Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Sun Island
45 Posts
Just 1 week to go until we return to Sun Island.If I win the Euro Lottery jackpot tonight which currently stands at £125,000,000.We will try and purchase our own island. :)
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is beach towels supplied in the rooms. Were off in a few weeks and need to decide weather to take any or not.

Thanks
yorkieone - beach towels are provided and changed every day for you.

We got back form Sun Island last night.If i could get on the next plane back to Male and then to Sun Island i would.The weather here in Kent is wet and cold.I just dont know how I'm going to face work in the morning.

I think here in the west,we have got it all wrong.Everyone I spoke to is very happy with the life style they lead.I will expand later but finding it hard to type at the moment,rather down right now :(
oh dear! You will be very jetlagged at the moment. Think positive- what a great time of year to get away! I would love to go in February but, unless I change my career, it won't happen! When you feel more up to it- what about a trip report?
hi beach lover
you are right looking out of my window it's raining heavily here in kent, glad your stay was as expected, we are off to the Maldives in just 2 weeks, hope it's warmer when we return :sun

joe
Joe3400 you will have a great time.

Arriving at Heathrow last Saturday night after a week in paradise is tough going.I had problems dealing with it last year so I should know better.My wife and I have both suffered from jet lag.We had to get up at 5am in the morning on the day of our return to the UK.A long day I guess but worth it.

Fiona HT Mod- I would be happy to write a trip report.I will make a start on it..
Hi All,

We are planning a trip to sun island for our honeymoon in march 2007. We are upgrading to a super deluxe room (can't afford a water villa). What i'd like to know is are some of the rooms better than others, if so which are the best? I've seen lots of photo's of the resort and some of the room interiors look a bit tired and dated and others look a lot nicer.

Everything else about the island looks fab and we can't wait to be there!

Cheers

Simon.
scollinson16 --- Best room depends on where you wish to be on the island, If you are up the top near the harbour or down the bottom near the beach bar then you will have around a 20 min walk to pool & restaurant

Most of the nightlife takes place around the main bar (next to pool) so if you don't want a long walk after you have had a few beers mail the island a week before you go and request a room not far from the middle of the Island ------- Room 179 is right next to the main bar (ideal for a quick walk back to the room but can be a little loud if the disco is on - which finishes at 1.00am) Room 178 is the other side of the restaurant which is only a few mins away from the bar and a lot quiter.....
Cheers Daza,

I've downloaded the map of the island so i'll work out where we want to be. How would you describe the standard of the rooms themselves (not the water villas)? Do any look shabbier/older/newer than others for instance? Or am i worrying too much? :?
Hi scollinson16,

We arrived back last night from sun island :cry: :cry:
I can only go by the room we were in (211) but the rooms are great. None of the other rooms looked any different. They're a lot more spacious than they look on some of the photos. I'm not sure what size the beds are either but I'm sure they're triple not double :)
I would imagine with the island being 5+ Star that all the rooms will be upto the same standard --- Obviously the water villas will be larger and have more luxurious fittings than the DELUXE & SUPER DELUXE ROOMS but the upgrade costs over £1000 per person for a 14 night stay.

SUPER DELUXE have the added advantage of a BATH and larger rooms (a fair upgrade for £54 for a 2 week stay)

DELUXE are situated at the harbour end of the island - thus having a longer walk to all amenities.
Hi everyone, im going to sun island this July and was wondering has anyone stayed in a duluxe room and what is it like?Also can you ask for an upgrade when you arrive.
What should I pack for myself and my boyfriend for my trip to Sun Island? Do we need to dress for meal times?
What strength of sun factor do you think i should bring. I,am very fair and burn quite easy, but my partner is quite dark and very rarely burns.
Hi kelkiss1 --- Well what a resort you have chosen.

I see you have booked a Deluxe room (smallest of the lot on the island) these are situated on the far side of the island (between the Water Villas & the Harbour) which is also the furthest away from the restaurant & bars.

Deluxe Room (60 rooms / units)
All the Deluxe rooms (20.63 m2 / 222.04 sqft) are with air-conditioning, hot & cold desalinated water, hair dryer, veranda, shower, mini bar (NOT FREE), electronic safe, Satellite TV with in-house movies (FREE IF ON ALL INCLUSIVE BASIS) and internet access. IDD Telephones in room with voice mail facility.

Super Deluxe Room (218 rooms / units)
All Super Deluxe rooms are in blocks of two (25.33 m2 / 272.62 sqft) with air-conditioning, en suite bath facilities with hot & cold desalinated water, bidet, bath tub, hair dryer, veranda, open shower, mini bar, electronic safe, satellite TV with in-house movies and internet access. IDD Telephones both in room and toilet with voice mail facility.

Basically the SUPER DELUXE rooms have the added advantage of a Bath & Outdoor Shower and are also slightly larger than the deluxe rooms.

If I was you, go for the upgrade..... Cost is £7 per person per night (unsure how much it will be to upgrade at resort, probably cheaper)
You might have to stop the 1st night in your allocated room - but I am sure they will try and accomodate you..

You could always e-mail them and give them your surnames (they get the customer logs 1 week before you arrive) request a room upgrade and it will be added onto the bill at the end of your holiday (that way it will save unpacking and moving rooms once there)

====================================

I burn easy like yourself and find that I have to use Factor 30 suncream (the sun at Sun Island is VERY POWERFULL and I burned in just 10 minutes using Factor 15)

Dress code is casual -- Shorts and T-shirt will do for mealtimes (Swimwear has to be covered up - except at Beach Bar), or you can if you wish dress up (would give high heels a miss though) take plenty of lightweight clothing as it is very hot and humid (even at night - the temperature rarly drops below 29-30 degress) July can be a little hit & miss with the weather as it is in the middle of the raining season - but they only last a few minutes and the rain dries up quickly.

I just hope that the football has finished before you go as otherwise they cancel most of the nightly entertainment with all the cultural shows and live bands, this gives you some idea of what the locals live like.

Hope you have a great time and don't forget to report back ....... Me & the missus are off again in October for our 3rd trip (can't wait)

If ya need any more info - just ask away..
  • Edited by Daza 2006-06-27 22:43:03
Thanks for that Daza, very helpful. Think i'll wait till I get there before i upgrade. Daza what accom do you stay in when you go.
I have always stopped in Superior Deluxe as the extra charged for the room was quite minimal for the extra space & facilities gained..

Price comparisons for room supplements (as quoted on thomascook website) for 2 weeks:

DELUXE -- NO EXTRA CHARGE

SUPER DELUXE -- £168.00 (equal to £6 per person per night)

WATER BUNGALOW -- £2,268.00 (equal to £81 per person per night)
Just in the process of getting availability for Sun island for Feb 2007.This will be our 3rd visit in row to Sun island if we decide to go.
I was just thinking perhaps it was time to visit another island of a similar standard,but knowing how good it is at Sun Island I'm just a tad reluctant to try any where else now. :)
Our winter breaks to some where hot to escape the UK winter for a week is a must..........
The Maldives does it for us......
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.