General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
usually start the week we go adding things during the week as i tick them off list. my sis does it the night before she goes :yikes way to late for me. xphx
:rofl I like it sarah,
I thought I was bad. We go 4 weeks today and have bought the clothes, swimwear, sandals, jewellery, suncreams etc with just the odd toiletry item left to get. I will be throwing the swimwear, towels, bags etc into the case with about a week to go and then putting the rest in about 3 days before. Anything that creases easily will be left until the afternoon before we go. I like it to be all done and dusted before the night before as that is my time for beautifying and relaxing :D
4 weeks tomorrow here, and like shirley everything is bought already. I will be buying all my toiletries in the airport this year hough, as I only have 15kgs weight allowance. All the stuff I needed from Boots, I've had for months, as my sister is a manageress and gets discount. I sent her a list and when my mum went to see her, she brought the stuff back. I'll get the cases out around a week before, and over that week I'll put in towels, swimwear, underwear etc. I'll also pack the hand luggage. The actual clothes won't go in until the day before - possibly 2 days
hi all......in the past when the lads were young (4 of them) ...and I had to basically buy them all new tshirts ect every year because they were growing....I bought stuff when I saw it ....and put it aside for the following years hols in thier cases ...along with whatever things that Id decided to keep... and pass down from the older one from the previous year....so once one of them had all they needed in their case I ironed it all ....put the luggage straps and locks on....and thought thats that one done.

So it wasnt unusual when we were going in sept or oct for me to have 4 of our 6 cases packed by June or even earlier....then mine and hubbys done except for stuff cant go in till last minute 4weeks before we go....I have always worked full time....and the time used to fly past ....one of my lads has aspergers and I was always worrying incase things went wrong....I always felt easier once the kids cases were finnished....6 cases are hard going if they get left till last minute and things happen and you are struggling to find the time to do them......my friends used to laugh when in may or june Id say " can relax now kids cases are packed "

This year there are 2 weeks to go....and there are only 2 lads with us now....the youngest and hubbies are packed...I have been on nights all weekend....or would be ironing and packing the eldest lads case today ( everything he is taking is in it ....it just wants ironing and repacking )...I will do it tommorrow.

My case has the clothes I know fit me and I want to take already in it....just need to whittle it down as will be too heavy ....try on some other clothes didnt fit me a few months ago...and what fits now will also be considered for inclusion in my 20kgs....all my sun cream deodorants ect are in the case...........so later this week I will get my case ironed and packed too......so next week I have time to sport any problems out that crop up.

Last monday ( 3weeks to go ) I was just finnishing off the first case....putting the luggage straps on...my lad with aspergers came in....
he said " how long before we go now"
I said " 3 weeks today "
he said " how many cases have you packed
" I said " one "
he said " how many have you left to pack "
I said " 3 "
he said " you best get a move on then ...your well behind schedual "
:rofl :rofl :rofl ......he was panicking as he is used to it all being done months before.
Then hubby came in and said " your well behind this year arent you" think he read my mind as he then said " but your doing brilliant "
tweetie
19 days to go! will start to pack in approx 17 days :D
:rofl Aww Bless Tweetie. I like to be organised but you beat me hands down. I do lists. I have the toiletry bag list, the medicine bag list, then suitcase case list. As I put each item in I add it to list then tick it........... :rofl
Mine is ages away, but I've already thrown some randoms into my case I'm not going to need.
I don't know if it's a man thing or what but all the things I need to pack I'll still be wearing up to the day we go! :D
I mean so far the summer here in the uk has been very good so I've been wearing shorts all the time and nice shirts! Exactly what I'll be taking away! Even my flip flops are getting worn about the house! We go on a tuesday so packing will probably be done on the monday!
Or if you're as bad as my husband Chivas, you'll be wearing your packing :rofl My hubby takes next to nothing then tends to wear the same stuff :duh We got him some new shorts/t shirts this year and they all came back unworn. He's left them in the case for 'next year' :duh
hi Glynis....me too with the lists....not so much now.....but I am obsessed about everything matching....and on holiday it can be hard going trying to sort out clothes for 4 very impatient to be off boys of a morning or when changing to go out.....5 if I include hubby who joins the queu. :rofl ..

So my solution was to pack all thier cloths in matching sets....a tshirt , shorts, underpants,and socks...so when needed I just took one set of top of pile......worked a treat....
Children being what they are dont manage to get through the day in one set of clothes....so I packed 2 sets each for each day ....OK as little tshirts ect dont weigh that much...and I hate having to do washing when on hols....dont mind a few bits but not lots of it..

As I went along Id match things up in the case......till in the end I would need certain colour tshirt or socks or shorts to make a set up......so I had a list of what was needed in each case....and one in my purse listing what I needed tshirt/shorts/socks ...and the size and colour for each item....and would use the list when out shopping especially when had completed thier cases nearly....so I didnt land up with stuff I wouldnt take as they didnt match anything else...

They are all grown up now and only 2 boys and hubby to worry about

I still do it for hubby and my lad with aspergers.....who now sorts himself ....as long as they are folded in sets he just takes the top one.......my other lad now an independant "I 'll wear what I think teenager" sorts himself.....I buy him all the stuff he wants.....then pack it in 2 piles...tshirts one side of case and pants and shirts on the other....it seems all the years of my packing in matching sets have given him a good sense of what goes with what....as he always looks fine

Old habits die hard.....and I still do the case lists ....tweetie

:offtop HELP
ps... Glynis have you seen my post about not being able to log in.....have to go the forgotten password route....and am now worried incase it has a limit on how many times you can use it....tried sending message via admin link but wont let me...says errors occur
i fly out on the 5th aug (thurs) il pack the weekend before i fly,just got some last bits to get,sun oils,bikinis 3 of em, toiltries, beach towel, and few items of clothing still not got my travel insurance although I do that a week before I go, all I need to do now is get in the loft and get the case down along with my flipflops and beach bag there up in the loft aswell I get stressed packing as I dont wanna go over my allowance of 20kgs so I will weigh the case before and after...cant wait now im sooo excited to get away as my hayfever is driving me up the wall and as soon as Im in spain it goes away. :sun2
Im the same have a list of toilitries list Clothes and shoes List, list of medical stuff ( Dyralite etc) All on an excel spreadsheet, I always do lists its alot easier and tick off as I pack.. :sun2
Or if you're as bad as my husband Chivas, you'll be wearing your packing

lol, Funny thing is Glynis we went away one year with some friends and my mate kept on buying these novalty lighters, a roaring lion, skull etc and on the last day of the holiday we were at Alcudia market and he saw a massive lighter in the shape of the Titanic! He had a big bust up with his girlfriend cos he wanted to buy it and she said they had no room in the case so he threatened to wear every item of clothing home on the plane just so he could have this lighter. In the end he gave up as it was about 30 quid! :D
i go monday 26 july, the weeks leading up i get everything out we need to take, put it in the case so that nobody wears any of it then on the saturday or sunday get everything out, iron it if needed then hubby repacks it, bits of everybodys in each case, just in case 1 goes missing :)
I've got 25 days to go and just decided to see if I had all my toiletries, suncreams and medications. I'm glad I checked as I was nearly out of Avon SSS :duh so I've just ordered some. Otherwise, I just need some immodium and a new tube of toothpaste.
We go on a Monday this year, so hubby will be allowed to wear what he wants until the Tuesday before, when I will do the last holiday wash. All our underwear will be new, so will be the first things in the case. I once took a list on holidays which had all the outfits written on eg white skirt & blue flowered top, silver earrings, blue bracelet :rofl I was fed up of landing up with two days to go and everything that was unworn didn't match :duh Glad to say that I don't do that anymore, although I lay the clothes out on the bed in matching sets and put the jewellery on top of it :tongue
I usually do our packing the weekend before we go.

I never write a list and so far have never forgotten anything!

I really dislike packing it's always a relief when it's all done and weighed although we never reach our weight limit anymore I think over the years we have learnt to pack light!
I usually pack the day (or night) before we go. Last year finished packing for the 4 of us at 12.30 am and was being picked up at 2.30 :yikes Was a bit of a nightmare, hoping to be a bit more organised this year but I still won't start putting stuff in cases til the day before. Silly question, but don't your clothes get more creased packing weeks before? And don't you start worrying if you've packed everything and then have to rummage through messing everything up to check? And where do you put the cases whilst they are in the process of being packed? We just don't have the room for them to be left around for any length of time.
If we are not leaving till later on in the day, I pack in the morning. I do have a general list just incase I miss anything. I can't be bothered starting before then- besides which, all the stress of last minute packing tires me out and I can sleep in the plane :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.