Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
im off to bodrum later this month and wanted to know if ill be able to watch st helens vs hull in the challenge cup semi finals thanks ian the saint
If its shown on any Sky sports channel, then yep, you'll be able to find loads of bars, hotels etc that will show it.

Elaine
i went to Gumbet last year with a couple of mates and had a brilliant time and i thought the area was really nice with plenty of things to do.

However i would reinterate the comments of others in that i would definatly not consider it as a location for a honeymoon.
Hey guys! i went to marmaris last year and was so impressed that i'm going again this month. for next year i may go to Bodrum, heard that it is quite good, like marmaris but how does it compare?! anybody know!
Hey!
Do any of you have any experience of the Istankoy Hotel in Bodrum? I'm going in August and found a lack of reviews on the net!
Fi :D
Hi fi,

I got back from the Istankoy earlier today, it was great!

Location was ideal for us, wasn't right smack dab in the centre but was only a two minute stroll down the back street till you were on the sea front (the hub of the action) It meant you could sleep at night without being interrupted yet all the action is on the doorstep...and we didn't get woken by the daily prayers at any point either, always a bonus!

The hotel itself was alright, pool and all the areas were very clean, though our room resembled a box more than hotel rooms we've been to before. There was only a small window and no balcony. Didn't cause as much problems as we initially though it was, just meant to got up and went up, sampleing the Bodrum sights rather than sitting on the balcony.

The staff are extremely friendly, though I'd suggest putting all you things in the safety deposit boxes at reception, as my phone was stolen from the room. The management were helpful, but said they couldn't work out who it was. :? It didn't affect the holiday overall though, not much could have.

I think there was entertainment at the hotel most night (one being a typical turkish night with belly dancing, break dancing and turkish folk dancing) though we didn't go to any of these as we tended to explore the area. Though it always seemed busy.

We didn't have a rep either, but there was a 24 hour help-line which promised to have a rep with you in a short time if there was any problems (which we didn't have, except the theft of the phone which was sorted without them) . I'd definately recommend going on the 'welcome day tour' basically a welcome meeting but done in a bar in Gumbet.

I'd also reccomend going on a boat trip with 'BodEX' (it located just over the road from the Istankoy on the right hand side) Was half the price of the Thomson one, and only had around 15 people on it, a lot nicer than a few we saw that were packed like sardines!

There is a review somewhere on the net, thats why we chose that over the Kilavuz (sp?) I'll try and find it for you.

Hope this helps, I just read over it and it seems like I'm moaning on. I'm not, and apparently some of the rooms have balconys so you may get one.

Such a good holiday, and the hotel was fine for what we needed it for. Can't wait to go back, and I'd definately stay at the Istankoy again!

Amy
Help. just booked up to go to hotel baia bodrum but cant seem to find any reviews on this hotel. Can anyone help me out?
Anyone know what channels are available on TV at hotels in Bodrum?
Hoping they have SkyNews and a music channel.
Not sure if all the hotel would be the same, but we had BBC Prime, BBC World, and a couple of turkish ones (turkish music channels but no english ones)
Thank you Amy!
I'm glad you seemed to enoy your holiday and i hope the hotel is as good as it sounds! Its a good job i don't intend to spend too much time in my room if they're small! Sorry to hear about you phone :cry: i shall take up your advice on using the safety deposit boxes! Do you have to pay for them :?:
I'm really excited now! :!: Thanks for the info :!:
:D *fi* :D
Think I'm going to book next years hols at the end of the season...jealously is not a good trait! You'll have a fab time...if you're unsure you can always pass your tickets on to me?! :lol:

About the safety deposit boxes, yes you do have to pay for them, I think its either £5 or £10 a week, can't quite remember, but yes they are definately worth it. Next time I'll be taking an alarm clock instead of my moby, all I used my phone for was an alarm!

Oh and definately get air-conditioning, its the best bit of money we spent there, colded the room to arctic temperatures in a couple of mins. Was £20 for a week.

Have fun!
Hi Guys,

I just got back from Bodrum and discovered this restaurant that I had never tried before. I really don't know how, as it is located on the main road opposite the harbour! It is called Eski Ev and it is a really cute restaurant with a great atmosphere (we went there two nights in a row, thats how much we enjoyed it! :) ) And the best part is, it is soooo unbelieveably cheap!! Here are some examples of their prices:

Mezes: 2,50 YTL each
Beer: 2,50 YTL
Small Bottle of Raki (35 cl): 20 YTL
Vegetable Casserole: 4 YTL (That is a main course!!)
Meatballs, grills etc: around 5-6 YTL

This is a proper, nice restaurant; not a "lokanta" and the food is quite nice. And yes, they do bring "the" bread and the garlic butter :) :)
Going this weekend and I want to know what the tap water is like in Bodrum area and what are the toilets like in terms of toilet paper?
it is reccomended to drink bottled water (very cheap to buy) & toilet paper goes in the bin provided (not down the toilet itself) :D
DO NOT DRINK THE TAP WATER !!! - Even the locals don`t normally drink it. You will end with a very bad case of the runns! Bottled water is very inexpensive. Also avoid ice unless it is mineral water ice cubes.
Most toilets i have been to do have toilet paper ( Bars restaurants hotel) - but a small pack of tissues in your handbag may come in handy in public toilets.

Have a great holiday!

Louise
small pack of tissues in your handbag

Some Excellent advice for Tim :lol:

Thanks I will do the same :D
Ok. Thanks for the advice girls. :D
Hi. Just back from my second trip to Bodrum,(picked your brains last year) and I guess i am as hooked as everybody else, haha. Stayed at the same apartments, dolphin, but I had family next door in the Gardenya (yes I managed to drag some more along and they can't wait to go back either!)
The Gardenya were nicer and better equiped so when I go back next year I'll try for them. I must tell you about a little gem of a bar that hubby discovered out scouting for water late at night. It was called the Honeymoon Bar. Only 3lira for a large beer! :lol: If anybody knows where Jimmy's Bar is just down from the dolphin apartments, then they will know the road that you can use as a short cut to the town. The bar sits on the left hand side just before the little supermarket on the corner. Ali, who runs it along with his brother Tahir made our holiday great. They feed you fruit, most of it grown on the premises, and let us use their pool, which was great after a days shopping. Hot weather, a quiet pool and a great stack of grapes or melon and pringles!!....mmmm. Miss it already! :cry: Funny guys oh happy days. Can't wait till next year. Its a pity Turkey closes for the winter. :wink:
hi all
new to this forum,very useful when booking hols.
off to bodrum for the first time in sept, staying in the etap altinel, no reviews anywhere, anybody any info please and whats bodrum like, been to fethiye, fell in love with the place, hope bodrum is as good.
flying with onur, bad reviews everywhere, has anybody got a good word for this airline
:wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.