Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Not sure about the topic title Brian, but this is Turkey now introducing hand luggage restrictions similar to those which have been in force at UK and EU airports for the last few years.

David :wave
I could not see how they could cash in but now I do. How many of us take water, soft drinks through because it is so expensive. Not anymore we will have to pay the airports outrageous prices or go thirsty. God help people with children or a serious delay.
Thank you neknit. I travel with my family and normally take enough water/juice to last my time in Dalaman airport,as most people I have seen do.Buying your drinks at Migros compared to Dalaman airport will make a big difference.
Does anyone know where I can buy 10x100ml bottles? :rofl
I refuse to pay the inflated prices at the Turkish airports. :really
While I can understand your concerns big brian, and I know where you are coming from as I'm a regular through Dalaman as well. The decision to increase airport security in line with other EU members has nothing to do with specific Turkish airports, and certainly not for the reason of cashing in. It's about consistancy across europe and protecting travelers. I'm actually surprised it's taken them this long to come in line. It's only the same airport security regulation we've had in place since September 2006. I think the title of your post is a little misleading. We all know Dalaman is rediculously expensive, and I've not bought anything from the airport for about 5 years because of it. But these measures are needed unfortunately due to the mindless idiots that caused the security alerts.

Darren
Dazbo i agreer to but with 2 small children in tow, aged 4 & 7 we will have to ensure we save a good amount for our trip home whereas we took food and drinks with us before. Would rather be secure though :(
Only a matter of time before this happened ,and i for one am really happy that it has .People took it for granted that the only planes at risk were flying from British airports .The same planes have to fly back to where they left and that always made them a terrorist target .Turkish airports are great in the fact that all luggage is scanned on entry to them ,but that never included the liquids which you could carry through in any quantity ,always seemed to me as a bit stupid as you see people carrying it on to the planes straight from the bus . I know it will encourage the food outlets at the airport to raise their prices ,but i will either budget for that or just dont buy anything .

Bluepeterno1
Just put your water in your case go through the 1st security at the door and see what happens if you get through remove it before going to check inn, Note at Dalaman their is no security at Passport control, Then before you go through security the 2nd time bin your liquids inside the Airport terminal building. :)
Now Now rw ,you will be putting ideas into peoples heads ,maybe the wrong type . :yikes
rwb46,

I'm sure this won't be permitted under the new regulations. They're likely to introduce new procedures to ensure your suggestion can't happen. These rules are being intruduced to protect passengers and prevent an aircraft being the subject of terrosrist threats.

Darren
Just remember rw ,not only the planes are at risk , but the terminals are also a secondary target .
Even the suggestion of this actually working was laughed out of court and not proven!
Dalaman : Due to the fact that liquids can be packed in your checked in luggage I do not believe that they will stop you taking liquids into the airport, I'm sure that the point of consification will be at the security check point at the gate unless they move the screening next to passport control like most airports, if they don't move it the duty free will need to be in sealed bags.

We will soon found out from the early travellers

Dave
Dont know why it would be laughed out of court .the plan was to carry different liquids in different bottles and whe they got on the plane go to the toilet and mix them together forming an explosive .Basic chemistry proves that this i possible .I would'nt like to put it to the test .Its not liquids in the luggage they are worried about ,when they are in the hold they cannot get to them,but liquids carriefd on by passengers is a whole different ball game.
Even the suggestion of this actually working was laughed out of court and not proven!

Criminal proceedings are still ongoing and much of the detail of the alleged terror plot has never been disclosed outwith the court, as there are media restrictions on what can actually be reported.

However, we should bear in mind that these imminent hand luggage restrictions in Turkey were introduced at UK and EU airports a few years ago because of what was perceived as a very serious and credible threat to aviation security. We should perhaps be thankful that Turkey is now catching up with the rest of Europe on these security measures, which appear to have been accepted reasonably well in other countries, even if they do result in some inconvenience or additional expense for airside drinks.

It's a case of weighing up the pros and the cons, and hopefully most travellers will recognise that security is paramount. Passengers should now be subject to the same security restrictions on their homeward flights from Turkey, as they have been on their outward flights from the UK for the last few years.

I appreciate that some holidaymakers may have issues with the prices at Turkish airports and I have no idea how those compare with prices at UK airports. However, these hand luggage restrictions should be regarded as a security issue rather than a revenue issue, and increased security often comes at a price.

David :wave
my mother is flying from dalaman to the uk in about 3 wks time so ill let you know what she says unless someone else does this before she does :tup
We recently returned from a family holiday and were in the airports of Antalya, Istanbul, London Heathrow, and Miami...out of all these airports only the Miami airport had reasonable prices for food and drink..for example burger king was the same price as outside of the airport...this is a world wide situation and as far as any of the airports I have visited most are expensive..this holds true of Zurich and Frankfurt as well..so why would the airports in Turkey be any different..???

Also one thing we noticed while travelling as you went through the many security checks ONLY in Istanbul were we given plastic bags for our feet once we had to take our shoes off...going through security...

and in Heathrow we had to dispose of all liquids like water etc...or put the medications etc into plastic bags...

so I think that for security this is good and I would expect nothing less from the turkish airports when it comes to security just like all of the european and international airports..
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about as it seems to me that Turkish airports are only coming into line with the majority of other airports. :que
I am very happy about any steps that are taken to increase security. It is for our safety after all.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.