Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
hassle in marmaris is much less than it was years ago but it does still go on. A find that a polite no usually does the trick. In Icmeler and I am sure the same thing will happen in Marmaris, if bars are seen to be hassling people they are closed down , 1st offence 3 days 2nd offence a week and so on

If you like window shopping you may a bir diappointed, the shops are fabulous and plentiful but as soon as you walk in the assistants are round you immediately. they dont seem to give you time to browse. thats my experience otheres may have different experiences

There are numerous turkish baths in and around the resort and these can be booked by many of those on the front etc, selling boat trips, other trips and its best to go in the first few days to get rid of your dead sking. your tan will then last much longer

I would recommend that you do a boat trip which is a full day out with lunch and is very well priced about £8-£10. The jeep safari is also very good. there are may topics on ths board about these trips

Stewart

I normally go in May and the mossies are not usually a problem. get some Avon skin so soft woodland formula, this keeps them away from me and many others
After having visited many times over the years I found a big difference in July last year when there seemed to be a lot less
hassling. As the previous poster says if the turkish people are found hassling tourists the bar can be closed down for a couple of days. A couple of bars in Armutulan had been closed for this very reason. Waiters will invite you to look at their menus but I am glad to say we didnt feel intimidated at all during our stay. If you don't wish to eat in a particular place usually the waiter will probably ask politely if you would try the restaurant another night.

The month of May is a good time to go. You won't have the piercing heat and it will be so much more comfortable for getting around.

Have a look at http://www.allaboutmarmaris.com. This is a good website and gives you details of the dolmus service and also of the hamam (turkish bath) in Armutulan.
Mandy - to make it easier for you when looking at the website I mentioned, Hamam comes under the heading Services and local bus (dolmus) comes under Miscellaneous.

If you want to use a dolmus then just wave and they will stop anywhere to pick you up and drop you. They run every few minutes and are very cheap to use. Hope this helps a little. Sure you will love Marmaris.
Yes you will be hassled !!!! but we find if we make a joke about it turns into fun instead,
Depends on your tolerance levels, we only ever had a prob once and that was the icecream seller in Marmaris, very aggresive which was a total shock to me as NEVER experienced it before or since, and we have gone to Turkey for years.
Just be polite have a gab get to know them, we get thanked for smiling and being nice and have made some good friends along the way.
The Turks are great people very friendly, dont let worry spoil your hol, let us know how you get on.
The hassle has vitually stopped to what it used to be like and I must say I miss the banter!
If they do ask you into a restaurant you can always say you have eaten.
In Icmeler last year one of the lads outside a restaurant,who we met on a previous visit was fine when we told him we were going elsewhere that night.He said it was very good and he had eaten there.
If you visit the markets,Icmelers is huge. and on a Wednessday it will give you and idea of the prices as most shops sell the same stuff for the same price.Just leave room in your case for the bargains. :rofl
Just booked today for Club Anastasia going 22th May top hotel loads of good places to eat and the hotel staff are out of this world any questions just ask
Mandy, I always find if you just say a polite but firm "no thank you" you wont be pestered. I can't comment on Marmaris sepcifically as I have never styed there but it works everywhere I have been.
The Anastasia is a lovely place,we have had a turkish bath there also,spotless,no complaints.I always go beginning of June and had no problems with mosquitos.Hassle is not as bad as it used to be.
Thankyou all for your replies they have laid any small worries i had to rest! I can relax and look forward to new experiences in turkey! many thanks, mandy & family :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.