Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Back again. Have just been emailed with our 4th flight change, booked with travel republic, manchester to Dalaman. Up until today we were on flight BD8317 leaving on 20th July. This has just changed to FHY606 which I think is a Turkish airline. Any info on this would be greatly received, particularly baggage allowance. we are still booked to return with BMI, flight BD8312 on 4th Aug. Do we have any rights to cancel the booking after being messed about so much? What constitutes a major booking change. Although non of ourflights have changed more than a few hours times have ranged from 7.30am to 8pm. This has resulted in four taxi changes both here and in Turkey. Have not received any tickets yet so don't feel confident enough to make more changes as I'm not convinced this will be our fina lflight time. Thanks. Annette.
annettev,

FHY is the flight prefix of Freebird Airlines. You'll find more information on the dedicated thread. They operate Airbus A320/1-200's. Luggage alowance depends on the nature of the charter, but is normally 20kg hold + 5kg hand luggage. You'll find more information on Freebirds website. Unless the changes constitude a major change from your original timings, as detailed in the Terms and Conditions, there's not much you can do. A major change is normally defined as a change of more than 12 hours. You'll have to take that up with whoever you booking your flights / holiday with.

Darren
technically this almost certainly isn't a BMI problem, it's a Travel Republic issue. It sounds like they've promised you (and others) a flight they can't get and are now chasing around trying to cover their bookings. I seem to remember another thread about this sort of thing a few months ago.
Annette - I've had a similar problem. I was booked on the same flight as you, and booked it specifically because we wanted a day-time flight. We've only been moved once (so far!) but now on a flight that gets in at 1.30am - not what you want when you have young children and need to pick up a hire car! Apparently, because its less than 12 hours, its a "minor change" so we're not entitled to a refund.

I've phoned both Travel Republic and the charter company they used (Custom Flights) but got no sense out of either of them. they basically seem to be saying that they buy a block of seats off BMI and then BMI can do what they like with them, but I suspect because there's three different parties involved, they all just pass the blame onto each other. The only thing I do know is that the whole industry stinks - they seem to be able to do what the hell they like whilst the customer has absolutely no recourse.
Custom Flights - now there's a name that we've had before!

as an example, read http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=132849

I'm now even more convinced that BMI have never heard of either of you!
Thankyou Darren for you patient answers to all my questions. Just one more I promise. We have finally received our tickets from travel republic. Our flight code is FHY606 flying at 11.25 on 20/07 from Manchester to Dalaman. I cannot find this flight on Manchester airport website or in the flight check book which a taxi driver friend had. Does the flight exist, having nightmares about turning up for a non existent flight. thanks again. Annette.
annettev,

Your flights won't show on Manchester airports website as they are ad-hoc charters. They only show the main schedule and charter airlines. The book was probably printed before the flight was arranged. The flight exists, don't panic!

Darren
Hi Darren , please can you help me , we have just printed out our custom flights tickets , bournemouth-dalamen 23rd july BD7647 , and on the baggage allowance it actuall says 20 kgs in total , so forgive me if you think i'm being stupid but does that mean for both (including hand) or will that just mean the suitcase , hope you can help
simon m,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away with work all week. Since it's a bmi charter, baggage allowances are determined by the charter agreement rather the airline. If your tickets state 20kg total (with no further reference to hand luggage), I would assume that to mean a combination of 15kg hold and 5kg hand. It might be worth a quick phone call to whoever you booked the holiday with to double check.

Darren
I actually phoned BMI yesterday to ask about baggage allowance, and was told to get in touch with the tour operator. I also asked if there would be an inflight meal provided, and was told "no". I am flying to Dalaman from Manchester on 10th August by the way.
Hi,

I'm here to answer my own question about online check-in with BMI Baby and seat allocation.

During the process they try one more time to sell seat selection, I just clicked past and received seat allocation of 19E,19F and 20A, 20B. It's my wife travelling with our 11. 10 and 5 year old. So obviously she will sit with the 5 year old and the other 2 separate. They were seq 2 to 5 on the check in so I would question whether BMI have done all they can to sit a family group together. The 11 and 10 year old are quite happy and the flight is only short (under 1 hour), at least they wont have to face the Ryanair scrum!

Hope this is of use to anyone trying to find this info.

Dan
I have recieved my tickets yesterday, I fly with bmi charter for thomas cook package holiday,. I was told 1st that I would fly from T3, then thomas cook told me last sunday T1, now on the tickets it states T3, wish they would make there minds up, just hope its final now and we are actually flying from T3, Fly to malaga from manchester sunday 9th august, 8.20am, so will be at airport early around 4am as I dont want to go to the wrong Terminal or if they decide to change it, I prefer T1..Used to work in T3 when it was called British airways terminal... :sun2
kazza36,

Someone needs to do their research before sending out the information!! Thomas Cook operate out of MAN Terminal 1, Bmi Terminal 3, charter or not (it won't change). Bmi operated out of Terminal 1 up to 1st June 2006. They moved to Terminal 3 from that date to consolidate their operations through a single terminal due to their large number of domestic services. I bet whoever sent out the information assumed it was T1 because it was for Thomas Cook.

Darren
I have been travelling with BMI Baby 3 times a year for the last 4 years from Birmingham to Belfast

Always use on line check in and always carried my little cabin suitcase no problem at all

When I have checked in before I could always pick my seat for free , but now they have changed it and allocate you your seat unless you pay the extra I was allocated 23C and my partner 23D no problem only separated by the aisle and its only a short flight.

So go through security with my case and boarding pass - As we get to the gate we are all stopped and our suitcases were all measured by putting in the BMI Baby measuring cage (Thats what i think it is called) . Mine fitted just ,but, if they didnt you were charged £ 30.00 and had to put the baggage in the hold.

On getting on the plane I am expecting people to be sitting in 23A & B also in 23E & F no we had the whole row to our selves obviously allocate aisle seats first

On holiday in Belfast I was getting quiet paranoid about return journey what with measuring the cabin baggage - so did not buy anything !!!

Again checked in on line allocated seats at back of plane again not a problem.

Went through security and onto gate and the cage was there again, so I thought I would check my case again . My case in this cage was at least an inch too big all around to fit in , my partners case which fitted quiet easily in Birmingham would not fit . I am now getting quiet stressed thinking we are going to have to pay the £ 30.00 each as obviously our cases will not fit in the cage . I could not believe the difference in the 2 cages . What I couldn't understand was if you fly out with your hand baggage and it fitted in on departure why wont it fit on the return !!! :que :que

This is just to warn people using only cabin baggage allowance

Lucky enough they did not measure the baggage on the return journey as my cheap week end away could of been a lot more expensive.

Ed
That raises an interesting issue. The BMI Baby website states hand baggage limits as 55cm x 40cm x 20cm so it's easy enough to check before you set off - but I'd take a tape measure with you. If they're using undersized cages and then wrongly claiming baggage charges it would a job for Trading Standards, there was a case a couple of years ago where an airport was prosecuted because their scales were wrong and were overcharging people. On the other hand, if your bag was oversized and one cage was too big you were lucky. Reading their FAQ page I get the impression they have been taking lessons form Ryanair in how to bump up extra charges.
My wife has just returned from Knock and they are getting keen with the charges...on boarding at Birmingham they announced that all bags would have to put in the cage and if they didn't fit it would be £30 a piece for them to go in the hold....the man in front of my wife had a large but soft bag he said to the ground staff "believe you me I will get this bag in there....whether or not I can get it out is another matter!"...they allowed him to pass. My wife had two PLAINLY IDENTICAL wheeled suitcases which we knew were within the dimensions, the first one was placed in the cage and it fitted, the agent then said "now the other one" my wife replied "you can see they're EXACTLY the same"...she was made to put it in as well...how jobsworth is that!!!?

Dan
Hi there

I'm sorry if i'm about to ask questions that have been asked a dozen times in this thread already. We're travelling tomorrow and i've laid flat out all day after hurting my back at work yesterday (the joys of nursing)... So i'm currently doped on painkillers and hoping we will actually make it to the airport! (and not a thing is packed yet!)

We're travelling on BD8351 from Manchester to Dalaman departing 20-25 tomorrow. I gather this is a BMI charter flight? Our flights have been changed so often I started to lose track! Can someone tell me what plane we will be on and what the seat pitch is like please? Also, can anyone confirm the baggage allowance. I've checked online and some info says 20kg inclusive of hand baggage, others 20kg hold, plus 5kg hand. Tickets just say 20kg.. Last question (I promise) can you pool your luggage allowance between all members of your party travelling together?

Many thanks in advance!
Digi,

That's correct, BD8351/2 are bmi charter flights operated by an Airbus A320-200. You'll find lots or aircraft information on our What Aircraft guide including my trip reports when I was on the flight a few years back. Seat pitch is 30". The luggage allowance should be on your tickets. It's normally 20kg hold allowance and 5kg hand luggage, but it depends what the charter contract is with whoever you've booked with. Many now state 20kg inclusive of 5kg hand luggage. You can pool your allowance as far as I know, but again it depends on the terms and they won't accept anything greater than 23kg. I would avoid doing it if possible just in case and save your back if nothing else! I hope it's better for your holiday.

Darren
Thanks Dazbo for your quick reply! :)

There is me, hubby and 14 yr old son going... I've finally mastered the art after years of practice regarding travelling light... I don't need half a dozen pairs of shoes... just 2 will do! I was just trying to work out if we could get everything in to two cases to save me having to take one by pooling with hubby (son can manage his own!!) but it would probably mean one case would be nearer the high 20's. Didn't realise BMI have a 23kg limit... I thought it was a labelled 32kg limit for health and safety reasons
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.