UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
There are lots of caravan sites in Whitley bay and I think some are owned by Haven.
Its a fairly quiet resort these days but you can visit nearby Tynemouth and the Priory there or South Shields south of the river.
My family swim in the sea at the resort of Cullercoats next door to Whitley bay as there is a safe sheltered harbour.
As for castles you are spoilt for choice as the whole of the Northumberland coast has some impressive ones.
Bamborough and Lindisfarne on Holy Island are 2 good ones to visit.
The beaches at Whitley bay are beautiful and are wide expanses of sand.
Further up the coast there are many beautiful sandy beaches with sand dunes.
I would send for the Tourist Information guide for 2010 which will have all the self catering caravans ,cottages etc available.
Thanks JT.

I wanted some first hand experience as I had read a mixture of reviews over the web ranging from the "pleasant and nice" to the "unruly mobs of teenagers prowling the streets and making lots of noise" / "don't go there" complaints.

I have already asked for the tourist guide you mention so hopefully that will give more information.

As for accommodation I was not really after holiday parks like Haven/Park Resorts but rather an independent self catering flat or something of that sort.

If anything else comes to mind do post again and let me know.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about.

Thanks again.

:cheers
I live near Whitley Bay and it used to be a very busy pleasant resort but in recent years the ice rink and the Spanish City( rides etc) closed.
Theres a small shopping centre in the main part of town but it doesnt have a wide variety of shops. There is one street that is almost all charity shops.
I dont know about the evenings regarding the youths but I havent heard of any disturbances on our local news.
We visit when my family come as the beach is lovely but South Shields on the south of the river seems to have more going for it nowadays.
The Northumberland coast is spectacular and so is the countryside inland so when you get the Tourist Guide there may be a cottage that appeals to you.
I would probably go somewhere further up the coast as there are lovely small fishing villages.
Have you looked on Google earth at the area?
Hi JT

You say the ice rink has closed but I'm confused. :que

Isn't this the rink >>

http://www.whitleybayicerink.co.uk/
:whoops Sorry for that.
It must be a new rink or the very old one must have been renovated :que
I must go and have a look on my next visit!
;) Just so I know.

We've decided to use Cullercoats bay as a base. All booked now. Seems to be more there and accessible to other places.

We will be visiting Whitley bay and other places round and about.

Thanks for your tips.
I forgot to say in the summer months South Shields have free music concerts in the park on Sunday afternoons.
Over the last few years we have seen the Hollies,Animals,Troggs,10cc,the Blockheads and Dave Berry as well as tribute bands.
Golden oldies I know but its a lovely day out. :rofl
Yes, I saw that. They are called Sunday Spectaculars and run through June, July and August, I think.

One of the things we intend to go to.

By the way, what's the best way for us to go over the water with the car? The toll tunnel seems to be a little far away. Are there bridges?

Cheers.
If you drive to North Shields and park your car there,you can get the ferry across the river and can either walk to the park or get the bus at the ferry landing to take you to the park.
When the Mouth of the Tyne festival is on in July the buses are free so maybe when the summer concerts are on they are free too. :tup The nearest bridge is at Newcastle or you could get the Metro from Cullercoats to South Shields.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.