Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
We stayed at the Belcekiz Beach in Olu Deniz last July and there were some wasps around when we were eating our evening meals. There weren't hoards of them. The hotel staff would put small mounds of ground coffee on silver foil and set light to it and this was effective in warding them off. The main problem was that there was only one restaurant at this hotel and it was outdoors. I'm sure at Lykia there would be indoor restaurants? We found that after our meal when watching the entertainment or sitting at the outdoor bar the wasps were not around - just attracted by the food I guess. I don't recall seeing any when we ate lunch outdoors either. Hope this helps,

Cazz
i dont remember seeing any wasps when we stayed at lykia world in may to june, the residence restaurant which everyone can use is inside so there wont be any wasps there, i find the worse time for wasps in turkey is oct when there are dying off thats the only time ive been stung. maybe someone that has been in july might know if there are wasps then.
I don't think there is any one place that always attracts wasps, I think it is just one of those things occasionally. I don't recall there being many around in Olu in first two weeks of July. We were bothered hugely by them on our gulet in the first week of September but that's the first time it's been like that in the 5 that I've been on.
hi , we found their to be a few wasps in oludeniz last july in the early evening when eating out so the thing to do was eat out after sunset (830ish) , then their was no problem , the previous three years we went to marmaris and dont think we even saw one , although it has not put us going back to olu this year
I too have a serious wasp phobia (so bad I have had trouble even writing the word) - I can't tell you the lengths I go to to avoid them!
Honestly, there does NOT seem to be any worse a problem with them in Turkey than back here in the UK. I did find on the beach there were a couple flying around the bins, where people had put disposable cups etc. Just make sure you don't sit near any bins and that when you have a drink, don't leave it lying around when you have finished and you will be OK. Honestly!!

Denny
We found them quite 'difficult' in the Belcekic Beach hotel a couple of years ago when we were having our evening meal. Although we dont have a particular phobia of them though, they were a nuisance. The staff bring little saucers of raw coffee and set light to it, it sort of smouldered, the idea is this keeps them away, although I wouldn't say it was 100% effective, it did make a difference.

This was last two weeks of July. We also had them at Lykia in the Marina restaurant, although the advantage with Lykia is that you can eat inside if they bother you. We prefered the Residence restaurant, after the initial novelty of the marina wore off, we weren't bothered with them in there.

Must be a seasonal problem.
Thanks soo much everyone, I feel much better now. I can tolerate a few so looks like my holiday will be phobia free :)

Thanks again, you are all really helpful :)
When I lived in Bodrum I don't remember wasps around much at all. There were a few odd ones hanging round the showers sometimes on the beach (maybe they like water :que ) but there certainly weren't loads of them at any time of the year.
I've been to marmaris about 10 times and have never seen a wasp, I have however seen other flying creatures lol.
I also am terrified of wasps and have seen less in Turkey at the height of summer, than I do at home in England. That said, my son who was only 2 at the time stood on 2 and was stung twice walking on the grass near our pool :(
Whilst on holiday in Marmaris (July 2008) my granddaughter age 10 accidentally stood on a wasp on the first day of our holiday.
It stung her but our very friendly hotelier came to the rescue with the first aid box and dabbed some kind of cream on.

In all my years of visiting Turkey (and many other countries) I have only ever been stung once. Yet one year on the first day of our return I was stung in the back garden whilst hanging the beach towels out to dry.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.