Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Which island
18 Posts
Out of those you have been to I would recomend Skiathos if you liked Kefalonia the most.
Although Skiathos is a beautiful Island, I did find that prices had gone up considerably compared to my last visit to the Island "years previous (bus fare from 50cents and last year it was 1euro 30) one way. The bus is the best way to get around the island,
My favourite Isand is Crete on the western side, we fell in love with Almyrida so much we bought property there and plan to retire there eventually as I'm a fair few years off retirement yet! :D
You always get good value in Crete and there's something on the island for everyone.
We went to Skiathos last year and must say we thought Kafelonia was a lot nicer, im off to santorini in nine weeks
We have been to Thassos 3 years running and absolutely loved it. :love2. The only other Greek island we have been to is Rhodes. This year we are off to Crete :hols
If you loved Kefalonia (as i do!) i would recommend Skopelos. It is a very laid back island. We spent a week there in 2001 and always wanted to return. We have been over for the odd day when staying on Skiathos but decided to return for 2 weeks in June.
There are plenty places to explore and it is very easy to find yourself all alone with no traffic or people!
To say i am looking forward to returning is an understatement! :cheers

John
Would you consider some island hopping? You could fly into Santorini, spend a couple of days there, then head onto Paros for 4-5 day, onto Naxos for a while, and then return to Santorini for another couple of days?

We did Santorini/Naxos last year, and loved our holiday. Our only mistake was not getting to Paros, but we will get there some day. As someone who usually hates ferries, I really enjoyed island hopping.
We have been to Skiathos and really loved it - but it was very expensive for drinks and some restraunts were pricey aswell, much more expensive than Kefalonia.

Thassos however is very close to Skiathos but so much cheeper, it's a really beautiful island and now my favourite after Corfu. The prices of food and drink is very reasonable and it is the best food I've ever had in Greece and we've been to a lot of islands and mainland.

We stayed in Thassos Town, we had such a great holiday the first time we booked the exact same holiday for the following year. Sadly Kosmar went bust and it isn't as easy to get there from the NW now.
This year wil be our 6th year of returning to Skiathos and we still love it - in fact even more now!

So many different beaches to choose from, gorgeous harbour in Town to sit around or wander back through the little streets to find other bars and eateries (often cheaper).

Hire a jeep for a few days and travel over the island to see other hidden parts and glorious little beaches. Take a trip on a boat to one of the neighbouring islands and look at the dolphins on the way.

Oh and just chill out and enjoy!!
If you've narrowed it down to Skiathos, Thassos or Halkidiki, I would go for Thassos. IMHO Skiathos is fine if you want beach, beach and more beach. Never been to Halidiki but try Thassos (we stayed at Hotel Socrates Plaza) and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. BTW we found prices very reasonable there.
Have you looked at Lefkas, its lovely, we have been there twice, its attached to mainland Greece by a bridge so you fly to Preveza and drive over the bridge, Its between Kefalonia and Corfu.
I'm already researching for Summer 2010. The Greek islands are our fave haunts with a long haul thrown in occasionally. As we're off to the DOm Rep this summer, it will definitely be back to one of the islands next year- We get withdrawal symptoms if we miss a year :D We're looking for our ideal place. So far, we've been to Corfu (twice), Kos (twice), Zante, Crete and Santorini. We loved every one of them with Corfu being my favourite. After reading some of the resort reports on here,the islands I think I'm going to decide between next are, Kefalonia, Skiathos or Thassos.

Can anyone who's been to 2 or all 3 of these islands give me a comparison with regards to scenery, beaches and prices of food and drinks. The latter being extremely important as we like to go SC or B&B. Ideally, we would like to fly from either Cardiff or Bristol but I don't think these airports 'do' the islands mentioned.

We're also open to other suggestions but nothing too far off the beaten track as we like a selection of tavernas of an evening and nowhere involving ferry transfers. NOt asking much am I :really

Looking forward to all your suggestions
I was in Skiathos last year and the year before Kafelonia, Skiathos town is lovely but i didnt rate many of the beaches. I would return to kafelonia, better beaches and scenery. Im off to Santorini on 23rd june and have never been before.
Hi,
I'm looking for a fairly green island with soft sandy beaches for 3 adults in July- before school hols. Need something like a village or sights to see for a day trip too. Normally book 4* hotels. Would prefer AI due to cost of euro at mo. Thassos, Halkidiki and Skiathos sound like possibles. Don't want loud area, but picturesque. Looking up to #500 pp all in. Any suggestions please.
Thank very much.
Skiathos has only one main road running the length, okay for a week, some nice beaches but not a lot to do.

Thassos is lovely, not a big island, doesn't take long gettin' round in a car, nice village up in the mountains, we really loved this place.

Halkidiki is very good too, plenty of things to see and not that far if yer wanna go to Thessaloniki, some great historic sights in the city.

I'd go back to the last two. ;)
Ok thanks for that.Don't mind small as want relaxing break with just a bit of interest around.
Do you know of any good hotels? Also looking at Kefalonia. Don't mind HB if its not too dear to eat/drink.
Thanks
On Skiathos you can hire a jeep and go right across the island - leave the one main road running through it and go up over what was dirt tracks but now most have been made into more of a road, and just be amazed at the glorious view back over the island.

Lots of little beaches with hardly any people on can be got to this way.

If you want more than beaches or scenic jeep trips, do a day trip to one of the neighbouring islands, skopolos and Alinisoss (sorry bout spelling)! you will probably see dolphins on the way and it is a relaxing day out. Also there are boat trips around the island - so see the island out looking in kind of!!

evenings can be spent in the bustling port sat people watching, or back into the little bars in the back streets. Alternativly, down the island on some beaches are lovely tavernas where you can watch glorious sun sets. :cheers

If you want some thing more you could always do a trip to Athens.

everyone had their fave place, this is one of mine, but all islands are lovely and whatever you choose I'm sure you will enjoy!

jan
I was in skiathos last year, and the town was fab but i much preferred kafelonia, i wouldnt go back to skiathos but would Kafelonia
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.