Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
If anyone recently returned would like to post a review please do so HERE. :tup

Pippy :)
we have been to this hotel twice it is fab the staff are very friendly the food is top class and the drinks even better if you need to know anything in particular i will do my best to answer
Hi malcolmhelen

Thanks so much for replying. We have booked to go in November, so any tips you have would be great. We have booked an Ocean View room. We looked at hotels in Cuba and Mexico but this one looked really nice. Is there a beach bar to get your all inclusive drinks from? Did you use the beach much and if so, what's it like.
Also is there a cash machine in the hotel? And, my husband is a smoker, so do you know if he will be able to buy cigarettes?

Thanks for any help
Pam
Hi Fred

We stayed at the neighbouring Costa Verde Nov 06 so check out myw ebsit ebelow for links to pictures of the area.
Top trps
All day excursion and cattammaran taking in the Dolphinarium.
Half day self drive speedboats great fun.
Hope the weather is beter for you, we got the worst weather for 25 yeas
Must tip, take loads of mozzie protection and treatment.
Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply and tips. Also thanks for allowing me to look at your photos. They looked fab, especially when it wasn't raining. Was it still warm in November? And do you recommend the Crocks?

Will def take some mozzie stuff.

Did you use the Blau Costa Verde at all, and if so did you think it was ok?

Thanks
Pam
Hi Pam
We didnt use the Blau but our friends room faced in that direction and they could hear the disco in the early hours. The horse riding centre is also just outside the Blau.
The beach/cove is shared by3 hotels the Blau at one end and the Playa Pesquero at the other with the Playa Costa Verde in the Middle.
I would recommend Crocs :) they arre light to pack and great for on the beach and in the sea especially if you are near any rocks.
With regard to the temperature it should be around 80deg in November as a rule.

Nick :smokin PS The majority of tourists to Cuba tend to be Canadian so you will find lots of further advice on the Blau on Tripadisor or Debbies Caribbean.
yes there is a beach bar and also a restaurant on the beach , there is a cash machine just outside the resort but we took cash and changed it at the hotel and yes there is a shop on site which sells ciggarettes the beach is fab the twice we went we bumped into a couple who were on their 7th visit so that shows how nice it is, anymore questions do not be afraid to ask i love talking about this hotel and i cannot wait to book it again
Thanks to both of you for your updates. We are really looking forward to it, even tho' it's a long way off!

Do you know what the food is like, generally, and also the a la carte restaurants?

Also, paying the extra for an ocean view room entitles us to have 'reserved sunbeds round the pool'. Does anyone know how that works?!

Thanks
Pam
the food is fab you would not get better in a 5* restaurant we never had trouble getting sun beds but we went in may both times and it was quiet, the al a cartes are excellent the steak is really good and so is the itallian at lunch time the pizza is the best i have tasted, i think i need to book i really need to go back there now.
Hi malcolmhelen

It's great when you hear good reports about a hotel you have booked, so thanks for all your info.

Which airline did you go with? We have booked First Choice, so hopefully they should be ok.

Was there much entertainment in the hotel, or was it quiet? Also can you walk out to other places or is it a bit isolated?

Thanks
Pam
we also went with first choice we would not fly with anyone else, the entertainment was very good, there is not really anywhere to walk but the taxis are cheap enough but there is not really anywhere to go only the market the beach there is stunning, there is a train which will take you to the market but it does not always come if it is full before reaching the blau.
The Market is at Gudalavaca a small resort town about 5 miles away as been said you can go on the road train but it is probably more convenient to book a taxi who will arrange to pick you up again at a time of your convenience. Don't expect too find any decent shops in the towns its a very poor country the markets are mainly handicraft items. Most of thte resort hotels also have a market at some point in their own grounds.
It's probably still worth visiting Guadaavaca under your own steam it as a very nice beach and some independant beach bars (The one on the video my site in the tropical storm was there)
We stayed at the Playa Pesquero at the other end of the beach.

Towards the end of the holiday I did venture up to the Blau end a few times as the snorkelling is better up there. The sand is also better than the PP end.
The catamaran/dolphin trip was good value as it was on special offer while we were there. The day trip to the cigar factory/Holguin was an eye opener, particularly for the black market entrepeneur who was trying to flog a few cigars cheap, but due to mistranslations and confusions ended up with a full coachload of people "hidden" in his living room!
Hi All

Thanks to all for giving me info on the hotel and resort; it brings it all a bit closer, especially as all the reviews seem good.

Do you recommend going on the trips with First Choice, or using outside companies, if there are any?

Also, re the hotel rooms, is the mini bar part of the all inclusive, or is that extra?

Thanks
Pam
The tours are all run through the Cuban Government you can posibly get a private taxi or someone may ask you if one of their relatives can take you.
Does anyone know if cocktails are part of the all inclusive deal at this hotel?

I do like my pina colada!

Thanks
Pam
yes everything is included even catermaran rides are free you can use the canoes snorkeling equipment etc, this is one hotel where all-inclusive really means all inclusive it is fab.
What airport do you land at and what is the transfer time?
Lorraine
Airport Holguin, transfer about an hour. Tip try to get to thef ront of the arrivals queue everybody hasr to be checked individually (You go through a booth where they check your passport) If you get through early it gives you time to change some money before boarding your transfer coach.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.