Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
David HT Mod wrote:
Even the suggestion of this actually working was laughed out of court and not proven!

Criminal proceedings are still ongoing and much of the detail of the alleged terror plot has never been disclosed outwith the court, as there are media restrictions on what can actually be reported.

However, we should bear in mind that these imminent hand luggage restrictions in Turkey were introduced at UK and EU airports a few years ago because of what was perceived as a very serious and credible threat to aviation security. We should perhaps be thankful that Turkey is now catching up with the rest of Europe on these security measures, which appear to have been accepted reasonably well in other countries, even if they do result in some inconvenience or additional expense for airside drinks.

It's a case of weighing up the pros and the cons, and hopefully most travellers will recognise that security is paramount. Passengers should now be subject to the same security restrictions on their homeward flights from Turkey, as they have been on their outward flights from the UK for the last few years.

I appreciate that some holidaymakers may have issues with the prices at Turkish airports and I have no idea how those compare with prices at UK airports. However, these hand luggage restrictions should be regarded as a security issue rather than a revenue issue, and increased security often comes at a price.

David :wave
Have a read of this below
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/13/war-on-moisture-char.html
Just exactly what does that tell us rw46 .That there was not enough evidence to convict the guy in Pakistan ,doesn't tell us it did not happen or was not a real threat .As i have said before i am glad that these security restrictions are being implemented in Turkish airports ,it was about time .
caretta,

The original poster was more concerned with transitting through Dalaman airport which is well known for it's extoirtionate pricing. Dalaman is not government owned like the other airports it Turkey, it's a public - private partnership and prices are set accordingly. For example, a burger and chips from Burger king will set you back over 21 lira. That's about £9 at the moment, double what you would normally pay. I think a pint is about 18 lira from memory, water about 10 lira. We have a topic dedicated to Dalaman Airport. Other airports in Turkey aren't as pricey. I still welcome the move though.

Darren
caretta wrote:
We recently returned from a family holiday and were in the airports of Antalya, Istanbul, London Heathrow, and Miami...out of all these airports only the Miami airport had reasonable prices for food and drink..for example burger king was the same price as outside of the airport...this is a world wide situation and as far as any of the airports I have visited most are expensive..this holds true of Zurich and Frankfurt as well..so why would the airports in Turkey be any different..???

Also one thing we noticed while travelling as you went through the many security checks ONLY in Istanbul were we given plastic bags for our feet once we had to take our shoes off...going through security...

and in Heathrow we had to dispose of all liquids like water etc...or put the medications etc into plastic bags...

so I think that for security this is good and I would expect nothing less from the turkish airports when it comes to security just like all of the european and international airports..

Its rubbish to say that London airports (not sure about the rest of the UK) dont have reasonable value meals. The wetherspoons at Gatwick charges similar to all wetherspoons and as Karen says a Boots meal deal is more or less the same price as any of the 100's of Boots on the high street here. There are many places that may just add a small premium to the high street.

There really is no comparison at all to the 100 % mark up seen at Dalaman.

I suppose bringing the airports in line is a further step towards Turkey trying to get into the EU.
A small Cornetto at Dalaman in October was £7! Bottles of water were £3.50.A Macdonalds meal,which I dont eat here,was £8.25!
I am going to Bodrum this year and as its a night flight I will just go to sleep. :rofl
LOL Jay I would pay 8.25 not to have to eat a Mcdonalds. :rofl
All Turkish Airports are expensive.Antalya airport is now owned by ICF who just happen to own Franfurt airport.A half litre of Beer is 13TL. I don't know about the cost of meals as we have never eaten at the airport.As from last week, All Turkish Airports have introduced the same rules as the EU. re Liquids.All are confiscated so no more taking your own Beer and that includes water for all you Ladies that take Gin or Voda in a water bottle.We leave next Thursday for our Hols from Antalya so anything new I will update on our return.

Ian
When we were at Dalaman in June 2007 my hubby had 25TL left so bought 4 ice cream cornets for us and our friends from MacDonalds.These are 59p here but it cost him 24TL! Almost a tenner. :yikes
I think we are getting way off topic here .I thought we were discussing the security precautions ,not the prices at the airports which has all been discussed before and already has a thread dedicated to it . :que
I would rather be safe than sorry. Ok, I wont want to pay the ridiculous Dalaman prices, but if needs must etc.

I agree its about time Turkey came into line with the EU policies, better late than never.
Turkey is not in the Eu, And certainly does not need to adhere to Eu policies whatsoever presently, Most likely the Eu has asked for this to be applied to Turkey also as to another consideration for Eu entry.
take fluids now through dalaman :(
that means im gong to be stung for nearly 30pound again for mc donalds or about 3 pound for a bottle of water :duh
i love dalaman
bluepeterno1 wrote:
I think we are getting way off topic here .I thought we were discussing the security precautions ,not the prices at the airports which has all been discussed before and already has a thread dedicated to it .

:tup I posted the link to the Dalaman Airport thread towards the top of the page. It's not only Turkey that's bringing these regulations in, several other countries who serve european destinations are as well. The security services have probably assessed the threat and decided to introduced the hightened security, and may well be a condition of entry.

Darren
I think it was ridiculous that they didn't have the same restrictions as the UK anyway. What is the point of having restrictions going out and not coming back.
if people do not pay the prices and just do without for a few hours what will happen to the businesses in the airports they will have to lower prices or just go out of business. people who pay the prices are at fault for fuelling the demand... i know i dont pay in the airports. before leaving side last year i went out for a meal way cheaper .
Here's another way in doing this at Dalaman Airport which wont be as expensive as buying inside the terminal building.
Walk past security then check in your luggage, At the back at the windows their are stairs/escalator that lead you down to Arrivals walk through the sliding doors and your outside again walk over the bridge as if you were going to your Transfer and at the bottom of the bridge their is a cafe on your left hand side, Its nowhere near as expensive as it is inside, To get back up to security again walk back over the bridge and head to your left where you will see an escalator that takes you back to security. :wave:
even Gatwick you can get a boots meal deal for £3.50

I paid that for 1 large cup of coffee in heathrow...lol...in Istanbul we paid 9.25 liras for a cup of coffee and 2 small bottles of waters ( 3.77182 GBP )...I too like the others do not go to the airport hungry we always eat before we leave..but if we have to have something you just have to pay the prices..laws of supply and demand I guess...

bluepeterno1 wrote:
I think we are getting way off topic here .I thought we were discussing the security precautions ,not the prices at the airports which has all been discussed before and already has a thread dedicated to it .

I agree and I think it is about time that all airports adapt this extra security..and I have no problem with it...it is for everyones safety..
Was just wondering does anyone know for certain if like Antalya or Bodrum airport is it the first security just inside the doors that the restrictions start or the second security check before departures.

Angie.
I agree its necessary for our own protection. It is not only the EU who have put these restrictions in place. We went to the Gambia a couple of weeks ago, and the country is a lot less geared up to tourism than Turkey, the airport although not all that old, does feel very old-fashioned. However they are obviously very aware of the terrorist danger because we were surprised to find that the security measures are in place there for liquids the same as in the UK.
It is such a shame that Dalaman airport is so expensive, you see very few people buying food and drink there, if only they reduced the prices they would get a lot more custom. We usually make it part of our holiday to have a meal at an airport for something to do while waiting, but we wouldn't at Dalaman.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.