Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
yes surprisingly i'm well aware of turkey not being a village having been several times, however i don't want to spend the first days of my holiday having to get a taxi or dolmus to the nearest supermarket, which is quite far from where we stay, and as we do eat out most of the time, i also don't require much in the way of groceries either, just a few bits and pieces to keep handy--not worth a journey to a supermarket. each to his own eh!!!
there are certain things I still have smuggled into the country...marmite for 1.
Agree with gypsy just bring enough for a couple of days, cereal is expensive here.
Follow the priciple that more luggage space on the way home enables to buy more goodies here. Please will someone explain this to my wife as she still tries to pack the whole wardrobe!
Coffee is the only thing I have ever taken with me to Turkey, simply because I drink loads of it, and it is sooooooo expensive in the Turkish supermarkets for a jar. I take it out of the jar before I pack it in my case, and put it in a sealable freezer bag, double bagged so it doesn't burst and spill out. That way it doesn't weigh anything, it can be packed easily, and I can still make all the cuppas I want on holiday.

I can understand why parents would take cereals and cheese etc for their children to eat, as they are cheap here and I think, very expensive or don't have a similar taste in the supermarkets in Turkey.

Elaine
I normally pack bacon (which is frozen) english cheddar, teabags & coffee thats about it, turkish bacon is not the same, and I agree there bread is the best I have tasted and so fresh, you find in the little wooden cabinets outside the shops normally
I take nothing, l but my friend takes coffee !
i always take teabags sugar,milk,btl water for that first cuppa when unpacking , i take the variety cereal for the kids too, so dont have to worry about getting the few essentials till the next day,
Thanks for all the really helpful replies.
Some people seem surprised that any one would take food on holiday and always eat out, but when you've got growing teenagers,those little in between snacks come in handy.
Also i dont know how far the Babadan is from the nearest supermarket.Any one know?
See you all in Turkey!!
:) :)
I've decided i'm going to take my decaf coffee with me(sad I know) but Idon't suppose I'll be able to get that in Bitez? anyone know?Oh yes & my soya milk too!
Mel.
Fionay,

I'm not sure you can bring cheese back into the UK, I know they don't allow any meat back into the country to protect us from foot and mouth etc so you will probably be unable to buy cheese out there and bring it back. If you live in London you can go to a Turkish Food Centre to buy this cheese.

Karen
I`m not sure if you can bring cheese back as it`s a diary product and Turkey isn`t a european country!
Yelsrud we always take food over with us wherever we go,as you said its handy for snacks when you retuen after a night out also in the afternoon when the children dont want to be dragged around the shops etc for a snack.I intend cooking more this year as well as last time we went to marmaris we had some very disappointing meals,some we had to wait an hour and a half for,by the time we got it the children were full up on drinks.
We did find some very nice eating places as well which we will be visiting this year(if they are still there). 8)
the nearest supermarket to the babdan is the felizia market its about 2 minute walk head toeards the centre which is right at the end of the babdan road and its just along there. small supermarket only englisg thinkg he sells are bisto, heinz beans and hp brown sauce

sarah tokmak
Hello Yelsrud
Babadan has a small shop on site, ok for fresh bread, milk,Bottled water soft drinks etc. Is a little more expensive than the super markets but convenient.They also have a snack bar on site that does breakfasts. Tansas supermarket is about 10min walk away maximum.
Baz
Even when staying in a hotel we always take Marmite and Shreddies for our very fussy 5 yr old!!
I am staying there in August (Babadan Apartments) thanks for all the info, can i just say how could anyone eat a pot noodle :yuck give me the tripe soup anyday
You cannot buy ham in turkey either can you :?:
You can buy ham, but its very expensive.

Elaine
you can get small packs of cheddar slices and whole cheese from migros and even the smaller bakals are now stocking it.(at least they do here in Alanya) its not bad but can't understand why its that important when there is such a variety of food here. you won't starve and think of the fun you'll have when you get home and can eat cheddar cheese again wheee :P
Not a problem to me, I love trying out new things I am often the foot tester, but my other half and daugter are very conservative in their tastes, but from what I have read on here they should have no problem with the food in turkey
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.