DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
Re: XcapeWithUs
56 Posts
Philly,
If you haven't already done so, ask your hotel to e-mail you confirmation that your booking has been cancelled; this should serve as proof to your credit card company in the event that Xcapewithus don't get round to notifying you and may save a little time in recovering your money.
Don't know about anyone else, but I haven't received the promised e-mail from Xcape as yet. I'd suggest that anyone hoping to reclaim money from credit card companies take a screen grab of their online message, whilst it's still showing,to send as evidence that Xcape have ceased trading.
i can now access my booking records and the home page has been updated with:

We regret to inform you that XcapeWithUs Ltd has ceased trading as of the 30th April 2009.

Due to the current economic climate XcapeWithUs has been unable to continue trading. The downturn in the travel industry alongside the declining value of the £GBP has sadly made it impossible for us to carry on.

We would like to thank all of our customers for their support and wish to assist you where possible.

Subject to the advice set out below you should make alternative arrangements for your accommodation.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
Please contact your accommodation provider directly to check that your booking will still be honoured by sending an email to customersupport@xcapewithus.com

PAYMENT BY CREDIT CARD or VISA DEBIT:
If the provider confirms that the booking will not be honoured, and your booking was made with a Mastercard or Visa credit card or a Visa Debit card, you will need to contact your card issuer for a refund. Please note that your card issuer will require proof that the booking will not be honoured.

PAYMENT BY DEBIT CARD or BANK TRANSFER:
If you have paid by Maestro, Switch, Solo or bank transfer we suggest that you check your travel insurance policy to see if you can make a claim.

If you are unable to reclaim your money through your travel insurance then please send an email to claims@xcapewithus.com (with the subject line: 'Xcape With Us Claim'), please include your reference number. There is little likelihood of there being sufficient funds to enable these claims to be met.

i presume this is what the email would have said...

quite annoyed, my '5 star' travel insurance doesn't cover for when companies cease trading... glad it's 'only' £47 deposit i've lost - paid on maestro so no cover...

MaFt
so,
my booking is now showing as "booking not honoured".
no e-mail from xcapewithus.
looks like i'll just have to bite the bullet and pay again.
my bank think i should be ok for a refund, but how long that will take is anybodies guess.
i'm waiting for the hotel to get back to me to confirm my holiday is gone, and hoping they will give me a good price to keep my booking.
just a quick update
got e-mail back from the hotel saying all bookings by xcape were cancelled. i tried to book the rooms direct but as per usual, HTOP's direct prices are ridiculously high.
i got rebooked with alpharooms having to pay £23 more per person than i'd originally paid.
i have sent copies of all the screenshots i have to the bank today and am praying that they will now pay me back the original money that i spent on my credit card.
I am so mad I cannot believe what has happened. I decided that I would have a look on xcapewithus today to see that they are gone belly up!!!!
Due to fly next friday 15th so thankfully only had accomadation booked with them. I rang hotel in Algarve and they told me my room had been cancelled thankfully they still had a room but if I did not look at the site I would never have known until next friday morning. So I am hoping that my credit card company will honour the payment of €650
:rage :rage :rage
The Nationwide are certainly on the ball, bless 'em !! I initiated my Section 75 claim on the 1st of May and have today received confirmation from them that my account has been credited with the £139 deposit. The hotel has offered to take my booking direct at the same price charged by Xcapewithus, so the summer holiday is back on course after yet another hiccup. :D
just got a letter from my bank today and they have credited the money back to my credit card -subject to the usual proviso that they may claim it back,- so i'm well happy.
just as an aside, i got cashback through my employer for all my trips with xcape (including this one), and that has not been affected; and i rebooked through alpharooms, again with cashback through my employer, so i have at least got something for my trouble.
roll on wednesday and 6 days in sunny malgrat :sun2 .
hi i would like to give you folks out there my holiday experiance, my daughter took us on holiday a thankyou for organizing her wedding back in September 2007.
we traveled to Cyprus on the 5th of May 2009

she booked our hotel with xcapewithus she had no emails from this company, she printed out our voucher thought nothing of the HORROR THAT WAS TO FOLLOW
when we arrived at the hotel we were booked in givin our keys and got bands put on our wrists (as it was all inclusive), before we made it to the rooms a member of the hotel came to us and told us the room was not paid for the company xcapewithus had gone bust.
it just got worse the hotel was going to charge us 1700 euro nearly £600 more than xcapewithus had charged, we managed to get money together to stay at the hotel for 1 night
in the morning a brilliant thomson rep helped us get booked in to the accomodation where my daughter got married it was self catering but we were just pleased to be back there where we knew the staff and felt safe.
my daughter paid xcapewithus with her switch card we cant get our money back its an experience i would not like to happen to any one out there.
we have emailed them loads and we just getting ignored !!!!!!!!!!
:( andrea
We just found out last Thursday that Xcapewithus had ceased trading and we were due to fly to Malaga on the Friday. We discovered it by accident when my friend decided to reprint the hotel voucher and it said it wasn't honoured. Unfortunately I had also booked another weekend break with them to Newcastle in June and, yes, it wasn't honoured either. I paid by Maestro because they charged more for using a credit card. It was almost £500 in total. Had a look at my M&S travel insurance but I don't think it will cover a refund either. Have copied the details and posted it to them anyway. Luckily we were able to rebook the rooms in Malaga direct with the hotel. Got back late last night. We did enjoy our break but it has certainly cost us dearly. You live and learn. I'm now trying to rebook the Newcastle hotel but they want an extra £60 a night. They said Xcape had cancelled the booking on 5th May. It really does make you mad.
Gail
Hi, can anyone help? I booked my hotel with xcapewithus.com we have already paid a deposit my debit card of £161 which is looking doubtful we will get back.

However, the final balance of around £1000 is due to be taken out of my debit card this week. The bank have said they cannot stop the payment going out. As we didnt pay by credit card we wont be able to claim it back!

Has this happened to anyone else? did the rest of the money go out of the bank? I am really hoping that this money does not go out of my account!!!
I would have thought that speaking to your bank and giving instructions to close your account immediately would be an excellent way to stop funds being withdrawn. Ask your bank manager if this is your only recourse or does he actually want to help you and retain your business.
I agree take the money out and close the account if you are in a position too, if you have a lot of DD's and SO's set up it may be difficult, but telling them this is your intention may actually morivate them to do something. Its ridiculous that you should have to bay out 1K to a company that has gone bust.
Have booked this time with hotels4u.com,and got a very good price.They have apparantly been taken over by Thomas Cook,so hopefully this is good news.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.