Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
We booked one other than with Balkan, and ended up on a mixed nationality coach and were the only English. There were comprehensive commentaries in German and French and one liners in English if at all.

It was an excursion from 7am to 1am the following morning to Veliko Turnovo, and we were really glad to get back. We went to the nearest bar and downed cheteri sto gram of Pliska apiece. When we complained, we found the Germans had already done so for us!

The tour company owner took us out for lunch the next day, and assured us that particular guide was no longer employed.

Peter
That sounds like a bit of an ordeal! We went on a jeep safari in Malta (booked through Thompson) and were the only English - the rest being a mixture of French, German, Swiss and Swedes, though everyone was very nice to us and we had our full commentary. The guide thought it was hilarious when he would go through the other languages and then say now for the english in the back! But it was all in good spirits and we had fun. The guy was a nutter anyway.

So I suppose you pay your money and take your chances if you are getting it cheap.
BTW, what had the germans complained about - you or the service you had ;)
So I suppose you pay your money and take your chances if you are getting it cheap.

Wasn't cheap, the going rate in fact, and we were assured we would have an English commentary.
BTW, what had the germans complained about - you or the service you had

Well I didn't mention the war :haha !! They were definitely on our side, perhaps the German commentary was rubbish.

Peter
Joking apart the problem is not getting a competent English guide, or being one of a number of languages catered for, and that's tedious. If they put English last on the list, you are miles past before you are told about it.

I think Balkan are just about all embracing in what they offer, but how about chatting up a friendly English speaking taxi driver? We have a time or two, and it's worked OK.

Peter
If they put English last on the list, you are miles past before you are told about it.

This is exactly the problem if you use a local agency. But one times we went on a 2-day-trip (including Veliko Tarnovo Peter ;) ). We set up an international tourist group, composed of four Russians, four Englishmen, two Polish and two German. We had at our disposal four tourist guides, so each group had its own interpreter. It was great!

Manfred
Hi - yes. It does all seem a bit hit and miss. We talked with one of the cab drivers last year who sit along the main road with maps and trips advertised on the side of the cab. I can't remember how much exactly it was going to cost but it was quite expensive with just two in the car, but then again, we would have got personal atttention and he said there were lots of things to stop off and see on the way. We decided against it at the time as we had booked a few things through the rep already and there wasn't much left in the trip budget and we thought as well, we should save something for this year. However, it seemed like you would see more than on the bog standard coach tour. So maybe instead of shelling out for a few trips, we will pay for one special one and get our money's worth :tup
Hi, its well worth tapping up the local Taxi Drivers, I use them a lot and on trips they know the best places to stop for refreshments away from the regular Coach Stops, for instance 2 years ago four of us went to Nessbar and we saved enough on Fares for us and a Taxi driver to have a good meal, also on way bach we stopped at a little place, 3 Beers, 1 Fanta, Coffee and pure orange, I got change out of 5 Lev. Tonyt.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.