) Early Dec should be especially magical with the Christmas Markets too! We found Prague better value and friendlier too in our case.
you mention warsaw, a better bet would be krakow which is a wonderful place with lots more to see and do plus it is one of the cheaper cities but still quality
I would agree with rabrown and say Krakow, just come back yesterday! My friend for her birthday in Feb this year and it was very snowy and romantic....take your thermals! :)
I've been to Prague and Warsaw this year.
Prague will be the cheapest for beer, around 50p -£1 a beer, and Warsaw prices start at around £1, food was slightly cheaper in Warsaw. I was in Warsaw in Feb this year and it was around -15, but with layers you didn't feel it. The city is more spread out than Prague - but was spotlessly clean. The old town in both are very similar with cobbled streets, but there was not as many outside tables with overhead heaters in Warsaw.
If you want it cheap, compact and a bit more touristy then go to Prague, but if you want a bit more culture and guaranteed snow then head to Warsaw. Also there are a lot of big parks in Warsaw that look amazing with a few inches of snow. And as it is so cold you had a layer of snow on all the tree's branches - just like you see on Christmas cards.
I've only been to Budapest and Prague so can't comment on Warsaw. I'd second Coininban and say Prague.

We've just come back and loved it. Fantastic architechture everywhere you look. Really enjoyed Budapest too, but Prague did have the edge.
Delighted to hear you enjoyed Prague :) Love the magic and beauty so much we visit again next month. Tell us all the gossip totp!!! Hope to fit in Krakow before Christmas if the funds permit!! Snow, Christmas shopping and warm wine sound good!! Look forward to your report :D
Thanks Coininban!

We're going back in November! The weather was so very hot whilst we were there - 95f. And very crowded. I'm looking forward to going back and seeing a bit more in the cooler and hopefully, not quite so busy Winter months!

We took a tour on our first day, which picked us up from our hotel. Did the usual areas and also had a 45 minute guided walking tour of the Castle and St Vitus and the grounds. Couldn't get over how cheap the food and drink was, in one lovely pavement Italian restaurant we only paid £15.00 for 4 main courses, a bottle of wine, and about 4 soft drinks!

Really loved the architecture and history, stayed in a good hotel too, well located, the Holiday Inn Express, Prague City Centre.

Krakow sounds great, that's on my list, funds permitting me too!

Have a great time in Prague next month Coininban :wave
Definitely Prague, we just got back from Budapest, the city is very beautiful and lovely to walk around in, it just didnt seem to have the same atmosphere as Prague, I wasnt too impressed with the standard of bars/restaurants either in comparison.

Prague it is for me.

Cheers
We've been to Prague (several times) and Budpapest. Budapest is well worth seeing but for me too, Prague has the edge and I will return. We have visited both places between Christmas and New Year, snow is possible but not guaranteed but it will be very cold.

This year we've booked to go to Krakow between Christmas and New Year, so I'm hoping that will be as good.
Glad we all agree! Prague is beautiful under snow. Our previous trip was in Feb 2004 and just amazing, snow falling around the Old Town Square, Jewish Quarter, Castle, just loved it. Haven't felt that sort of magic "wonderland" feeling anywhere else. Going now next month to capture a warmer Praha and also we are lucky to have a local person meet us and show us some real Czech food and drink! Will pass on any good places of course to my good friends here! Krakow sounds like another magical type place so I just have to get there before it becomes more discovered!! We will probably trip over each other at some stage on these city breaks!!
I look forward to hearing about your trip Coininban, don't forget to pass on the tips and recommendations. I'll need them for my next trip there. :D
Thank you for all taking the time to reply. It was much appreciated but in a strange twist we are going to Copenhagen ( Don't ask :!: - a woman is never wrong)

Thanks

Becky67
Totp I promise to post a very detailed guide to a revisit to Praha next month - really looking forward it more than the first time because I appreciate it more than before and have studied up well too!! Enjoy Copenhagen Becky and of course, women are always right!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.