Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Ha, so now not only do I have to worry about the shirts, also now the possibillity of an airport blockage and Brittish Airways also announced today that flight crew will be going on strike in May-june . we fly out on the 16th June so i am now wondering what else will pop up. i
The Red Shirts have publicly stated they will not blockade airports.

However that means little if push comes to shove I guess. However, it is unlikely. I would think you are at greater risk from BA strikers and volcanic ash.

Latest update we have.

"We would like to update you on the latest developments in Bangkok regarding the ongoing anti-government protests.

The red shirt protesters continue their sit-in protest around Ratchaprasong intersection where traffic is blocked and access is limited to major department stores. These include Siam Discovery Center / Siam Center / Paragon and Gaysorn.

Hotels located in Ratchaprasong are closed for business including Holiday Inn, Four Seasons, Hyatt Erawan and Intercontinental, who announced that they are not accepting new bookings until 16th May 2010.

Some red-shirt protesters continue to demonstrate at Sala Daeng Intersection near the Lumpini Park and King Rama VI statute. Reinforcements of troops and police are now stationed at the Sala Daeng intersection.

Sadly, there were separate attacks on police and soldiers on Friday night and Saturday early morning, which resulted in the deaths of 2 policeman near Lumpini Park and Silom Road areas. A number of injuries to soldiers and civilians were sustained during these incidents.

The positive news is that since the Prime Minister presented his "5 point reconciliation road map", the red shirt leaders are holding meetings seem willing to seriously consider this offer. However, a final official statement from the red shirts, with a date to end the protests, is expected shortly. The government plan will include a new general election on November 14th, which means that the government has to be dissolved 45 days in advance.

Meanwhile the BTS (sky train) and the MRT (subway) are back to their normal schedule and operating from as usually from 6am until 12pm.

All tourist attractions around the capital and around Thailand are operating as normal. We can assure you that your clients will not be taken to the area where the protesters are based. "
I'm inclined to agree with travelling Sam. I don't think anyone can say for sure if the protestors will try to blockade the airport again but I don't think it will be as easy for them in the future. Last time it seemed that the police were just being far too laid back in letting the blockade happen. I think they (the police) would be much more proactive in stopping the protest if the airport was to be targeted. Only my opinion of course.
Incidently I was one of those stranded in Nov 2008, it didn't really bother me as I was able to keep my hotel room and being retired I didn't have to get home by a certain date. It did of course cost me a fair amount for the extra nights but I was one of the lucky ones who managed to get home after only a few days delay.

Judith
We're due to fly out from Glasgow with Emirates on 1st June (ash permitting)

It was yellow shirts who did the airport last time wasn't it?

Last time Emirates allowed a free departure change from Singapore or Kuala Lumpur instead of Bangkok.
You can get back to either of those from Surat Thani by Airasia......so it's possible although a long drive if you're desperate.
Probably wont happen.....but you can keep your eye on the news and the availability just in case.
There have been quite a few soldiers / armoured vehicles stations close to the airport for the past month. You'll see them when you leave the terminal. This is a not very subtle or convincing way to reassure visitors that they are safe and there's nothing to worry about.

But if you're in Glasgow then more danger of volcanic ash screwing up your holiday plans than Bangkok Airport being closed.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.